Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Way Ahead for Kansans to on road title MV stamped Off Road Use

Private
    Thanks

No so lucky here.

Private
    Thanks

Heard back from the Senators and his staff is finishing up some research and may have a temporary solution. MTF.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 11C 31A For This Useful Post:

98G (04-24-2018), Flyingvan911 (04-24-2018)

Thanks

Last time I was at the county we discussed the HMMWV issue. The state sent out an email to the county treasures offices advising them the vehicles sold through GP have off-road titles. I don’t remember the state they said GP is originally titling the vehicles in but there is a ‘code’ on the title saying it is an off-road title only. She said KS was originally titling these with regular titles because they did not see the code. I didn’t ask if they switched the previous titles to off road titles.

I have been been trying to get a trailer titled that I purchased off GP (wanted the title if I decided to sell it and I already paid the sales tax). I have always titled in my name with the SF97. GP does the forms different that GL and GSA. In the past my name has been listed as the buyer with no reassignment needed. GP issues the SF97 with them listed as the buyer and then a reassignment to me. According to the county that does not work for the state. I argued with GP for awhile and they sent me a reassignment form from another state showing GP as a dealer. County decided that would be ok but then needed a different form because I paid Indiana sales tax and Kansas needs documentation that the sales tax was actually paid to Indiana.

I have pretty much given up on the title since it is only a trailer and if needed I have different options to get a title in my name.

I hope they get this all straightened out and it doesn’t get worse.
    Matt

M35a2c-with tracks! (The one that started it all!) SOLD
    M35a2
    M923a1
    M103
    M105a3
    M105
    M101a3
    M1101

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MKD73 For This Useful Post:

11C 31A (04-26-2018), 98G (04-27-2018)

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

If you are willing to pay the KS sales tax, you probably could skip the 'different form' and get your trailer title. Most states honor tax paid in another state as part of a vehicle purchase-titling process. But they want proof you paid the tax in the other state and will still charge you the difference if the other state tax rate was lower then your state. I bet if you tell the county you are willing to pay KS the appropriate sales tax on the purchase price of your trailer, you could proceed in the titling process. Might be cheaper then the hassle of obtaining the magic proof of tax payment from Indiana.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadParrot For This Useful Post:

98G (04-27-2018)

Colonel
    Thanks

We have got the Louisiana bill revised for second time and was voted in and passed first vote . 3 more to go . We got all restrictions for use removed and only have no interstate use unless no other access and still has 21 year old or older . Not sure why on that but they said it was for the larger trucks that’s why . But way better than it started

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Al Capone For This Useful Post:

98G (04-27-2018)

Thanks

That is where we were at until they realized the invoice was from one state, SF97 had a different address and the reassignment was a 3rd State. County requested a letter from GP linking the different offices together.
    County wanted a letter from GP stating when the tax was paid to Indiana. I was told if I paid Kansas tax I ‘could’ get reimbursed for the Indiana tax.

Honestly it used to be very simple and no issues at all. Guess the popularity has worked against the registration process.
    Matt

M35a2c-with tracks! (The one that started it all!) SOLD
    M35a2
    M923a1
    M103
    M105a3
    M105
    M101a3
    M1101

Colonel
    Thanks

I had to pay taxes to gov planet when I bought it . Then I got it registered and paid taxes again and gov planet refunded me taxes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2