• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Way Ahead for Kansans to on road title MV stamped Off Road Use

11C 31A

I recently got an M998 and was disappointed that I could not title it for on road in the State of Kansas since it was stamped “off road”. Currently there is no way in Kansas to make a previously designated “off road” vehicle capable of getting an on road title. I contacted Senator Tom Hawk and he seems receptive to drafting legislation to make a way for Kansans to on road title surplus military vehicles. His staff did a good job of researching the other states that have passed legislation to allow for titling these vehicles. He said he would check with his Committee Chair, Senator Petersen and ranking member Senator Pettey to see about possible bill and it having a chance to pass. More to follow on that. Now is the time to contact those three senators to drum up support for this action as it is fresh on their minds. Their information is:
Senator Tom Hawk – tom.hawk@senate.ks.gov
Senator Pat Pettey – pat.pettey@senate.ks.gov
Senator Mike Petersen – mike.petersen@senate.ks.gov

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing about attracting the notice of legislators is that they're as likely to make things worse as they are to make things better.

Let's hope they look at KY, TN, ID, and MT when they're crafting their proposed bill, and not at VA, LA, FL, OK or MI.

I'm wondering just what KS law the HMMWV runs afoul of. I mean, it's legal in KS for me to drive my John Deere tractor on the roads.... I regularly see overwidth, overheight, slow, nonsignal-having farm implements going down the road, as well as those Polaris 4wheelers....

11C 31A

Below was part of the response I got from one senators research team.
"Information received from the Division of Vehicles and the Kansas Highway Patrol confirm the vehicle currently cannot be registered in Kansas. As noted below, the “off-road” label on the vehicle’s federal government title equivalent means only an off-road title may be issued. According to the Patrol, the officer should have recommended a nonhighway title. KSA 2017 Supp. 8-116a authorizes the Patrol to inspect vehicles to ensure no parts are stolen, and a Patrol spokesperson says that part of the inspection should have been performed. (Kansas required periodic vehicle safety inspections only from 1974 into 1983; the Patrol remains authorized to stop and inspect vehicles for safety reasons [KSA 8-1759, 8-1759a]. Emissions inspections are not required in Kansas.) No statute appears to authorize a non-highway vehicle to be reclassified as a highway vehicle. (Statutes do authorize cities to authorize use of all-terrain vehicles and golf carts on certain streets and under certain circumstances; the cities may impose additional requirements on operation.)"

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing about attracting the notice of legislators is that they're as likely to make things worse as they are to make things better.

Let's hope they look at KY, TN, ID, and MT when they're crafting their proposed bill, and not at VA, LA, FL, OK or MI.

I'm wondering just what KS law the HMMWV runs afoul of. I mean, it's legal in KS for me to drive my John Deere tractor on the roads.... I regularly see overwidth, overheight, slow, nonsignal-having farm implements going down the road, as well as those Polaris 4wheelers....
Farming has it's own rules , the federal right to farm act supersedes most state laws and federal wetland laws.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about all the HMMWVs GP sold with nonbranded titles?

What about people who move to KS with a HMMWV street titled from one of the more friendly states who want to re-register in KS?

My point, which is moot at this point, is that attracting legislator attention is as likely to get "no military vehicle can be registered or titled in KS" as it is to get "ok, we'll now title HMMWVs for the street in KS ".

Anyway, I watch with interest to see how it turns out.

Flyingvan911

Kansas is usually pretty good with MV's. My guess is they couldn't care less if it's a HMMWV. It's the off-road only that tells them that whatever it is isn't supposed to be on the road. Registering the Mutts (no titles, just a bill of sale) has always been a piece of cake for us East Wind guys.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Kansas is usually pretty good with MV's. My guess is they couldn't care less if it's a HMMWV. It's the off-road only that tells them that whatever it is isn't supposed to be on the road. Registering the Mutts (no titles, just a bill of sale) has always been a piece of cake for us East Wind guys.
The reason the Mutts are easy is age, older than 35 yrs just need a BOS.

Last time I was at an inspection location it was with a M38 I had sold, the Patrolman asked before we said what it was that if a HMMWV just to leave. He then told us that a guy had come in with one from MO with a fresh antique title (25 in Mo) in his brothers name, he ran the Vin saw it was released with a ORO and gave the guy 2 options either leave with it and go home or go a head and insist on a vin inspection and he would be forced to impound it.
We got the state law revised on MV's years ago 2012, one of the factors was davesgmc had a Ferret with an Il title and the they would not title it in KS. The various MVPA folks in the state got together and lobbied. I agree with 98G and hope attracting the notice of legislators doesn't make things worse as they are to make things better.
http://www.mvpa.org/2018/02/09/titling-registration/
The law as it stands now
Model Legislation from Kansas

all-terrain vehicles and golf carts are only allowed on Non-state hwy roads in certain counties and towns.

Last edited:

11C 31A

With the fact that very few of these where ever auctioned without the off road use only stamp we need a means of getting them put back to on road in the state of Kansas. We should not have to rely on trying to get one to slip through based on some county clerk or inspectors ignorance of the states intent. I think it is more of an education issue on those that make the laws and subsequently those that process the paperwork. Unlike other states, you can't shop around your registration office, unless I'm mistaken you have to do it in the county of your residence. Unless folks want to store a HUMVEE for years until it is considered an antique, which in a lot of states is only 25 years but KS is 35, then we need to work on some new legislation.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be nice if they'd include former MVs under the antique vehicle rules, without regard to date of manufacture.

That'd be a quick easy fix, and former MVs of any vintage have similar use profiles to antiques...

I read through the current legislation. I find it amusing that a half track with a quad 50 mount can be registered for use on KS streets, but a HMMWV can't.

As to the comment "very few hmmwv have been sold with clean titles", I guess we have different definitions of "very few". GP sells some every week with unrestricted titles.

11C 31A

I was referring to the SF97. If you look at GovPlanet they even say when asked if HMMVWs are street legal, "Not to start with. HMMWVs from the DLA cannot be taken on the road until you meet your state’s vehicle inspection requirements, and receive a state title and registration from your local DMV or State titling authority. However, some HMMWVs are sold on consignment, where the previous owner may already received proper titling and registration. Not all states will accept out of state titling documents on HMMWVs or other Former Military Vehicles. Please ensure that you contact your state titling/registration authority for your individual state’s requirements." and when asked what the SF97 is for they respond "The SF97 is a U.S. government-issued certificate that can be used to obtain a title for a vehicle. HMMWVs from the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) will have “off-road use only” stamped onto the SF97, where units from other sellers will not. All SF97s will be assigned to IronPlanet, and then re-assigned to (you) the buyer, utilizing a standard dealer re-assignment letter. Please check with your appropriate titling agency in your state to ensure that this letter is acceptable. If your state has unique requirements in regards to titling Former Military Vehicles, please contact customer service so that we can work together in ensuring you have the adequate re-assignment paperwork for your state. SF97s will typically arrive via FedEx or USPS within 30 - 60 Business days of EUC approval. For more information, visit our SF97 page."

11C 31A

Per Govplanet website.

What is an SF97 and what is it good for? The SF97 is a U.S. government-issued certificate that can be used to obtain a title for a vehicle. HMMWVs from the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) will have “off-road use only” stamped onto the SF97, where units from other sellers will not. All SF97s will be assigned to IronPlanet, and then re-assigned to (you) the buyer, utilizing a standard dealer re-assignment letter. Please check with your appropriate titling agency in your state to ensure that this letter is acceptable. If your state has unique requirements in regards to titling Former Military Vehicles, please contact customer service so that we can work together in ensuring you have the adequate re-assignment paperwork for your state. SF97s will typically arrive via FedEx or USPS within 30 - 60 Business days of EUC approval. For more information, visit our SF97 page.

Are HUMMWV's street legal? Not to start with. HMMWVs from the DLA cannot be taken on the road until you meet your state’s vehicle inspection requirements, and receive a state title and registration from your local DMV or State titling authority. However, some HMMWVs are sold on consignment, where the previous owner may already received proper titling and registration. Not all states will accept out of state titling documents on HMMWVs or other Former Military Vehicles. Please ensure that you contact your state titling/registration authority for your individual state’s requirements.

MKD73

Last time I was at the county we discussed the HMMWV issue. The state sent out an email to the county treasures offices advising them the vehicles sold through GP have off-road titles. I don’t remember the state they said GP is originally titling the vehicles in but there is a ‘code’ on the title saying it is an off-road title only. She said KS was originally titling these with regular titles because they did not see the code. I didn’t ask if they switched the previous titles to off road titles.

I have been been trying to get a trailer titled that I purchased off GP (wanted the title if I decided to sell it and I already paid the sales tax). I have always titled in my name with the SF97. GP does the forms different that GL and GSA. In the past my name has been listed as the buyer with no reassignment needed. GP issues the SF97 with them listed as the buyer and then a reassignment to me. According to the county that does not work for the state. I argued with GP for awhile and they sent me a reassignment form from another state showing GP as a dealer. County decided that would be ok but then needed a different form because I paid Indiana sales tax and Kansas needs documentation that the sales tax was actually paid to Indiana.

I have pretty much given up on the title since it is only a trailer and if needed I have different options to get a title in my name.

I hope they get this all straightened out and it doesn’t get worse.

DeadParrot

If you are willing to pay the KS sales tax, you probably could skip the 'different form' and get your trailer title. Most states honor tax paid in another state as part of a vehicle purchase-titling process. But they want proof you paid the tax in the other state and will still charge you the difference if the other state tax rate was lower then your state. I bet if you tell the county you are willing to pay KS the appropriate sales tax on the purchase price of your trailer, you could proceed in the titling process. Might be cheaper then the hassle of obtaining the magic proof of tax payment from Indiana.

Al Capone

We have got the Louisiana bill revised for second time and was voted in and passed first vote . 3 more to go . We got all restrictions for use removed and only have no interstate use unless no other access and still has 21 year old or older . Not sure why on that but they said it was for the larger trucks that’s why . But way better than it started

MKD73

That is where we were at until they realized the invoice was from one state, SF97 had a different address and the reassignment was a 3rd State. County requested a letter from GP linking the different offices together.
County wanted a letter from GP stating when the tax was paid to Indiana. I was told if I paid Kansas tax I ‘could’ get reimbursed for the Indiana tax.

Honestly it used to be very simple and no issues at all. Guess the popularity has worked against the registration process.

dbarker02

We personally have never had a problem
getting “on road” registration here in Oklahoma.
we own several, including a Hmmwv.
can you tell me the process you used? I'm about to pull the trigger on a hmmwv and want to have everything in order to make it as easy as possible.

Jesse Dorman

You can see why there is confusion still, somehow these are able to get on road titles..

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks