• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M49a2c

msw0932

Here’s my story...

I am the proud new owner of a 1962 Lansing Division White Motor Company M49A2C.

I have absolutely zero need for this tanker Deuce, however it is still a deuce and someone has to own it. I already own an M37.... and that’s great for my 3 year old daughter, but I have a son on the way and he’s going to need a truck of his own. Why not a Deuce?

In a perfect world it would be the cleanest M35A2 or 3, but this one is a start.

I have done some looking at the truck once I got it home and am pretty sure the tank is going to come off. I honestly believe this is a Frankenstein rebuild at some point. It bears all the indicators of an updated M49C to an M49A2C from the cab forward, however the tank appears to be still from the M49C. The tank is divided into three compartments: 600, 400 and 200 gallons. There are three levers next to the pump in the back. Also the sides of the tank over the wheels have cutouts and are not at the same height as the wheel wells. The motor is a White Multi-fuel, non-turbo. And there is the engagement switch for the front axle on the dash.

I know the purists will jump on me for asking.... but is there really a want for this tank? It has been sitting outside in a stone based yard for many years... the dirt that has collected on it not only has moss, but there were roots from weeds on it too. From quick glance there is a cast manifold coming from the tank into the pump that is shattered, rust on the tank and plenty of dents.

My options at this point is to work on the truck to make it roadworthy, and maybe trade for an M35, or strip the tank and wait for a bed to appear from someone bobbing their Deuce or make a flatbed. Looking for opinions. And if the consensus is to scrap the tank, should I waste time pulling parts off of it, for those who need them, or let the crusher handle it?

Anyways, thanks for the help and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Construction companies typically want those for dust control water trucks. They do not want projects, rather trucks that run and are ready to go. Collectors/enthusiasts like yourself don't get excited about fuel/water trucks because they can't carry a bed full of fun-seekers. Scrap yard will freak out when they see that it is a fueler and go on and on about how it will need to be triple steam cleaned etc. My random thoughts.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I vote for you to keep it original...or at least how it came to you...but, it is yours to do as you wish! I think the truck could be rare given that the bed looks like it was originally built like that to accommodate the 1100 singles. It looks to me like the cargo beds on the older trucks that originally came with 1100 singles (M34s). You don't see a lot of them...not sure how many were built.

rustystud

Personally, I vote for you to keep it original...or at least how it came to you...but, it is yours to do as you wish! I think the truck could be rare given that the bed looks like it was originally built like that to accommodate the 1100 singles. It looks to me like the cargo beds on the older trucks that originally came with 1100 singles (M34s). You don't see a lot of them...not sure how many were built.
I have that bed on my 1954 REO M34 that was originally a "Decontamination" rig.

rustystud

I was thinking of getting rid of mine. Now that I know they are rare maybe I'll clean it up and reuse it. Though the right rear corner got hit by an excavator bucket a few years ago. kind of caved in that section a bit.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the M34 style bed looks very distinct and much better than the stock M35 bed. This truck with 11.00R20 or 385 on MRAP wheels (for the not-so-purist) would look really good.
The fuel tanks were either stainless or mild steel (the water tanks were always stainless). Cleaning it out, making it work (even if it pumps "only" water) would be a great showpiece that you can also have a bit of fun with!

Also, nothing can lay a smoke screen like a non-turbo LDS! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks