• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-805B Oil in coolant

Guyfang

Staff member
ABEZGRIPPING ACCOMMODATION TYPEANY ACCEPTABLE
ABKVOUTSIDE DIAMETER4.625 INCHES NOMINAL
ABKWOVERALL HEIGHT1.500 INCHES NOMINAL
AGEJSYSTEM FOR WHICH DESIGNEDPRESSURIZED
AGEXCAM QUANTITY3
AGEZRETAINING DEVICE TYPECHAIN
AJQTRETAINING DEVICE LENGTH7.000 INCHES NOMINAL
ALGNPRESSURE RELIEF METHODMANUAL
BPHDMAXIMUM WORKING PRESSURE3.000 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH
CBBLFEATURES PROVIDEDBREATHER HOLE AND SUBMERSIBLE
CQSTFILLER NECK DIAMETER FOR WHICH DESIGNED2.375 INCHES NOMINAL
MARKSPECIAL MARKINGSVALVE INSIDE,OPEN-NORMAL CLOSED,FORDING-VAPOR LOCK
MATTMATERIALANY ACCEPTABLE OVERALL
PRPYPROPRIETARY CHARACTERISTICSPACS
SFTTSURFACE TREATMENTANY ACCEPTABLE OVERALL
STYLSTYLE DESIGNATOROUTSIDE CAM TYPE
ZZZTNONDEFINITIVE SPEC/STD DATA2 TYPE

Above is info on the cap.

We used liquid simple green to get oil out of the radiator. Seemed to work well.

baxter462

Thanks Guy!

Where it says, "cam quantity 3," does that refer to the lugs that engage with the cam ramps on the filler neck? I swear I only saw two lugs last night, but I'll look again tonight when I get home.

Do you think that might be for the fuel cap? I just realized that is a very large outside diameter too.

Guyfang

Staff member
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Yes thats for the fuel cap. I was looking at an old list I made up for every gen set, so I didnt have to look at the parts manual all the time. I will see if I can can come up with tech info on the cap. I am cooking right now, no time!! Be back later!!

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
155mm, you didn't happen to replace the cooling system cap on either of the 805Bs you were working on last year, did you? I'm not having much luck so far trying to find a generic alternative that will work.
the 805b shows a 10# cap, the 804a shows a 7# and the 005a shows a 7#. I did not have to find a cap for the 805, but i did have to build a new gasket to go in it, the original had dry rotted, so i just cut a new one from an old inner tube.

I dont see anything special about the cap, other than the outside is kurled and doesn't have ears. There appears to be enough room to use a standard 'eared' cap.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Yes thats for the fuel cap. I was looking at an old list I made up for every gen set, so I didnt have to look at the parts manual all the time. I will see if I can can come up with tech info on the cap. I am cooking right now, no time!! Be back later!!
Since i am 4000 miles away, I am going to say.... you think that was a senior moment?

Guyfang

Staff member
Must have been a senior moment, I hadn't opened up my nightly beer yet.

There should be room to use any cap there. Sometimes we got them with ears, sometimes not.

Your day will come too!

baxter462

I tried a couple other caps I had laying around, and they all had too large of lugs. Knowing that it is a 10 psi cap certainly helps! I should be able to match one up pretty easily at NAPA with that info. I knew a lot of the other generators use a 7psi cap (such as my 802a), but the 805B was a mystery.

Looks like a Gates 31309 or Stant 10283 might work.

Last edited:

baxter462

The two part numbers above are not correct. They are really close, but they don't have the large diameter seal for the very top of the filler neck that is required since the generator has a coolant overflow bottle. The correct part number is Stant 10293 if anyone else with an 805B ever needs a radiator cap.

baxter462

I put the generator back together over the weekend with the new oil cooler o-rings and gaskets, changed the oil, flushed out the cooling system, added new coolant and replaced the cap. Ran it for a few hours with a 20kW load. So far, so good. Thanks everyone for the advice. I think it is fixed.

baxter462

I flushed it twice. First, I used about half a gallon of simple green, then I drained it, rinsed with water, then I used some prestone cooling system flush. I was going to try some powdered laundry or dish detergent, but I already had simple green and the prestone flush, so I figured I might as well use that. It worked pretty well, but there is still a tiny bit of oily residue. I think if I wipe out the filler neck and the bottom of the cap before each use, it'll probably all be gone soon enough.

Guyfang

Staff member
Whenever we had this problem, it always was a problem with the radiator being the last place the oil hung up. On gen sets, I simply flushed 1-2 times and wiped the radiator neck out once or twice a month. Sooner or later, most of it came out. Once I ran the set for a month, and let the hot coolest out into a filter I rigged up. Put the coolest back in and called it a day. On HEMMT A5 trucks, you had to remove/replace the radiator anyway, to fix the problem if the coolest/oil was mixing, as it was 99.99% the radiator's fault. I never liked to pressure wash a radiator. Saw a few damaged that way. I think you will be good as it is.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Guys, quick question. Is there a preferred coolant brand and type for my Mep 805B? Im also looking for the best motor oil you would recommend. Thanks

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
so are trying to start a fight amongst friends?

any is good as long as you keep it tested and sca/dca up to proper level

uniquify

Is there a preferred coolant brand and type for my Mep 805B? Im also looking for the best motor oil you would recommend. Thanks
There are lots of brands that can work.

Since it has a John Deere engine in it, your local agriculture or construction dealership should have the appropriate fluids. No idea what they'll charge you though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks