• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bendix gear

ExFlyBoy

Looked all over the forum........ can’t find anything in TM’s ....... I need some direction

I have the old style start box( number unknown- it’s been painted over), doesn’t have diagnostic port.
I have the fast on/off on my wait to start light... even with new batteries, clean grounds, and grounding harness
This winter if the block heater was plugged in it would fire right up, now it’s been warm, like 50’s and now she barely wants to start.
In the morning when I start it the bendix gear catches and turns the motor over but just when it seems like it’s going to fire up the gear goes back and starter just spins.....
My question is does the box , which is eventually getting replaced, have anything to do with how the starter preforms? Any help is good help.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its possible the solenoid is going bad. I just replaced 2 on some builds. Alot of times on the starter itself a good cleaning of the armature does wonders. The two I fixed had your same issue, fyi...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I'd agree to check that first, as it's also a very easy fix to do. I had an old straight-6 Firebird that crudded up the solenoid with annoying regularity. I got very good at removing it without disturbing the starter and taking them apart for cleaning. Just a bad location/design on that model vehicle, which tended to pick up a lot of road dirt as well as moisture.

HMMWVs get a lot of dirty use, a solenoid can easily get gunky. Worth a shot.

If that doesn't work, I'm sure some members with greater experience can chime in with other ideas too.

BDGR

NormB

Last time I looked, the solenoid is available through amazon.com for about $40, new in US Govt issue wrap. I bought a spare. Worth looking, cheap insurance.

ExFlyBoy

Well, pulled the starter out......
Mine must be lined in lead.... that thing must weigh 80lbs, I caught with my chest though, lol.
Well cleaned it up, some gunk, but I noticed the drive gear was free spinning ( clockwise and counter clockwise.....) may have found the problem. Ordered a new one, think I’ll rebuild this one and keep it as a spare. Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks