• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible solution for dreaded engine stall when brakes are locked up.

Csm Davis

wow, so negative.
Naw man just a mechanic that sees how engineers screw things up constantly, and you will need much thicker skin if you thought that was negative.
I’m not an engineer, I work at the bowling alley. Davis is a good guy. I just drive him, and most others, nuts sometimes.
Yeah you are just the shoe smeller and ball licker at the bowling alley! Get to twisting wrenches discoball! I would like to at least see you put in the rear window this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

snowtrac nome

News flash abs or not if your converter is in lock up and you slam the brakes fast enough your going to kill the engine I have seen it done several times on ice and had it happen to me once. It is almost impossible to do it on asphalt by the time the brakes have generated enough friction to lock the tires the converter has un locked. The other thing to remember , if you are driving an Allison in slick conditions ,once you lock the tires the trans will shift back to low gear, and there wont be enough resistance to get it to upshift, one has to momentarly accelerate to get the trans to up shift regain control.

Nomadic

The OP wasnt referring to a broken transmission. His thread was in relation to the military mwo to add abs to the trucks. The engine stalled and steering is lost when the brakes locked up stalling the whole driveline. Hint as to why your truck has abs

https://youtu.be/PvW9ISZ6LlM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Being unfamiliar driving these trucks I don't get how they can roll while driving as the video says. How are these trucks rolling over? Does the truck go in a skid sideways and once sideways enough it rolls over?

sandcobra164

Simple enough. Many people who collect these trucks have tons of experience on how to handle such a beast. Flip the coin over and you'll find Soldiers of any kind of background. I've met some who never had a driver's license in their life but now operate big trucks. The M939 series trucks biggest flaw was possibly the automatic transmission. So easy, anybody can drive one! Prior to that, you had to know what a clutch pedal was and how it was used in a medium series truck. I always treat mine as if it's the most dangerous thing on the road, give myself plenty of time to brake and so far have kept everyone safe. My youngest son even hangs onto the bar in front of the dashboard while underway.

Nomadic

Simple enough. Many people who collect these trucks have tons of experience on how to handle such a beast. Flip the coin over and you'll find Soldiers of any kind of background. I've met some who never had a driver's license in their life but now operate big trucks. The M939 series trucks biggest flaw was possibly the automatic transmission. So easy, anybody can drive one! Prior to that, you had to know what a clutch pedal was and how it was used in a medium series truck. I always treat mine as if it's the most dangerous thing on the road, give myself plenty of time to brake and so far have kept everyone safe. My youngest son even hangs onto the bar in front of the dashboard while underway.
How are you keeping your truck from rolling over?

sandcobra164

How are you keeping your truck from rolling over?
Driving as responsibly as possible and avoiding panic braking scenarios. I have also familiarized myself with how the truck feels under threshold braking on quiet country roads. Through this I learned to lower my rear tire air pressure from the 70 psi called for in the technical manual down to 35 psi when running unloaded. Prior to lowering the air pressure the rears would chirp under hard braking which is indicative of the ABS module attempting to keep the truck from locking the rear wheels completely. Now with the air pressure lowered in the rears, it stops hard and evenly when needed. It's a good exercise to try in a remote area. I mostly stick to my first rule though, drive responsible and avoid panic brake scenarios. I constantly scan traffic ahead and around me, something my Dad really instilled in me once I started riding motorcycles. Treat all traffic as if it's going to do exactly what you don't want it to and have a plan to react. It's not a 100% solution but it certainly helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks