• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front axle seal leak

Aernan

I have a leak out of what appears to be my front axle seal on the passenger side. I have found the seal itself and it's on order. Are there any other seals I should order in preparation for the repair? A friend said that most hubs have a paper seal but I see none in the TM.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is it coming from? Hub cover, hub cover plug, back side of hub? From the axle housing? There are 2 ctis seals, a grease seal, and rtv seals. More info would help. If the oil is on the back side of the hub, I have found that the ctis seals have failed, and you may also have oil in the ctis system.

Aernan

Looking under the vehicle the tire itself has oil on it. The king pin area is wet. Everything we can see up in that area is we as well.

Since I will be taking that whole assembly apart are there any additional seals I should order and replace in case I guessed wrong?

scottmandu

There is an inner wheel seal, and CTIS seals in the wheel end. Also you should consider replacing the axle bushing inside the axle tube, a leaky seal is often the symptom of a worn out bushing, it's about $40.00

Scott

Aernan

On the diagram Part 39 I was able to find a "guide ring kit" which has 2 seals and 2 guide rings and a snap ring. That looks like worth replacing. There is another part 61 "bushing sleeve". Is that what you are talking about?

AKAustria

Front Wheel Hub leaking - Looking for resources to fix it!

FCDA7EF7-B1E2-4C05-832A-CB7F1843F2C1.jpg
Where is it coming from? Hub cover, hub cover plug, back side of hub? From the axle housing? There are 2 ctis seals, a grease seal, and rtv seals. More info would help. If the oil is on the back side of the hub, I have found that the ctis seals have failed, and you may also have oil in the ctis system.
Good morning DriverDarrell!

I have been looking for info on front axles/wheels leaking and came across your reply Aernan.
Since this thread didn’t really go anywhere it seems, do you mind steering me in the correct direction if you can?

I have a FMTV 1083A1, year 2000.
The left front wheel is leaking on the inside, and at this point it is hard to tell where exactly from.
I did have both, CTIS and airlines only hand-tight I discovered.
(the left front wheel was also not releasing the front facing brake pad, but I believe this is unrelated)

Could you tell me, or point me in the right direction for replacing seals which could be at fault!?

Thank you,

Andreas

coachgeo

I have been looking for info on front axles/wheels leaking and came across (this).... Could you tell me, or point me in the right direction for replacing seals which could be at fault!?....
odds are you will not even know till you pull her apart; yet it doesn't really matter cause the general procedure due to time consumption, since it is a bit of work, and it is pretty darn heavy stuff to deal with, sometimes a PITA etc.. that when breaking down this area for a repair just go ahead and get ALL replaceable seals and shims etc. that go in the area and do a complete overhaul. Parts are not huge cost on this project while labor time is high; be yourself- but especially if it is someone else who is paid to do it.. if it is yourself.... Another way to look at it is... it's not a job you want to have to go back and redo anytime soon... so just do it all.

Last edited:

AKAustria

odds are you will not even know till you pull her apart; yet it doesn't really matter cause the general procedure due to time consumption, since it is a bit of work, and it is pretty darn heavy stuff to deal with, sometimes a PITA etc.. that when breaking down this area for a repair just go ahead and get ALL replaceable seals and shims etc. that go in the area and do a complete overhaul. Parts are not huge cost on this project while labor time is high; be yourself- but especially if it is someone else who is paid to do it.. if it is yourself.... Another way to look at it is... it's not a job you want to have to go back and redo anytime soon... so just do it all.
There is no arguing there! I completely agree.
Any idea where a complete set of seals and shims can be purchased from?!
Do I have to be careful as far as type/year of truck?
And last question...
Has anyone done a good write-up with pictures on this forum here?
I have searched with a few words, but am getting such a large, non-relevant result. It is a bit cumbersome to be honest.

But everybody here on this forum I had conversations with has been great.

Thank you for your help,

Andy

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no arguing there! I completely agree.
Any idea where a complete set of seals and shims can be purchased from?!
Do I have to be careful as far as type/year of truck?
And last question...
Has anyone done a good write-up with pictures on this forum here?
I have searched with a few words, but am getting such a large, non-relevant result. It is a bit cumbersome to be honest.

But everybody here on this forum I had conversations with has been great.

Thank you for your help,

Andy
I made this document, based off one someone else posted that I felt needed more information to be truly complete. You can find the KIT7178's on eBay under $100, which is a good savings. The annual service kits also contain some of these seals, and can be found for good prices.

Attachments

AKAustria

I made this document, based off one someone else posted that I felt needed more information to be truly complete. You can find the KIT7178's on eBay under $100, which is a good savings. The annual service kits also contain some of these seals, and can be found for good prices.
This is exactly what I was after!
I have decided to rebuild both front hubs with all seals and shims.
Thank you so much for doing the work and putting it all together with working links and the TM description - Awesome!!!!

Can I assume that this will work for my 1083A1?

I definitely need to get my hands on a few special tools for sure.
Almost feel like a tool kit would be handy to have put together and send it as a package to whoever is going to do this rebuild - or would that be too ambitious?

Large axle nut 3 7/8
Brake pad springs remove/install tool
Measuring tool for shims

Again... Thank you so much! Looking forward doing this rebuild and finding out what really is going on inside my hub!

Ronmar

You don't need a brake spring tool. You only really need to do 1 spring end to remove/install the shoes. I used a piece of 1” strap to twist/roll the spring hook out and an old large screwdriver with a notch in the end to put the hook back in the hole. Just did one on Friday and pln on doing another one today. I will take some pics when I do it today...

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need a brake spring tool. You only really need to do 1 spring end to remove/install the shoes. I used a piece of 1” strap to twist/roll the spring hook out and an old large screwdriver with a notch in the end to put the hook back in the hole. Just did one on Friday and pln on doing another one today. I will take some pics when I do it today...
The brake spring tool does help, and considering that they are under $10 are probably worth it. I cussed at the stupid thing for a half hour while trying to do it with pliers and a screwdriver, then just ran across the street to AutoZone and got the pliers, after which it took about 2 minutes.

Ronmar

Here is how I do it. On the front the easiest spring end to reach is the end of the upper spring where it attaches immediately to the rear of the actuator. Flat piece of 1” steel will slip in between the end of the spring hook and the hub assembly. I use a crescent wrench to rotate it until the end of the hook is even with the hole. A little push and thru it goes. Rotate the hub so the CTIS air line is on top where the upper spring was. You can then pull the shoes apart at the top, work the lower spring past the lower shoe support and lower them to the ground...

9080A0FA-F116-4312-AD4A-879F4FF8CF56.jpgBC0A97D0-8120-4EFF-ADBF-F88A5EB21129.jpg

To put it back on I use an old large screwdriver with a notch in the end. I lift the shoes up from the bottom with the lower spring connected to both shoes. Once they are in place on their supports/actuators rotate the hub so the air pipe is down, connect the upper spring tothe upper shoe and use the notched screwdriver to push/pry the rear end of the upper spring to its hole and push it in.

took me longer to cut the piece of steel and the notch than it does to remove/re-install the spring:)

13449BFF-DBD7-4C2E-9A40-F7A5C0150E69.jpg01091E74-63A0-4470-AFB2-F26FC846D90F.jpg

oh, and this is what it looks like when a shoe is installed backwards... note the bent star wheel, which disabled/jammed the manual adjuster...

9C50716F-4A3D-4F5F-B353-E96F81D015FD.jpg

Last edited:

ramdough

I love these informative posts you throw up for the group! Thanks from everyone.

Do you have one of these for the intermediate and rear axle?

Would love to see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have one of these for the intermediate and rear axle?
That document already lists the seals and quantities for both front and rear axles in the chart, and also has the -24P manual diagrams for both.

I think it should be valid for the intermediate axles too, since we're only talking about the hub/end seals not anything to do with the center section.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you guys think about the hub set up way in Ronmar's video. I had no trouble doing it the way Steve6x6x6 showed us with the made up cross holder. Yea had to cut off a bad hub to make it. My math ciphering skills might be a little rusty. The video way if you made a mistake you would not know right away. Not saying it's wrong or not the proper way just asking. I was needing a pair so I also got the big truck plyers and my .02 they make it real easy.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks