• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cross Country in an M820

hethead

This is probably a bit early to start a thread but I figured it would leave me more time to get advice and I could share more of the process.

I just bought a '71 M820 from Eastern Surplus. It's just the chassis/cab, no van body. I wanted the extra long wheelbase, I wanted to shift gears, I wanted a giant engine and everything to be mechanical, so I went with the 820. It's still in Philly and still has to be processed into an "everything checked, working, accurate, tested, ready to use" truck. I'm not picking it up until July, so there's plenty of time for that to happen. I'll post any pictures of that process that they send me, but I'll ask if they're ok with that first.

Plan is to drive it to the West coast in 2 stages. First stage is to surprise my dad for his 75th birthday with a road trip to his home in Florida. He served in the "Vietman era" and was around these things in an environment that was hostile to say the least, so I think he'll have fun riding around in one on a mission in friendlier country. It's about 900 miles and I'll plan on taking it as nice and easy as we can and taking a few days. He also used to drive a cabover semi in the early 70's after the army, hauling steel "suicide" coils from Ohio to Michigan. He spent a lot of time sitting on top of a tuned up Detroit 6-71 and I think he'll enjoy the trucking flashbacks to youth as well as be a good guy to have along with a lot of old school, class 8 truck experience.

After we get to Florida I'll start going over it and preparing it for the next stage before I leave the country for a while.

Then, after I get back Stateside, I head out for the West coast on my own.

I'm having Eastern mount 395/85 MVT's to give a little higher gearing. I'd like to cruise around 60 mph on the flats if I can. I figure without the van body weight and wind drag, it might be doable.

I'm planning on leaving with a spare fuel filter for starters. Maybe a small air compressor, some jugs of water, gallon of spare oil, bottle jack, lug wrench… whatever else you guys with experience recommend. I have a lot of experience with smaller old trucks and have built them from the frame up and driven cross country (and to the Arctic Ocean) with no problems I couldn't fix on the side of the road (I changed a starter on the Dalton Hwy in the sunlight of 2 am while getting bit by about 1,000 giant mosquitos), but never worked on the big ones.

The whole, entire point of this will be for fun and a little adventure. I've lost two friends to cancer in the last year and am reminded that life is short, do things that are fun and if that involves a 20,000+ lb truck, so be it.

I already got it registered out here. Got my class B CDL learners permit to start that process for peace of mind and plan on using Gulfway Insurance for the drive to Florida. They are near my parents town, anyway. I don't want this to be a "registration and insurance thread" so please don't comment on that stuff here, just wanted to share the process of how I'm approaching this and touch on those subjects.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'll keep posting updates as this process plays out but it's gonna span from now until Sept./Oct. so it'll be a long story. Eastern has been good to work with so far and I hope I don't end up regretting this silly idea.

I'm gonna be studying some TM's and trying to soak up anything I can to be as prepared as I can.

G

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool plan! Looks like you have all bases covered. My only suggestion is to have Eastern find some kind of box or platform to attach behind the cab for stuff. Not much room in the cab.

cwedge411

Also idk if they can mount an air seat but you'll thank yourself for spending the few bucks.. Imagine being stuffed in a washer and some one just tossed in $10 worth of quarters lol.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Iceman3005

Lots of fluids in the 5 gallon size. brake fluid DOT 5, oil rotella 15w-40, coolant, gear oil 80-90w. Seals for transmission, transfer case, wheel seals. Extra starter, alternator, batteries, jumper cables. Extra wire of varying sizes on spools. Wire crimpers, connectors, wire tape. U-joints, spare tires, tire repair kit, fix-a-flat in a can. Tons of tools, wrenches, sockets (short and deep well), ratchets, screw drivers of varying sizes (straight and philips), swivels, extensions, make sure you have 3/4 drive sockets and a ratchet, 1/2 inch drive, all the way down to 1/4 drive stuff. 20 ton jack, lots of 4x4, 4x6, or 6x6 boards.

Seals for the engine like valve covers, injection pump, extra fuel shut-off solenoid. seals for the air pump, radiator, etc.

Working on that truck isn't much different than a pick-up, everything is just bigger and heavier. So make sure you have big tools!

Have a fun trip. When I went and got my 5 ton I had the back of a friends pickup full of tools and fluids. His s-10 was squatting!

hethead

Thanks for ALL those suggestions guys! A lot of stuff I hadn't thought about. The air seat sounds like a good idea (at least for the 2nd leg). I figured it'll bounce a lot with no van body on the rear. I have a lifelong truck driver cousin near my parents in Florida that I bet could rustle up an air seat for me.

The headlights, I hadn't even thought of either. I've seen the leds. I'll look some up unless anybody can point me to a good set. I had thought of some noise canceling headphones and appreciate the link. I'm all about books on tape for X country trips.

Iceman, I'll be a long way from home (flying to Philadelphia) and starting all over with tools. It sounds like one of my first stops should be to find an industrial supply place and start buying some big ones. Maybe a job site box mounted on the frame rails for the trip to Seattle. I'm gonna need space for a lot of fluids.

You've recommended a lot of the same things I took on my Arctic trip. It sounds like a lot but I'm sure glad I had that spare starter (long story and I don't want to cast blame but lets just say it was my sisters fault…)

I don't even have any 3/4 drive. I guess that's about to change. I actually thought about lumber, if that makes me weird. Maybe I can grab some 4x4's from Eastern before I go.

I'll at least have room for gaskets behind the seats. I'm buying a 5th wheel too. I'm planning on using some 2" ratchet straps to secure it to the frame if that's even remotely possible. I can pick up chain binders if I have to. That's one of my concerns. I won't be equipped to fab anything up with angle iron or drill holes etc. I'll make sure it's safe but it may take more work than I'm hoping.

G

Iceman3005

Also should install a 12 volt charger, that way you can charge your phone, laptop, flash light, etc. There are a lot of MV's owners that should be close to your route, so if you do brake down just send a message on here and someone should be able to help you or point you in the right direction for help.

So having a way to charge 12 volt accessories would be a plus!

hethead

Good point. I found a 24v USB charger for my phone at least, so I'll have internet. It's on a marine supply website. I should be able to wire that up without too much trouble.

I appreciate knowing there are some helpful people out there. I'm just gonna hope I won't have to be too much of a burden right out of the gate.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...The whole, entire point of this will be for fun and a little adventure. I've lost two friends to cancer in the last year and am reminded that life is short, do things that are fun and if that involves a 20,000+ lb truck, so be it...
G
You nailed it right here. I made my M813 recovery a family affair and created some great memories. I no longer have that truck, but I regret nothing. The above advice is sound. Just make common sense preparation and have your favorite credit card card ready just in case. You’ll do fine. Let us know how it’s going and if you have any trouble give a holler on the site. Best of luck in your cross country trip!

hethead

Thanks Sigo! I'll have the credit card ready to go. I'll take my time and not rush things. I've already prepared myself emotionally for the possibility that this might turn expensive! (beyond the fuel, of course) I figure there're way worse things to spend money on than old, giant trucks. Whatever this is, it won't be boring.

fasttruck

Think about fitting mud flaps behind the 3rd axle like haul away drivers do if this is a bare chassis License plate light too. f this is not considered a "commercial" vehicle hopefully you can get by without log books, IFTA and IRP problems A pair of military windshield wiper blades might be handy too And a few spare 24volt light bulbs You will not likely find them in a truck stop ICC "flares" i.e. safety triangles and a fire extinguisher

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Invest in a com system for you and Dad. Gonna be a decent trip to FL, and I'm sure you'd rather not be shouting the entire way.

I've got a Sigtronics Transcom II in the cab (It's 12-36V) and a few S-20 headsets so I can talk to passengers and hot have to shout.

hethead

I'm becoming more and more glad I put this on here. I'm getting a lot of good input.

Fasttruck, I thought about mud flaps and would like to have something not just to be legal but because I ride a motorcycle and have had some close calls with stones flying out of people's mud tires who have no or too small mud flaps to knock down what their tires pick up. I'll have to do some thinking on that. I forgot about 24 volt bulbs. I'll have to add those to my order from Eastern. I'll leave with at least the small stuff, filters, gaskets, bulbs, etc.

Rhurey, I'll look up the Transcom you mentioned. I think there'll be a lot of chatter in the beginning as we try to listen/look for problems and get used to what's normal for the truck.

Thanks again guys. Whatever I can't do on the way to Florida, I'll be able to do at my parent's place before the leg to Seattle.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just something to throw out there, I don't think a standard air ride seat will fit in the cab and give you a comfortable position to drive it, especially if you are 6' tall or a larger guy. 2.5 and 5 ton trucks had air seats, you should check to see if Eastern has one they could install from a FMV.

hethead

I don't have the same problem with fitting into things as you taller guys. I'm a little guy at 5'6" but I guess too "deep" (front to rear) of an air seat would be getting close to the bottom of the wheel for anybody. I might wait until I get to Florida for that part. I can sit on a block of foam or something if my back starts getting abused. I'm a little more worried about my dad now, though. It's supposed to have new or like new seats. I hope they have good springs (if they even have springs).

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck will try it's level best to beat you to death. If you've never ridden in one, it's beyond my ability to describe....

Your dad is 75 or so? Riding across country is a real risk of compression fractures in the vertebra. I really don't recommend it for him...

hethead

spring seat.png Is this a normal seat? It's on ebay. Doesn't look toooo bad, but I've never ridden in a 5 ton, especially empty. Hoping the extra long wheelbase will help some.

hethead

He'll just be on the Philly to FLA leg. About 900 miles. I sure hope it's not too rough for him. The whole point is for him to have fun. He drove from Florida to Seattle, picked me up and we drove to the Arctic circle a few years ago. Then last year, he and my mom did it again except they went all the way to Deadhorse. His Chevy pickup rides a lot smoother I know, but he's kind of not your average 75 year old. I think I'll start looking into an air seat though. Maybe two… is $500 reasonable? One on ebay. about that much with shipping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks