• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cross Country in an M820

hethead

Thanks JC. I've been hearing that from enough people that I'm shopping around for a set already. One of the guys I'm working with now has driven a brush truck built on a 5 ton chassis and he said even with that big tank of water on the back it feels like a truck with the axles welded straight to the frame rails. Being just a chassis cab truck (initially) , I figure I'll get beaten up as much as a 5 ton ever beat anybody up (until I get some air seats).

hethead

Love at first sight! Eastern sent me some photos. They've gone through the truck, taken a test drive and all seems well.

They mounted the fifth wheel (securely enough for travel, not use) after they removed the van body.

I really like the looks of the 395/85s, size wise. Hopefully they'll give me a noticeable help in road gearing over the stock tires.

This will eventually be turned into an extra-long wheelbase tractor.

I'm still overseas but my aviation type headsets/intercom and mudflaps/mud flap mounts have arrived, I'm told. Hitting the road July 9th. Getting close!

Attachments

Last edited:

hethead

Eastern Philly to Florida leg complete! Somewhere between 900 and 1,000 miles.

Lot's to say, lot's to share (and a few photos) but I just got out of the truck a few hours ago and I need to rest a bit and gather my thoughts and I'll try to write something (hopefully) entertaining and informative up soon. It was an experience right out of the gate. Literally.

I'm pretty old school but I do have to say that 855 cubic inch brontosaurus under the hood is a sweet old engine.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Do yourself a safety perk and put chain on that spare tire and hook it to the carrier. Those carriers will vibrate loose with the bigger tires

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hethead

Thank you Sim. I will. I checked it at every stop and kept an eye on it down the road, but it'd be nice to have one less thing to watch. I'll have to actively resist the urge to ask you a million questions before my Florida/Seattle trip. You have a great setup.

8madjack

This is great, looking forward to following along! Those 395s look good. I have the Goodyear 14x20s and was reading in another thread that they're starting to dry up so I figure if and when I need tires I'll probably be looking at 395s. I like the look of the big rubber so I was concerned because they're a little smaller but they look good.

someoldmoose

This is the first I've seen this thread. Super COOL ! Despite all that has happened in the last year I am holding tight to my dream. I too bought mine from Eastern Surplus. Amazing company to work with. I would never have considered buying a truck like this from a private owner unless their records were meticulously kept. Eastern making sure the truck was safe was worth every penny to me. If I could have afforded it I would have gotten the 395's on aluminum wheels and air ride seat. I love my big girl for the same reasons you mentioned. Old school, low tech, can fix most things with a 2 pound sledge hammer and a big screwdriver ( just kidding of course ). I must say I can not even IMAGINE driving a "bob tail" 820 that far. Bless your backside, kidneys, spine, etc. One problem I have personally is that I am 6' tall with knees that don't bend as far as they used to so getting to the brake and clutch pedals requires some "interesting" contortions. I am considering a smaller diameter steering wheel to start with. If I could extend the cab about 8-10 inches from the door frame back I'd fit perfectly but I don't have that kinda time or skill. Still love my truck.

hethead

Thanks Madjack. I initially wanted the 14x20s then I decided on the 395's due to the availability. I like them and they're definitely big in person.

Oldmoose, I'm only 5' 6" and I even felt a bit tight in there between the steering wheel, but the ride was no where near as bad as I was expecting. I'm honestly not worried about the Florida/Seattle trip as far as the ride goes on those 395's.

I'm starting to write some stuff tonight. Like I said, I want it to be entertaining, so I'm taking a little time.

8madjack

.... I am considering a smaller diameter steering wheel to start with. If I could extend the cab about 8-10 inches from the door frame back I'd fit perfectly but I don't have that kinda time or skill. Still love my truck.
I would LOVE to extend the cab like that, it's crossed my mind, I'm 6'5", but I have the short wheel base and I plan to put in fmtv crane behind the cab so I just don't have the space to do it. I don't drive my truck long distances so it's not a really big problem but I probably would take it on more trips if it had more legroom and air ride. I don't actually have a issue with the steering wheel I never bumped my knees on it despite my long legs.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you Sim. I will. I checked it at every stop and kept an eye on it down the road, but it'd be nice to have one less thing to watch. I'll have to actively resist the urge to ask you a million questions before my Florida/Seattle trip. You have a great setup.

Do this. it works. Get you about 6ft of 3/8" chain. and a 3/8" lever binder and a small clevis. You will run the chain around the tire and spare tire davit twice. On your second pass however run the chain thru your clevis and hook the clevis to store your lever binder there. This is helpful as you have a chain to secure it and one for your chain hoist to lower your tire down to the ground. BUT in the event you have a 2nd blowout and do not have a spare then you can use the lever binder and chain to bind the axle up off the ground so you can keep on driving to get to safety. Air over hydraulic jack is a must though. and lots of wood blocks. 4 - 4x4s and 2 6x6s work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGEG4LAyG2A

hethead

Thank you Sim. My Dad had mentioned a similar setup to chain up an axle in case I burned up a diff. They ran a little hotter than I liked at 2100 rpm in overdrive. You ever thought about running oil coolers in yours?

I already had to put the spare on and ended up buying a new 20 ton stubby jack. I knew the wheels would be harder to change being so heavy, but that was a lot of work! I'm starting to get a better idea of what I need to have with me at least. Including a bigger box to put everything in.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
chaining up both sides of the axle will not be a good idea. your easiest bet on that is to pull the driveshaft and pull the axles and stuff rags in the holes Cause even if you suspended the whole axle the rear axle would still spin internally if you didnt pull the driveline. Chaining up both sides is not a safe thing to do on a setup like these trucks. Chaning up one side to get off the road will a flat is something different.

Axle pumpkins should not be over 120 degrees. Even loaded. I never see over 110 or so and i can get up to 77,000lbs. Your rear rear axle should be the hottest as it works harder than the front tandem. The front tandem will work harder with a load on the body more forward of axle center. Drive hubs should not be over 115 even during the heaviest towing.

If you are getting hotter temps then you need to drain and refill the fluid. I am sure noone has even checked those things. Just saying. that is typical, not many folks do check the diff oil.

Last edited:

hethead

Copy that. Thanks. I'll drain and refill the diffs before I head for Seattle. I don't have an infrared thermometer (yet) but they had to be a lot hotter than 120, with no load whatsoever.

I'll be doing some seals and checking bearings anyway, but I won't get too excited about any oil coolers.

hethead

The following is what it feels like to buy a 47 year old, 20,000 lb plus truck (sight unseen) and drive it about 1,000 miles with no tools, the mechanical gremlins we faced and how we overcame them. It's a lot, so I'll be writing and posting in installments.

We flew up to Philly on Sunday night and showed up at Eastern Monday morning shortly after they opened. There's a lot of cool trucks there and they have an impressively large shop. It's a pretty big operation.

We took a short test drive and the truck seemed to run well. It stalled once but started right back up, so I chalked it up to something intermittent.

After they installed the mud flaps and mounts I brought with me, we set out and were soon on an onramp, merging onto I 95 South.

First impression was "Man, this thing's big". I'd seen a couple in person over the years but never actually sat in one and once we were out on the road, I found myself looking down at drivers in Mack trucks and the 18 wheeled tanker in front of me seemed kinda… small.

The mass of it is impressive. It feels like if you veered off the road and hit a house, you would just plow through the house. You would also crush a car full of people if they got under your tires. so there's an inescapable sense of responsibility to not kill everybody around you. You have to pay attention and watch out for everybody else. Kinda like riding a motorcycle except you're doing it for their survival, not yours.

The second impression was noise. It really is a loud machine with very little between you and thousands of pounds of spinning, hammering steel and cast iron. I wouldn't describe it as a whine. It's more of a roar.

The third impression was after we got up to speed. There was a hammering in the suspension and steering wheel. It was pretty rough and I wondered if 2000 lbs of cold rubber just rode that way until they warmed up. Like I said, I had no previous experience with these things and no idea of what was "normal". It's a stupid way to go into something like this, but I did it anyway. And I brought my dad along for the ride.

We were roaring and hammering along with traffic and then… the engine stalled. We coasted over onto the shoulder (which didn't seem wide enough for the truck) and got it restarted again. I wasn't gonna try to figure anything out sitting on a narrow shoulder with traffic flying by, so I got rolling and got off the interstate at the first exit I saw. We dropped down into a neighborhood with narrow, one way streets and intersections where I couldn't make the turn without making it a three pointer and started looking for a place to stick this thing.

Then it stalled again. I didn't want to block the entire city street (which I would have) so I tried to use our momentum to pull off the road into a conveniently located parking lot. With the engine stalled and no power steering, it was a hard turn to make. There was a concrete filled steel post that it looked like I was doomed to hit. I didn't think "I'm going to crash", I thought "I'm going to destroy this concrete and steel post", but I managed to miss it by inches and get the truck to a stop. I opened the hood, which is pretty heavy and seems about 10 feet long, but it's actually only about six feet long and I was able to figure out where to walk on the fenders to get it all the way up, leaning against the windshield. Glad it wasn't windy.

Then I saw the problem. The wire providing the 24 volts to open the fuel solenoid was loose. It was effectively just sitting on the terminal stud so the vibration of driving would break the fragile connection, the solenoid would close and the engine would be shut down until we stopped moving, the wire stopped wiggling and then it allowed me to start it again.

All I had to do was tighten up the nut and terminal post holding the ring terminal to the solenoid. Trouble was, I had no tools. Not even a multi tool since I couldn't get that through airport security. I got a lot of good advice about what tools to bring, but I didn't follow through and spend the money and time to get them. Then a AAA car pulled up...

He was there to help someone else out, but I asked and he was kind enough to loan me a pair of pliers and a small wrench. That was all I needed, the solenoid connection was tight and the big Cummins never stalled again. Just a simple loose wire.

Now all we had to do was figure out how to get back on I95. This was an area where having a co-driver was very helpful. My dad was helping me watch my blind spots and figure out where the **** we had to go. Trying to get familiar with driving something this large (especially in the city) while trying to troubleshoot and keep an eye out for problems and navigating a strange city at the same time would have been pretty hard and probably not too safe.

My intent was for this trip to be an extended birthday gift for my dad's 75th. I hoped it would be an adventure and a good memory.

As I squeezed the big truck down the narrow streets, looking for a way to get back on the interstate, out of Philadelphia and begin our 1,000 mile trip south in this large, strange truck, I began to wonder if that was going to happen. But I was already glad he was with me.

To be continued...

someoldmoose

hethead, you're a much braver man than I and you have my admiration. My GPS kept trying to put me on 95 but I swore I was NOT going anywhere near that rolling disaster area in a vehicle that topped out at 60 m.p.h. downhill with a tailwind ( I still have the stock 11.00 - 20s ). Glad your stalling problem was something simple. I am surprised it was missed by the folks at Eastern. Driving one of these in the "outskirts" of Philly is not fun. I had driven a straight truck with a 28 foot box through Wilmington years ago delivering products. That was cake compared to getting one of these out of Philly. I only had a 70 mile trip and was "beat down to my socks" after getting home. Best wishes for a safe and break-down free journey. Keep us up to date and remember . . . pictures, please.

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Wow how AWESOME that your Father had the Adventure inside of him after all being
75 an maybe getting an adrenaline rush at some point and you may swing by a chiropractor somewhere by St Louis, and visit just in case you need to stretch your legs at Jefferson Barracks Park. We could maybe Convoy for some miles through Missouri if that is your route?

My Father at 81 just took off for South Dakota for Grins. Well visit Family Friends. Adventure still in him also.

Good Luck and GodSpeed. Saint Christopher be my Guide.

hethead

Part 2.

Confident that the engine would no longer spontaneously shut down, we squeezed through the tight neighborhoods until we got to an intersection wide enough for me to make the turn and headed back onto the interstate.

After working up through the gears to overdrive, running at 2100 rpm, I checked our speed on the Goodyear 395 85 MVTs with my phone's GPS. 58mph. Awesome. I was hoping to cruise at 60 without overspeeding the engine and a true 58 would probably show as 60 on most car speedometers anyway. I was happy with this.

What I wasn't so happy with was that pounding front end at anything over 40 mph. It felt like it was coming from the passenger side. We pulled into our first truck stop and got another good look at the steering tires. Fortunately, I stopped in such a way as to leave a section of the tire exposed that was clearly not right. These were supposed to be 100% tread and this one was… but only 95% of the way around the tire. This one had a completely flat spot worn down about 1/4 inch. The tire must have been locked up and dragged at some point. That explained the pounding in the front end. The hard part was changing it. We didn't have a tire iron or a jack yet so changing it for the spare wouldn't be possible by ourselves. I checked with the truck stop's garage and it would be 4 hours before they could even look at it. We wanted to get back on the road so I decided to just run it all the way to Florida. We would be arriving there very limbered up.

We stopped at a rest stop to stretch our legs and I shut the engine off. After a little while, we climbed back up into the cab and I hit the starter switch. Whir…whirr….clickclickclickclickclick. Whir clickclick.

Dead battery. I checked all the cables and connections from the batteries to the starter and everything was clean and tight. I started trying to find someone willing to give us a jump start. We were parked on the "truck" side and every driver I asked was willing but didn't have cables. I walked over to the "autos" side and after about an hour of striking out I ran into a polite gentleman who not only had cables, but was willing to drive backwards up the truck exit road to get to us with his little Honda.

He wrote for Disney. A travel blog. We would be in it. After about 10 minutes of charging, I gave it a shot. Whir.. whir… whir…. whir….. rumble. It started. We didn't shut it off the rest of the day. Our next stop was a Home Depot for jumper cables, heavy duty charger, battery booster pack and a small spool of wire.

That night at the hotel, I unwired and unclamped all 4 batteries, and carried them past the front desk and up into our 2nd floor hotel room. That's when I discovered they were low on water. One was very low. Plates high and dry. I topped them up and we wired the 4 in parallel using the jumper cables and the spool of wire.

We walked a couple blocks to a Denny's for a late dinner. On the walk there my dad started telling me some stories about when he first started as a truck driver. Hauling steel coils from Ohio to Michigan with a tuned up 6-71 Detroit Diesel. And the first truck he drove, a twin stick Mack.

He was having fun. We fell asleep that night to the hum of the steel battery charger and burbling of 4 truck batteries.

In the morning, we snuck the batteries (I'm assuming hotel insurance policies would prevent us from charging multiple auto batteries on their carpet) back out to the truck and reinstalled them.

Fingers crossed, sun coming up, I hit the starter. Whirrrrrrrrr….rumble!!! Popped right off. The cables and starter were just fine. The batteries (and maybe the charging system) had been the culprits.

The sun was coming up and we were on our way.

Is that a coolant leak?

To be continued...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks