• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cross Country in an M820

Nomadic

What kind of 'inspection' did they do where they didn't notice a loose wire that's visible upon the most cursory inspection?

Granted it's an old, used truck, and you can never guarantee 100% operation, but still....

For the premium that retail outlets charged for 'good' trucks, you'd think they'd do a better inspection.

That's crap you'd expect buying direct from an auction, not from a retail operation.

As an aside, I'd look into dualled G272s, 1200-20 Stryker tires...
It sounds like Eastern Surplus didn't even test drive it. Or maybe they did. Either way, I'm impressed with the OP and unimpressed with Eastern Surplus. I know where not to buy.

hethead

Thanks Nomadic. The transfer case was swapped out last Friday. I flew back to Butte Friday night and set out again Saturday morning. On my first walk around I noticed the air cylinder on the rebuilt case has a leak. At the forward end, around where the "end cap" bolts to the cylinder, not at a hose connection. It wasn't too bad and the compressor seemed to build and maintain pressure (and cycle on and off normally) so I kept going and kept checking it. As long as it didn't get worse, I knew it would be ok for a day or two. Probably an easy fix once I'm home.

I drove for about 12 hours and pulled into a truck stop to refuel and rest for the night, but I was only just over 100 miles from home. It was raining pretty hard but I decided to keep going. I'm glad I did.

I ended up doing the Butte, Montana to Seattle stretch in about 15 hours. Not too fast but I was happy to finally get home and sleep in my own bed.

It was an adventure and a learning experience.

The next day I found the exhaust stack is breaking off the muffler. The tube that extends from the muffler to the flange where the stack bolts on is just "tearing off". I'll have to weld it up. Not a big deal, but glad it held together enough to get home without it flopping around and leaking exhaust up into the cab. I clamped it together for now.

Once this thing's parked in it's "long term" spot. There's no pressure on me to do anything. I'll play with it next summer when I feel like it. Maybe I'll keep it for 20 years, maybe I'll sell it (fresh transfer case!) but I'll never have to wonder what it feels like to drive a big, old class 8 truck cross country!

Last edited:

Iceman3005

Thanks Nomadic. The transfer case was swapped out last Friday. I flew back to Butte Friday night and set out again Saturday morning. On my first walk around I noticed the air cylinder on the rebuilt case has a leak. At the forward end, around where the "end cap" bolts to the cylinder, not at a hose connection. It wasn't too bad and the compressor seemed to build and maintain pressure (and cycle on and off normally) so I kept going and kept checking it. As long as it didn't get worse, I knew it would be ok for a day or two. Probably an easy fix once I'm home.

I drove for about 12 hours and pulled into a truck stop to refuel and rest for the night, but I was only just over 100 miles from home. It was raining pretty hard but I decided to keep going. I'm glad I did.

I ended up doing the Butte, Montana to Seattle stretch in about 15 hours. Not too fast but I was happy to finally get home and sleep in my own bed.

It was an adventure and a learning experience.

The next day I found the exhaust stack is breaking off the muffler. The tube that extends from the muffler to the flange where the stack bolts on is just "tearing off". I'll have to weld it up. Not a big deal, but glad it held together enough to get home without it flopping around and leaking exhaust up into the cab. I clamped it together for now.

Once this things parked in it's "long term" spot. There's no pressure on me to do anything. I'll play with it next summer when I feel like it. Maybe I'll keep it for 20 years, maybe I'll sell it (fresh transfer case!) but I'll never have to wonder what it feels like to drive a big, old class 8 truck cross country!

Pretty sweat trip you had! What an experience!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hethead whenever any of us take a truck new or old I have learned it matters naught things can happen and you handled it in the best way possible, you were realistic about it all and when a problem comes up you fix that problem and move on, same thing with the next problem. It can be frustrating, time consuming and a real pain in the butt BUT we made the decision to do it and will see it through till its completed! You did great and needless to say you learned a whole lot about your truck.
Congratulation and well done hethead!
Karl

cucvmule

collector of stuff
What an adventure for sure. Patience and diligence to make the trip to the end.

You do know the old acronym? SNAFU? I am glad you made it to the Finish!

Now to prepare for your NEXT ADVENTURE OFF ROAD TRIP!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks