• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to hook up auto starter kit to MEP 803A generator?

naehring2000

thank you man for explaining that to me i will buy both the outo start kit and the relay so now please got to my first post i edited it so yall can understand more of what i understand
I believe any 2 wire ATS will work with the remote start board, ASCO has 2 wire switches as well as Kohler and Cummins just to name a few.

impi

bro you got me a little lost now. let me start from the begining. i want to buy this auto starting kit https://inovahightech.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61 on the page it says it can work with an ATS. i want to know witch is the best compatible ATS to use? and if i have to buy this https://inovahightech.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=64 ??? i want to know if i have to buy that? i have no problem buying them things. ima electrician i have hooked up plenty of generators but this is the first generator i have to hook up a starting kit. i downloaded this manual https://inovahightech.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=63 i dont understand some of it. let me write up what i understand on the manual and then you/others can explain the rest to me please. go to page 5of9 on the manual. TB#1 goes to the ground on the generator but there is another wire on TB#1 jumping to TB#9. TB#2 goes to S2-2 on the generator but there is another wire on TB#2 going where[where is that wire going]?[i guest it going to the ATS][?].. TB#3 i guest is going to the ATS [?]. TB#4 goes to relay k20 terminal8 but there is another wire on TB4 where that wire going? .. TB#5,TB#6,TB#7 and TB#8 goes on S1 switch now i know where that is located on the generator what i dont understand is where the wires are going. are they going on the blue thing or the screws cause the manual doesnt help much???? TB#9 is a jumper to TB#1 but there is another wire on TB#9 where is it going[looking at the picture in the manual it looks like its going to the ATS[?]??? Now TB#10 is for the Relay kit K-ext i need help with that to i downloaded the manual to that but they dont give much information. .... to end it it looks to me like i dont need the amphenol plugs cause if im right i can just carry the 3 wires to the ATS and they will be my control wire [?]
TB#10 goes to K8-12
TB#9 is jumpered to TB#1
This is if you do not have K-Ext or ATS wired in. This will cause the load breaker to close after the warmup period. (This piece is missing from the documentation)

I cannot speak to what terminals the ATS is wired to - I do my load transfer and balancing manually and only remote start the generator with an RF switch.

TB#3 is the switch - with +24V DC current applied. As long as the current is applied the generator will go through the startup sequence and run. Once the current is removed from TB#3 the generator will initiate the shutdown sequence.

titoveli

I believe any 2 wire ATS will work with the remote start board, ASCO has 2 wire switches as well as Kohler and Cummins just to name a few.
ok i have hooked up plenty of ASCOs ATS series 185 is pretty easy to hook up and mount i will by that one

TB#10 goes to K8-12
TB#9 is jumpered to TB#1
This is if you do not have K-Ext or ATS wired in. This will cause the load breaker to close after the warmup period. (This piece is missing from the documentation)

I cannot speak to what terminals the ATS is wired to - I do my load transfer and balancing manually and only remote start the generator with an RF switch.

TB#3 is the switch - with +24V DC current applied. As long as the current is applied the generator will go through the startup sequence and run. Once the current is removed from TB#3 the generator will initiate the shutdown sequence.
i dont wanna manually turn it on. i want it so when power goes out the generator will turn on by it self with the auto starting kit and when the power comes back on i want the generator to turn off alone. cause if i want to turn it on manually i just dont buy nothing and leave it as it is. im ready to buy the kits and the ATS but it looks like nobody knows how to hook it up. ima have to look for a number and call the company to find more information cause the manual doesnt help

jamawieb

ok i have hooked up plenty of ASCOs ATS series 185 is pretty easy to hook up and mount i will by that one

i dont wanna manually turn it on. i want it so when power goes out the generator will turn on by it self with the auto starting kit and when the power comes back on i want the generator to turn off alone. cause if i want to turn it on manually i just dont buy nothing and leave it as it is. im ready to buy the kits and the ATS but it looks like nobody knows how to hook it up. ima have to look for a number and call the company to find more information cause the manual doesnt help
Sounds like everyone is telling you how to wire the auto start board correctly. Since you know how to hook up the ASCO's ATS, then you just run your command wire from the ATS to terminal 3 on the auto start board. Then you just make a decision on Relay K

gatorbob

Do I really need to buy the amphenol plugs?
Does anyone know why the military used plugs and receptacles for interior wiring that passes from chamber to chamber? I just started my installation and realized I don't have a path down to the storage box compartment so my cable can leave the generator near the bottom.

I was thinking using a plug and receptacle might be good to keep vibration from damaging a cable otherwise passing through a hole. Although I guess a 10 cent grommet would do the same thing.

Maybe it has to do with air flow?

I found the male/female connectors for $9 although jumper cables are about twice that price. I might just wait for shipping to finish the job.

Guyfang

Staff member
Think about how complicated it would be to take the set apart, when those plugs ang jacks were not there. Think about how easy it is to replace only part of a wire harnes, when it's damaged. Think about how easy it is to replace a control panel, for instance, when you need to. Remove the canon plugs. Remove a few screws. Presto! Take old panel and put in the new one. If you worked on these things every day, for years on end, you would be very happy that there are plugs on the wire harnes.

gatorbob

Think about how complicated it would be to take the set apart, when those plugs ang jacks were not there. Think about how easy it is to replace only part of a wire harnes, when it's damaged. Think about how easy it is to replace a control panel, for instance, when you need to. Remove the canon plugs. Remove a few screws. Presto! Take old panel and put in the new one. If you worked on these things every day, for years on end, you would be very happy that there are plugs on the wire harnes.
Excellent point. Do you know if it's possible to buy the frame for those receptacles separately? I have the barrel connector itself but it only has a locknut to secure it. I like how the military has the square frame with the 4 bolts. I looked through the TMs but never found a part number.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent point. Do you know if it's possible to buy the frame for those receptacles separately? I have the barrel connector itself but it only has a locknut to secure it. I like how the military has the square frame with the 4 bolts. I looked through the TMs but never found a part number.
Howdy,
You have me stumped?
Take a picture and ask what it is.

Guyfang

Staff member
Open up TM 9-6115-642-24P, to PDF reader page 36. Figure 9, Items A, B and C. That's what you want.

Then go to PDF reader page 38. That shows the detail of the items.

On PDF reader page 40, are the part numbers.

gatorbob

Thanks. I'm still only 50/50 when trying to find what I need in the TMs but getting more familiar a month later. Now that I see a picture and understand what it looks like, that's probably not the right choice for the M12 connectors I have for the autostart kit. I could use the actual electrical connectors used for other purposes in the MEP but they are $100+ new.

I think I'll just use a new step drill bit, be really careful not to oversize the hole, and use a lock nut. At least I won't have holes in the MEP cabinet with grommets.

gatorbob

Edited posted because I found the answer -

I found a picture that shows a transfer switch hooked up with the 2 external wires going to TB2 and TB3. It looks like the generator battery itself provides the 24V DC assuming the ATS contact closes the circuit. I just need to figure out the polarity on the other end.

Last edited:

impi

TB#2 provides +24V DC. TB#3 receives the +24VDC. The generator will go through startup sequence, start up and run as long as power is applied to TB#3. When the power is removed from TB#3 the generator will go into shutdown routine. This detail is provided in the installation manual from Innova for the MEP002/003 generators which they refer to in the installation guide for the MEP803.

Not sure if polarity really plays into it. The transfer switch closes the loop which completes the circuit. Unless the generator also provides +24V DC for transfer switch operations.

Last edited:

gatorbob

TB#2 provides +24V DC. TB#3 receives the +24VDC. The generator will go through startup sequence, start up and run as long as power is applied to TB#3. When the power is removed from TB#3 the generator will go into shutdown routine. This detail is provided in the installation manual from Innova for the MEP002/003 generators which they refer to in the installation guide for the MEP803.

Not sure if polarity really plays into it. The transfer switch closes the loop which completes the circuit. Unless the generator also provides +24V DC for transfer switch operations.
Thanks. I completely missed reference to the MEP002/003 guide. It's much more detailed. I hooked my 2nd wire up to TB#1 thinking the voltage comes from the switch but that was clearly wrong.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks