• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to hook up auto starter kit to MEP 803A generator?

titoveli

i want to know how to hook this up to my MEP 803A generator
https://inovahightech.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61

i want to know witch is the best ATS to buy for auto start when power goes out
i need step by step on how to do this? i need pics from some of yall on how to do this

edited this in please read and bear with me English isnt my first language

i want to buy this auto starting kit https://inovahightech.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61 on the page it says it can work with an ATS. i want to know witch is the best compatible ATS to use? and if i have to buy this https://inovahightech.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=64 ??? i want to know if i have to buy that? i have no problem buying them things. ima electrician i have hooked up plenty of generators but this is the first generator i have to hook up a starting kit. i downloaded this manual https://inovahightech.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=63 i dont understand some of it. let me write up what i understand on the manual and then you/others can explain the rest to me please. go to page 5of9 on the manual. TB#1 goes to the ground on the generator but there is another wire on TB#1 jumping to TB#9. TB#2 goes to S2-2 on the generator but there is another wire on TB#2 going where[where is that wire going]?[i guest it going to the ATS][?].. TB#3 i guest is going to the ATS [?]. TB#4 goes to relay k20 terminal8 but there is another wire on TB4 where that wire going? .. TB#5,TB#6,TB#7 and TB#8 goes on S1 switch now i know where that is located on the generator what i dont understand is where the wires are going. are they going on the blue thing or the screws cause the manual doesnt help much???? TB#9 is a jumper to TB#1 but there is another wire on TB#9 where is it going[looking at the picture in the manual it looks like its going to the ATS[?]??? Now TB#10 is for the Relay kit K-ext i need help with that to i downloaded the manual to that but they dont give much information. .... to end it it looks to me like i dont need the amphenol plugs cause if im right i can just carry the 3 wires to the ATS and they will be my control wire [?]

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. What WE need is for you to put your state in your Location. That’s one of the site requirements that you agreed you had read.

jamawieb

i need step by step on how to do this? i need pics from some of yall on how to do this
You need to go to the website you attached and download the installation manuals. If you click on your link and then look to the left it says manuals, look for your model and then add to cart. It downloads free. I think you need to put a little leg work into your question because everyone is going to have a different opinion on ATS setups.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I find the best auto start solution to be the one that automatically annoys a person enough to get up and out of their recliner, walk outside, and turn their machine on manually. I'm a touch old fashioned though.

impi

a) Download the manual from the same site. The step by step instructions are in there, including pictures.
b) Same site also sells an ATS.
c) Depending on how cold or how hot it gets in your valley you may also want to consider installing the K-Ext kit with the autostart kit to provide an automatic shutdown / cooldown delay when the power comes back on. I don't have an ATS installed as I have elected to remotely start and stop my generator as it does not get that cold in my valley, but it gets really windy at times and trees tend to fly around when it does.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a) Download the manual from the same site. The step by step instructions are in there, including pictures.
b) Same site also sells an ATS.
c) Depending on how cold or how hot it gets in your valley you may also want to consider installing the K-Ext kit with the autostart kit to provide an automatic shutdown / cooldown delay when the power comes back on. I don't have an ATS installed as I have elected to remotely start and stop my generator as it does not get that cold in my valley, but it gets really windy at times and trees tend to fly around when it does.
He/she is in THE valley... isn't that clear enough?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
how do i do that? i dont wanna get banned
On the upper right of this page is a button "settings." Click on that and it'll take you to another page. Along the left side of that page will be a button "My Profile." Click that and it'll allow you to edit your profile including "location."

titoveli

You need to go to the website you attached and download the installation manuals. If you click on your link and then look to the left it says manuals, look for your model and then add to cart. It downloads free. I think you need to put a little leg work into your question because everyone is going to have a different opinion on ATS setups.
hey man i downloaded the manual i still got some question. do i relly need to buy the amphenol plugs? do i need to buy the relay k ext or does it come on the generator? i need help on how to hook up TB 5,6,7,8 ????? i see that TB 1,2,4,9 have 2 wires on them i want to know how to hook them up the manual doesnt have enough pics to help. i really need help with this

titoveli

c) Depending on how cold or how hot it gets in your valley
i live in the caribbean its always hot lol
you may also want to consider installing the K-Ext kit with the autostart kit to provide an automatic shutdown / cooldown delay when the power comes back on.
if i dont install this kit what would happen? the generator isnt gonna shutdown? what will happen?
I don't have an ATS installed as I have elected to remotely start and stop my generator as it does not get that cold in my valley, but it gets really windy at times and trees tend to fly around when it does.
witch will be the best ATS to hook up with the auto stating kit?

impi

i live in the caribbean its always hot lol

if i dont install this kit what would happen? the generator isnt gonna shutdown? what will happen?
The K-Ext kit will disconnect service while the MEP goes through the cool down cycle as I understand it. Without it the autostart will go through the cooldown with the circuit still energized on the MEP. K-Ext is an optional component you can purchase from Inova. It does not come standard with the kit, unless you buy the kit that includes it - there is an option to select it when you order the kit.

witch will be the best ATS to hook up with the auto stating kit?
Inova has an ATS controller panel which can be tied in to a transfer switch if the switch doesn't have a compatible controller. The ATS controller monitors power supply and initiates generator startup and load transfer - but it's not a transfer switch. It needs to be tied to a transfer switch. But even before that - the first question you need to answer is what the supply is that the transfer switch need to transfer - ie. how many amps is your panel and your utility feed - the ATS needs to match that. Whether or not you need the Inova ATS controller will depend on what the ATS that you buy's capabilities are - can it send the signal to the autostart to initiate startup, and shutdown. You will have to do some reading for that. There's a few sites that sell ATS online. electricgeneratorsdirect is one of them and they have a number listed - you can also find the manuals for each one of them on their site. If you're not sure what you're doing I would suggest you involve an electrician to provide you with some guidance. Hooking it up wrong can destroy equipment or get someone killed.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can I ask why you want to install this? It seems like something that will invariably fail at the wrong time. Especially if you are in the island nations... why would you want something to add complexity to your backup solution? You should find a set that works, and keep it as simple as possible!

jamawieb

hey man i downloaded the manual i still got some question. do i relly need to buy the amphenol plugs? do i need to buy the relay k ext or does it come on the generator? i need help on how to hook up TB 5,6,7,8 ????? i see that TB 1,2,4,9 have 2 wires on them i want to know how to hook them up the manual doesnt have enough pics to help. i really need help with this
No you do not need the plugs. The relay K you're referring to is optional. What it does, is when the generator is sent the command to shut down, it disconnects the load for the generator and gives the generator time to cool down before it shuts off. Without it, the generator will shut down with the load still applied to the generator, which will cause problems to the generator or the things plugged into it.
If you're going to try to hook the auto start system by comparing pictures please stop before you damage the board or the set. You have to read the instructions. They are straight forward and easy to understand except for the part on how to hook up to the AC interruptor switch.

titoveli

Inova has an ATS controller panel which can be tied in to a transfer switch if the switch doesn't have a compatible controller. The ATS controller monitors power supply and initiates generator startup and load transfer - but it's not a transfer switch. It needs to be tied to a transfer switch. But even before that - the first question you need to answer is what the supply is that the transfer switch need to transfer - ie. how many amps is your panel and your utility feed - the ATS needs to match that. Whether or not you need the Inova ATS controller will depend on what the ATS that you buy's capabilities are - can it send the signal to the autostart to initiate startup, and shutdown. You will have to do some reading for that. There's a few sites that sell ATS online. electricgeneratorsdirect is one of them and they have a number listed - you can also find the manuals for each one of them on their site. If you're not sure what you're doing I would suggest you involve an electrician to provide you with some guidance. Hooking it up wrong can destroy equipment or get someone killed.
bro you got me a little lost now. let me start from the begining. i want to buy this auto starting kit https://inovahightech.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61 on the page it says it can work with an ATS. i want to know witch is the best compatible ATS to use? and if i have to buy this https://inovahightech.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=64 ??? i want to know if i have to buy that? i have no problem buying them things. ima electrician i have hooked up plenty of generators but this is the first generator i have to hook up a starting kit. i downloaded this manual https://inovahightech.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=63 i dont understand some of it. let me write up what i understand on the manual and then you/others can explain the rest to me please. go to page 5of9 on the manual. TB#1 goes to the ground on the generator but there is another wire on TB#1 jumping to TB#9. TB#2 goes to S2-2 on the generator but there is another wire on TB#2 going where[where is that wire going]?[i guest it going to the ATS][?].. TB#3 i guest is going to the ATS [?]. TB#4 goes to relay k20 terminal8 but there is another wire on TB4 where that wire going? .. TB#5,TB#6,TB#7 and TB#8 goes on S1 switch now i know where that is located on the generator what i dont understand is where the wires are going. are they going on the blue thing or the screws cause the manual doesnt help much???? TB#9 is a jumper to TB#1 but there is another wire on TB#9 where is it going[looking at the picture in the manual it looks like its going to the ATS[?]??? Now TB#10 is for the Relay kit K-ext i need help with that to i downloaded the manual to that but they dont give much information. .... to end it it looks to me like i dont need the amphenol plugs cause if im right i can just carry the 3 wires to the ATS and they will be my control wire [?]

titoveli

No you do not need the plugs. The relay K you're referring to is optional. What it does, is when the generator is sent the command to shut down, it disconnects the load for the generator and gives the generator time to cool down before it shuts off. Without it, the generator will shut down with the load still applied to the generator, which will cause problems to the generator or the things plugged into it.
If you're going to try to hook the auto start system by comparing pictures please stop before you damage the board or the set. You have to read the instructions. They are straight forward and easy to understand except for the part on how to hook up to the AC interruptor switch.
thank you man for explaining that to me i will buy both the outo start kit and the relay so now please got to my first post i edited it so yall can understand more of what i understand

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks