• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graves Mountain Rally August 30 - September 3, 2018

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sending the $$$ in for Syndi and I on Tuesday, looking forward to camping out and relaxing for a couple days at GML !

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do the majority do for accommodations at this event? I have camped at GML several times. As well with my sons Boy Scout troop. Are most campers? Or glampers? What are your plans? Tent, camper, cabin??

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do the majority do for accommodations at this event? I have camped at GML several times. As well with my sons Boy Scout troop. Are most campers? Or glampers? What are your plans? Tent, camper, cabin??
It runs the gamut. Some tent camp and cook over a fire (me), some camp with generators and all-around lighting, some camp in converted utility trailers and cargo trailers, some come in mini RVs, some sleep at the Lodge with 3 meals a day prepared for them.

Whatever/however you want to do it is fine. One note: if you are sensitive to generator noise, bring earplugs because there's no where to escape them since the sounds travels across the flat campground and bounces back off the trees and mountains. I hate sleeping with earplugs, but it's the only way to get any shuteye. Just don't come too close to my tent after hours, or the tripwires will get you...

Bulldogger

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It runs the gamut. Some tent camp and cook over a fire (me), some camp with generators and all-around lighting, some camp in converted utility trailers and cargo trailers, some come in mini RVs, some sleep at the Lodge with 3 meals a day prepared for them.

Whatever/however you want to do it is fine. One note: if you are sensitive to generator noise, bring earplugs because there's no where to escape them since the sounds travels across the flat campground and bounces back off the trees and mountains. I hate sleeping with earplugs, but it's the only way to get any shuteye. Just don't come too close to my tent after hours, or the tripwires will get you...

Bulldogger
If we camp with our trucks I would be inclined just to set up in the back of the 923. Honda 2000 and a fan in case its as hot as it has been. Keeps the bugs away too.

CGarbee

When we put 700 campers in the field for the music festival (Thu-Sat after Memorial Day), it is the rare generator that can be heard at night...even though some folks let them run 24/7.
With the smaller group that we have for the MV Trailrides, the sound of even one bounces around the normally really quiet valley...
We have room to spread out and we can get creative with sound baffling if needed (plywood and fiberglass insulation work wonders)...

I'm looking forward to sunny/hot days and cool nights...

I'll be camping in my M146 trailer, with the windows and the doors open for ventilation...

CGarbee

As mentioned, we have a good distribution of folks who rent a motel room, cabin, or camp out in the field.
Of the field campers, we seem to split pretty evenly in past years between campers, tents, and back of the truck/trailer...

Rooms/cabins at the Lodge come with meals (all you can eat), meals can also be had for folks who are camping (they prefer that you make reservations, but we can have BMan call the Lodge office on the radio just before you head over the bridge to the Lodge and take care of that...).

Saturday night supper is included in the rally registration.

Food/ice/beer/camping gear can be found at the Syria Merchantile... It's an old fashioned country store in a more modern building (the old one burned down in the 60's...).

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Registration papers and USPS MO sent yesterday. We're confirmed for the event. I'll bring the HMMWV, two tents (one for Betsy Bulldog to snore in alone), and my new-to-me 1962 M101 along with some milsurp goodies I've picked up to hawk at the CP.
Bulldogger

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Registration papers and USPS MO sent yesterday. We're confirmed for the event. I'll bring the HMMWV, two tents (one for Betsy Bulldog to snore in alone), and my new-to-me 1962 M101 along with some milsurp goodies I've picked up to hawk at the CP.
Bulldogger
kid or no kid?

Anyone for that matter ?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son (9yo) will be there yes. I know the White's (he had the little German Munga last year) will attend with their boys too. The Rock Ridge folks will attend and the granddaughter of the trailmaster (drives the black "Kermud"
4x4) will almost certainly be there. There are a couple more kids likely as well.

Bulldogger

CGarbee

In addition to the "regular mix" of trucks, we have confirmed that we will have a M20 on site to give the Halftrack a run for its money around the orchards... A DKW Munga will return from last year and the M561 Gama Goat from two years ago will also be returning and they will both be challenging the trails on the mountain... We also have our fingers crossed that we will get both the M201 and XM708 on site for those who are partial to Dodge M37 variants...

Obviously, we are also expecting a bunch of Jeeps of all eras, HMMWV, five tons, etc...

Last edited:

CGarbee

I'll let him post up about it when he is ready, but since Mike SCSG-G4 has informed me that he can't make it this year, Al Harvey has agreed to run the range for us...and he is mulling over some interesting opportunities for folks who attend... :)

cwajciec

I'm going to try and make this event for the first time in my HMMWV. I see there is mention of a range on-site. What are the rules for the range (calibers, bring your own, etc)?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to try and make this event for the first time in my HMMWV. I see there is mention of a range on-site. What are the rules for the range (calibers, bring your own, etc)?
Glad you can make it! See you there.
Bulldogger

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Registration is in the mail. What are our fire wood needs? Was thinking pallets? Thoughts? That’s usually what I roll with.

CGarbee

As mentioned earlier, Al Harvey will post up with some comments before the event and will have a briefing before each range session.

That said:
The range is "primitive". It's one of the areas that we use to sight in rifles before hunting season, near one of our orchards, just a short ride from the camping area.
We don't have any restrictions on calibers, but the intention is for people to be able to do some shooting while attending the event, but not for the rally to turn into a shooting event.
Bring your interesting/odd/don't get to shoot them often, want to show them to your friends, items.
Bring your own ammo.
In the past, folks have gone over to the range in small groups, and have enjoyed firing enough rounds from each other's weapons to be able to compare them.

The Range Officer must be at the range in order for it to be used, the Range Officer is in charge of all activity at the range.
*Range Officers reserve the right to inspect any firearms or ammunition for safety considerations.
**Tracer, armor piercing, and steel core ammunition are prohibited. We are in a rocky area with a lot of vegitation that could catch fire. It makes sense to use other types of ammunition as guests on this range.
***Eye and ear protection is required for all individuals on the range.

CGarbee

Registration is in the mail. What are our fire wood needs? Was thinking pallets? Thoughts? That’s usually what I roll with.
You might want to bring some kindling and wood for your first fire...
We have been logging for the past five or seven years. We have had a bunch of storms over the winter.
We have a lot of quality wood beside the trails waiting to be collected and hauled back to the campsites...

Because the camping field is used for some other events during the year, and is used in-between events for overnighting the resident horses, it gets mowed.
We would appreciate not having a lot of nails in the field, so try to pull them from any pallet wood that you might bring.
For that matter, we greatly appreciate it if everyone would toss their fire ring rocks back along the fence line or next to the trees.
Rocks are hard on the batwing bushhog, and even more trouble for the finish mower...

Last edited:

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to bring some kindling and wood for your first fire...
We have been logging for the past five or seven years. We have had a bunch of storms over the winter.
We have a lot of quality wood beside the trails waiting to be collected and hauled back to the campsites...

Because the camping field is used for some other events during the year, and is used in-between events for overnighting the resident horses, it gets mowed.
We would appreciate not having a lot of nails in the field, so try to pull them from any pallet wood that you might bring.
For that matter, we greatly appreciate it if everyone would toss their fire ring rocks back along the fence line or next to the trees.
Rocks are hard on the batwing bushhog, and even more trouble for the finish mower...
totaly get that. Just wanted to provide an option if there was a large group fire. Like the monster one you all did for the Boy Scout OA Tap Out I was at couple years ago.

CGarbee

totaly get that. Just wanted to provide an option if there was a large group fire. Like the monster one you all did for the Boy Scout OA Tap Out I was at couple years ago.
Sonny tends to keep the fire at our campsite (middle of the field) on the large side and everyone is always welcome to come by and hang out...
We will be having a group bonfire on Sunday night. I plan on dragging wood over to the fire location off and on during the week. Assistance dragging wood in from the trails/hillside will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Well as Cabell posted, I will gladly try to fill Mike's shoes as the Range Safety Officer for the event. Just let me or Chuck at the registration tent know that you want to go shoot and I'll gladly go over with you. I operate my own range and firearm school here in Tennessee and am a certified RSO. While we are on the range I don't mind helping anyone that is new to shooting or just has some questions, please just ask me. The biggest concern is SAFETY while on the range. I'm very laid back as long as everyone is being safe.

While remembering that our focus is on the military vehicles, I am planning on bringing some of my training equipment with me that would be a fun and instructive. See me at the event to find out more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks