• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I run tires without the runflats and PVC inserts?

suzukovich

All Beadlock rims are 2 piece. It's just the design of the mil rims that are different from most civilian off road beadlock rims. That is why the H1 and the HUMVEE rims are DOT compliant.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Who sells the pvc pipe beadlocks ready to use? Or do we just buy some 16" schedule 80 pipe and cut it?

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run mine with 12lbs up front and 10lbs in the rear when at the sand dunes, no run flat or tire beads, Interco super swampers tsl radials
City is 30 front and 32 rear
Off road is usually about 20 front & rear
And I push it, see the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8dwi-ZjN0k

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are those the stock 2 piece wheels? If so looks like a bunch of the experts are guessing wrong, or your magical...

tobyS

Have any of you made bead locks from pipe? Is it 16" schedule 80 PVC? I have too many to buy them at $50 each (trailers).

On the page Suzukovich linked there are holes...I'll assume those are to lighten them, but do they have other purpose? I note other beadlocks (20") have air passages that are much smaller.

suzukovich

If you read there ad. There are two versions. Stock and competition in which they cut down the weight of the PVC inserts. I figure there has to be some holes. How else you would air up the tires. The larger holes is probly how the reduce the weight. I would call and ask.
Have any of you made bead locks from pipe? Is it 16" schedule 80 PVC? I have too many to buy them at $50 each (trailers).

On the page Suzukovich linked there are holes...I'll assume those are to lighten them, but do they have other purpose? I note other beadlocks (20") have air passages that are much smaller.
Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

tobyS

Henderson rubber ones I have have air passages in them. They are all 20". I have not had a HMMWV 16.5" apart that has the RF in them. From the weight of the ones I have, they may all have RF in them. Here is a trailer I made that gets the M35 bed as a dump...4 there and then the M1101, 2 more, + I have one more axle with the bolt pattern to use. I will not have a problem making them if there is a standard PVC pipe that has the 16.5" ID.

Attachments

tobyS

A PVC schedule 40 that is 18" od is 16.803 inside diameter and has a .562 wall. Schedule 80 18" is 16.01. With a schedule 40, some small spacers would keep it centered.

Edit....that is an odd size but a commercial pipe supplier in Kokomo IN can get it @ $37/foot for a 20' piece. Thus a stick 20' is 791+ tax.

Schedule 35 is more common but 18" has an OD of 18.7 and ID of 17.629"....leaving a large space or requiring cutting a piece out (3.5") and gluing it. But it's cheaper, $21.83 per foot and available in 14'. A stick 14' is $327 out the door.

Now I see why they are selling at $50.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
FWIW, I've got 24 bolt wheels with nothing inside them on my 1008. I run 35psi. I've had no issues. Also have ran 12 bolts with nothing in them too on the HMMWV. No issues there either. (25psi) Granted both rarely see any off road use. You mileage may vary.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run the stock rims with the 12 bolt design
I even change my own tires and take to discount tires in Michigan and have them do the balancing, makes a big difference if you do highway driving

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you use stick on or clamp on weights? I broke mine down last night. They had stick on and didn’t vibrate so I am leaning that way. I weighed one assembly and it was 160 lbs. on a cheap bathroom scale. I will weigh the new tire with just the wheel if the tires ever get here.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A PVC schedule 40 that is 18" od is 16.803 inside diameter and has a .562 wall. Schedule 80 18" is 16.01. With a schedule 40, some small spacers would keep it centered.

Edit....that is an odd size but a commercial pipe supplier in Kokomo IN can get it @ $37/foot for a 20' piece. Thus a stick 20' is 791+ tax.

Schedule 35 is more common but 18" has an OD of 18.7 and ID of 17.629"....leaving a large space or requiring cutting a piece out (3.5") and gluing it. But it's cheaper, $21.83 per foot and available in 14'. A stick 14' is $327 out the door.

Now I see why they are selling at $50.
You aren't talking about regular (rigid) PVC or? Because there should be some resiliency in the material to use.

Have you considered making your own?
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=465593&d=1385907007

Attachments

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you use stick on or clamp on weights? I broke mine down last night. They had stick on and didn’t vibrate so I am leaning that way. I weighed one assembly and it was 160 lbs. on a cheap bathroom scale. I will weigh the new tire with just the wheel if the tires ever get here.
Check the tire shops around you, for me in MI, Discount Tires had no problems with the 37", they actually have a little lift or jack on the wheel balancing machine, no lifting by the tech, i was charged $20.00 per wheel, well worth it. they used the clamp on, they could of used the glued ones or clamp, I preferred the clamp style, you can use a permanent marker and mark the location, so if you loose one, just put another in place.

tobyS

You aren't talking about regular (rigid) PVC or? Because there should be some resiliency in the material to use.

Have you considered making your own?
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=465593&d=1385907007
Wow....how do you do that cut? Edit....is that a bandsaw cut?

Yes rigid is what I was thinking. The width dimension would be critical and I assume one brand to another of tire may have thicker or thinner beads. It wouldn't matter so much with the rubber.

A woman whose hubby was putting together a MH park has 43 tubes of the 18" schedule 35 that could be bought cheap.

I'm not into that much work and will just have to carry a spare and take my chances...o'rings are my usual downfall.

Last edited:

tobyS

Are all HMMWV, M1101/2 trailers equipped with run flats (from the military)?

DatGuyC

FWIW, I've got 24 bolt wheels with nothing inside them on my 1008. I run 35psi. I've had no issues. Also have ran 12 bolts with nothing in them too on the HMMWV. No issues there either. (25psi) Granted both rarely see any off road use. You mileage may vary.
How did you get the tire to seat so you could put air in it? I tried to do the same thing but either bead was about an inch from the rim and I couldn't set it to seal enough to hold air, even with a ratchet strap around the diameter of the tire trying to balloon it out.

Action

How did you get the tire to seat so you could put air in it? I tried to do the same thing but either bead was about an inch from the rim and I couldn't set it to seal enough to hold air, even with a ratchet strap around the diameter of the tire trying to balloon it out.
You can find videos online of using flamable liquid. After it seats, you need to quickly add air to keep it seated.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aired up no problem for me. If memory serves, I got one side to seat sort of, then wiggled the other side to catch. Soap and water. I think one of them I used a cheetah on to get it to seat that wasn't wide enough to get to seat on its own.

camoyj7

I agree with Patracy. Been running MTR's on 24 bolt hmmwv wheels for a long time without run flats. I used ether to seat beads to air mine up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks