• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

53 michelin xzl tires

aziator

Going to tackle my wheels soon. I have 7 HEMTT wheels back from powdercoat and all the tires waiting to be built up. My question, do I need to use these Hutchinson beadlock inserts? Not sure how easy they are to get in but they look much easier (and are a lot lighter) than the hard rubber run-flat inserts I have seen (I think that is what the other ones are).

beadlockinsert.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Going to tackle my wheels soon. I have 7 HEMTT wheels back from powdercoat and all the tires waiting to be built up. My question, do I need to use these Hutchinson beadlock inserts? Not sure how easy they are to get in but they look much easier (and are a lot lighter) than the hard rubber run-flat inserts I have seen (I think that is what the other ones are).

View attachment 775765
No. You not have to have them

Lonnie

Those metal bead locks are so easy to install, there is hardly a reason not to use them.

At least if you ever pop a tire, they will stay on the rim.

aziator

Those metal bead locks are so easy to install, there is hardly a reason not to use them.

I haven't had the privilege of flatting a military tire yet but I figured the 20 bolts holding the bead would hold it together, but I guess that is only the one side of the wheel...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had the privilege of flatting a military tire yet but I figured the 20 bolts holding the bead would hold it together, but I guess that is only the one side of the wheel...
Those bolts only hold the wheel halves together, but they do not lock the tire bead in place.
Do as suggested above, post #43.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

They will stay on the wheel even without them. It actually is an advantage on tires to not have them if you drive em for alot of miles so when it does blowout it does come off the wheel easy rather than a seized up alligator. Every 1600 i have had go has blown small holes in the sidewall wall and the rest of the tire holds fine. Haven't seen any AT3s with blowouts yet

Iceman3005

From the truck stop. About $30 dollars. It's the heavy duty rubber. Not that cheap neoprene crap that breaks really easily.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gotta say I'm getting a little jealous watching this thread progress. My 813 also wants some 53s, but I keep telling it jakes and turbo first...

Your rig will look good with those shoes on!

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, getting really close. All 60 new lug nuts are here! Ordered big air chuck and tire gauge! Should be here Monday. Ordered 96 new grade 8 nuts for rim halfs. Last 3 tires are being delivered on Monday. One of them will be the spare!View attachment 775358View attachment 775359

Where did you get your
new lug nuts & the big air chuck and tire gauge from??

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those beadlock insert are fairly easy to install, and they make seating the beads & airing up 16.00s a LOT easier. It's worth it to install them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
With a large bore and half inch air line you do not need an insert

They simply slip in and bolt the bands together. Be sure to use stainless steel bolts

Iceman3005

Where did you get your
new lug nuts & the big air chuck and tire gauge from??
I got the big bore chuck and air gauge from a local tire shop. The lugs I just googled the part number. Nick's truck parts where the cheapest I could find.

Iceman3005

Simp5782, I'm going to need to order 3 more valve stems from you. I stripped one out. Got a little over zealous with the ratchet. Oops. So figured my as well order a couple extras for just in case.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
the only bad part about the large bores is that they go to the inside against the drum. When you mount the tire/wheel up on the truck take a crowbar and push in the very end of it using the beadlock stud for leverage to pry it out so you can get the chuck on it in the future while on the truck. I rigged up a 3/8" hose with my large bore chuck and a air hose fittings on the other end so i can just clip it on and leave it.
Large bore gauges and chucks are available at napa. I use the swivel head gauge as it works best for what i use.

i had to break down an older 1600 this weekend to replace a valve stem and o ring just due to leaking... It is pretty easy with the right tools. around 10 mins per tire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks