• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-gator injector failure question

Ras1

Just got my new m gator fired up for the first time, started right up!

The engine idles great, some black smoke on acceleration, engine starts shaking and clunking at about 5mph.

Engine is a yanmar diesel .

I only test ran for about 5 mins. The injector on far passenger side is wet, and bubbles are coming from where it meets the head. It does not appear to be loose, or ever even removed from the factory, ie bubba has been messing with it. Clear return lines look good. I was hoping for a loose line or broken return but when I saw bubbles from cylinder pressure I think problem is more serious.

My question to gator folks is any thoughts on injectors or gaskets? I have changed injectors on humvees, they have a copper gasket. Before I tear into it I'm hoping someone has run across this. Bad head? Cracked injector?

Best place to buy injectors and engine parts?

Also looking for original m gator bed. Bubba changed mine out with a civilian one.

Thanks! Dave

Madmedic

Ditto what dougco1 said. This is the problem with M Gators...... John Deere is the only one with parts, and they are VERY proud of them. I just grit my teeth, whimper a little, and look at the John Deere Service Rep, and say "Fix It".

Madmedic

2nd thought......... on the bed. Are you sure "BUBBA" changed out that bed and not Uncle Sammie's kiddos? There are many many pictures of M-Gators with various parts from regular gators on them in the field. Wheels/Tires, Beds. etc.

123mack

My M-Gator had been to Afghanistan with the 160th aviation regt out of ft Campbell. When th 160th was disbanded, the gator was sent to DRMO and purchased it from gov planet. The way I know its' history is that a shipping tag was still attached to the bed. The vehicle had remnants of desert tan paint. I had trouble cranking and narrowed it down to the injectors. I took them apart and cleaned tem in an ultrasonic cleaner. They were filthy. After assembly, it cranked and ran fine.

Ras1

2nd thought......... on the bed. Are you sure "BUBBA" changed out that bed and not Uncle Sammie's kiddos? There are many many pictures of M-Gators with various parts from regular gators on them in the field. Wheels/Tires, Beds. etc.
I agree, could have been, but I talked to "bubba" who did the hack at the sheriff where I picked it up. the original bed was "rusty" and sent to the scrap yard. :(

Ras1

Still need help with color. I'm having a very challenging time finding the original trail olive paint for the M-gator. I can get it in spray cans, but so far no one sells the paint in gallons. I want to spray my steel parts, get rid of the spray can john deere green paint job done by "bubba".

I even talked to a powder coating service, but the only thing they could do is send away an original part and get close on color match.

Is this the only way I can get the paint? color match? I have sprayed many vehicles, and I'm very familiar with military paint codes, but this is obviously not a military color (close to vietnam era forest green, but not). I'm surprised the military didn't require a carc 383 green...

mdainsd

Contact JD. I recall seeing a 1 gallon offering of their proprietary color paint somewhere in the online catalog.

BTW the spray stuff is a dead ringer for the factory color, applied correctly over a properly prepared surface the finish is indistinguishable from the original paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks