• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC-1 plastic caps...

riderdan

So I've got my VIC-1 system up and running and installed in the HMMWV. The only thing I'm missing are two of the plastic "caps" that close off the unused cable connectors on the AM 1780.

Here are some of the more recent version:

am1780-caps.jpeg

though I'd prefer the older, screw-in type.

Does anyone know what these are officially called (my Googling was unsuccessful) and/or a source for them?

papakb

The AN/VIC-1 intercom systems came into use at the same time the VRC-12 family of radios was introduced, vintage mid-1960s. They are still in use today but are being replaced with the VIC-3, VIC-5, ROVIS, and DVIS systems in today's vehicles.

papakb

There is a series of manuals that are primarily for the VRC-12 family of radios but part of the manuals discuss installation of the VIC-1s in various vehicles. That series of manuals is the TM 11 5820-401-20 series. If you search around online they are all available through places like Radionerds or PRC68.com and I'm sure you'll find either the exact information you need or enough to get you through the installation.

Try searching with suffixes on the TM number like this: TM 11 5820-401-20-2. I know in the SINCGARS series of manuals that extra dash number takes you to installation manuals for almost every vehicle you could imagine.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks