• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antique Registration in PA

CommoChief

Greetings All,,,,I know this topic has been discussed quite a it in the forums however I was looking for some recent information in case the laws have changed.

My son and I are trying to register 2 deuces with Antique plates. One has been registered as a general Truck and the other has not been registered yet. The local Tags & Title guy states it can not be done as the Antique or Classic category only goes to 14,000 lbs gross weight
and the present titles state 13,500 lbs unladen and 26,000 lbs gross weight.

We see many trucks with Pennsylvania Antique plates on them from Tractors to Deuces. We will call the DOT on Monday but our experience with them is you get a different answer with each person you talk to. Even the PA State Police (I've got several Trooper friends) are not sure what
the ruling is.

My question is this: For those of you that have titled trucks, specifically Deuces, in PA in the last couple of years, what did you find out and how did you do it?? Also, is the weight based on the truck only? In other words, can we pull a trailer with additional weight? We were told the Antique vehicle can not be used to haul cargo however pulling a trailer (such as an M105) with items in it is technically not hauling cargo "in the truck".

Thanks in advance....Bill

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have never had a problem,I have titled over a dozen hmmwvs.deuces,5 tons and hemtts.All antique.I agree it all depends on what tag and title service you use.

CommoChief

I have never had a problem,I have titled over a dozen hmmwvs.deuces,5 tons and hemtts.All antique.I agree it all depends on what tag and title service you use.
So, as far as you know, does PA have a limit on the weight for a vehicle being tagged as Antique?

Lonnie

No.
Keep in mind when titled as an antique it will then be marked with the unladen weight only, since you are not to haul anything.

You should have no problem getting an antique plate for your vehicle.

CommoChief

Thanks to each of you for the info. Is there a problem then
pulling a trailer with a vehicle tagged as an Antique? And, if not,
what would the weight limit be on what could be towed?

i'm trying to find any advantage/disadvantage to retitling as an
Antique, other than the obvious cheaper registration fees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks