• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4th annual BA-DA BA-DA BING BANG RALLY 5/19/18 Atlantic, IA

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been driving it topless! I like it....

But weather forcast says thunderstorms in Atlantic IA on Saturday . I guess I better at least bring a soft top with me just in case.

154 cans in the back.... three pallets, one is a layer short..

20180515_154923.jpg

I've been driving it topless! I like it....

But weather forcast says thunderstorms in Atlantic IA on Saturday . I guess I better at least bring a soft top with me just in case.

154 cans in the back.... three pallets, one is a layer short..

View attachment 728486
Yes, I think the weatherman is just trying to make me worry. When I think of last year's rally and the rain we had then, it makes me think it is time for the weather to be nice for this year.

Either way, I have some really nice displays set-up inside. Sure I will post some photos . . . later . . . after the event. I have spoken with more than a few folks that are planning on coming down Friday night to see them. They are not able to attend because of work, but want to see my "stuff" anyway. They think they know what I have and want to see it. They have no idea. :shock:

I did talk about your ammo cans during the radio interview, but it was radio - so I don't know if anyone heard me. ;)

This is the last email before this year’s BA-DA BA-DA BING BANG Rally.

I have to get it sent this morning because I most likely will not be able to check my email any later than tonight, as I have to go “live” at the Armory tomorrow night. More on that later.

I have had at least one question about the “rain date”. There is no “rain date”. I hope it is not like last year, but if it is at least there are some nice displays set-up inside.

The most recent count is 30 vehicles and 148 tires. There have been some changes to anticipated attendance. It looks like I will not have my 150 tires. If you have a couple of extra tires, please throw them in the back. Maybe I will have to count the wheel barrow and bring my air compressor from the Shop.

The “Parade Permit” has been approved – so the Cruise is ready to happen.

I have received permission to use the large field southwest of the Depot to park transport vehicles. I hope the ground is not too soft for that purpose. Please use your best judgment, if you plan on parking there. Remember not to use the Fareway parking lot to unload your vehicles. Saturday is a regular business day for them and I don’t want to interfere with their business.

The parking lot at the Armory will be roped off and there will be no public parking allowed there. If you do not need to unload your vehicle (you are just driving it here), please feel free to find somebody and get the rope dropped so you can pull into the parking lot and park. If you are pulling a trailer – or driving something – ummmmmmm…. “less maneuverable” , it might be a good idea to park on the street until we can figure out where you can park. Don’t forget there are a few grassy areas that will make good parking spots for the smaller vehicles. PLEASE USE A GROUND GUIDE, WHEN MOVING YOUR VEHICLES AROUND IN THE PARKING LOT! An accident would really put a damper on the event.

You will find the Registration Table inside the Armory this year. Marie has to watch the displays. Please register your vehicle even, if it has been here before. The most difficult part of my job during the Rally is trying to figure out the next day who was here. Remember you get one door prize entry for each vehicle (including trailers) you bring. Marie will have your door prize registration slips on hand for those folks that told me they will be here. The rest of you will have to write you own slip.

You can pick up your meal ticket(s) at the Registration Table. I am told pulled pork is on the menu so you don’t want to miss out on that. The food stand will be in the garage just like last year.

Marie will also have your Owner/Operator gifts at the registration table. The door prizes will be on display somewhere. Sure, the boxes are sealed, but trust me. They are nice prizes.

Of course, I will be placing your trophies in your vehicles during the day. I use my discretion to determine who wins what. HINT: Everybody wins the same trophy – and it is a really nice one this year. I spent an unbelievable 72 cents on them. That is price per each so you know they are nice! I had to buy 6 dozen, but I promise I won’t use them again until at least next year.

John from Kansas will be bringing a truck load (yes, a truck load) of ammunition cans for sale. He posted a photo on Steel Soldiers. Don’t forget to take some home. I don’t know the price, but I expect it will be less than the gun show. I do know that others will be bringing some parts for sale so keep your eyes open.

I will move the last of my collection to the Armory tomorrow and then remain there until Saturday night. If you need to talk to me, just call my cell. If you get in town Friday night and want to come down and visit, I will be there. I will have my van parked in the parking lot prior to the start of the Rally.

See you soon.

Pictures! Pictures! Get Yer Pictures right here!

It might rain - better have some inside displays.
Bing Bang 2018 001.jpgBing Bang 2018 021.jpg

The calm before the storm.
Bing Bang 2018 032.jpg

No fluid leaks allowed.
Bing Bang 2018 046.jpg
j
Spare tires carried on the front? (Actually tail tires from a P-51 Mustang to help with the goal of 150 tires - one for each year of Atlantic's Sesquicentennial this year.)
Bing Bang 2018 059.jpg

Well, isn't that cute?
Bing Bang 2018 069.jpg

Starting to get a little crowded.
Bing Bang 2018 076.jpg

Wanna buy an ammo can?
Bing Bang 2018 080.jpg

You don't see one of those very often.
Bing Bang 2018 086.jpg

The rain is here. Let's eat inside and look at the other stuff.
Bing Bang 2018 090.jpg

Last edited:
Driver, bring my Jeep.
Bing Bang 2018 109.jpg

Did you notice the bullet hole?
Bing Bang 2018 107.jpg

Nuclear
Bing Bang 2018 123.jpg

Things that make you go BOOM!
Bing Bang 2018 119.jpg

Tank Killer.
Bing Bang 2018 128.jpg

They don't all need a caption, do they?
Bing Bang 2018 131.jpg

I wonder what happens, if I push this button?
Bing Bang 2018 153.jpg

Anybody want ice cream?
Bing Bang 2018 145.jpg

Last edited:
BA-DA BA-DA BING BANG RALLY
May 20, 2018​
SUBJECT: After Action Report - 2018

This was the fourth year for this event. For information concerning the origin of the event and other particular items concerning this event, refer to the After Action Report for 2015.
There were 32 pieces of equipment present for the Rally. This is an increase of 10 from last year. Identifying vehicles that are actually present for the event continues to be a problem. I actually resorted to using photos taken during the Rally to try and identify what vehicles either were sitting in the parking lot or those participating in the “Cruise”. Yes, I even checked license plate numbers to verify which vehicle I was looking at in the photo. There were 6 new Owner/Operators registered this year. It was interesting talking to them in order to learn how they had heard about the Rally. Contact information for the Owner/Operators is an ongoing task. At a minimum, I try to get their email address, as that is the primary method I use to contact them.
I set up my military gun collection and “High Explosives” collection inside the building this year. That included 44 weapons in addition to over 200 other items. I received many comments on these displays. A tremendous amount of effort goes into setting up this display, so if you missed it this year, check back in another five years or so.
There were 22 Owner/Operators registered for the Rally. Obviously some brought more than one vehicle. Trailers seemed to be very popular this year. I believe this was a result of my efforts to have 150 tires at the event in order to recognize Atlantic’s Sesquicentennial this year. There were 159 tires present at the event. I believe it is possible that some of the original participants in the Rally have lost interest and no longer have a desire to attend. Although I have no problem keeping them informed of the Rally, it causes unreasonable expectations for me concerning anticipated attendance. I keep two different email address lists – those wanting to be informed of the event and those participating in the event. The former list includes individuals with a personal interest, news media, ARISE members, and others. The other list includes only the Owner/Operators. It is the lack of communication from individuals on the latter list that frustrates me.

Lessons learned
Personnel / administration
1. Parking Lot arrangement – I believe I will have to start parking the vehicles with a lower profile and a flat smooth top first – and then add the other vehicles as a second layer. (That is a joke!) Yes, I am starting to run out of places to park vehicles. The numbers don’t seem to be as much of a problem as the size. There are more 5 ton cargo trucks then there are Jeeps or motorcycles. As I stated earlier, there seemed to be an inordinate amount of trailers this year and I credit that to the participants wanting to help me achieve my goal of 150 tires. There does not seem to be a problem with the actual movement of the vehicles within the parking lot. All of the participants attending the event are very good at moving and backing their vehicles. Ground guides are always used in the parking lot to prevent accidents.

2. Registration Table – A Registration Table was set up and identified as an area for the Owner/Operators to properly register their vehicles and/or verify the previously provided information concerning themselves and their vehicles. Meal tickets were distributed. All Owner/Operators and their guests eat free. Registration for the door prizes was based on one entry per vehicle or static display. Various “hand outs” such as, “welcome” bags, informational brochures, and snacks were also available at the Registration Table. This area was the place to receive the BA-DA BA-DA BING BANG RALLY gifts. This year’s gift was a small “coin purse” with an additional “Snap Link” key ring. The Registration Table was located inside the building in order to assist with security for the displays located there.

3. Atlantic Police Department – Coordination with the Department prior to the event ensured that the “Cruise” would be acceptable. The route was the same one used last year and there are many traffic signals along it. All vehicles in the convoy were instructed to obey the traffic controls. A “Parade Permit” was approved by the City Council prior to the event. Officers with the Police Department had other duties during the “Cruise” and were unable to provide traffic control this year. This did not create any problems during the “Cruise”. Arrangements were made prior to the event with the Police Chief providing security for the weapons display.

Intelligence / Security / Information
1. Publicity – All local news media did an excellent job of publicizing the event. Multiple radio interviews as well as newspaper articles were completed prior to the Rally. News media was present and covered the Rally. The Host (ARISE) placed advertisements in the media.

2. Early arrival of vehicles – Multiple vehicles and equipment arrived on Friday prior to the event. These items were stored in the Armory garage overnight.

Operations
1. Cannon firing – I fired my half-scale Civil War cannon multiple times during the event. A home-built 37mm anti-tank gun was also present at the event. We often fired them together. I was reminded prior to the “Cruise” that it was time to fire my cannon. The public and Owner/Operators expected this to happen and did not let me forget. The cannon was located in a different position this year and the timing of the firing was supervised by the Police Chief.

2. “Cruise” preparation – The cannon fire was intended to notify the Owner/Operators they had 15 minutes to prepare for the cruise. Owner/Operators were observed removing flags, storing equipment, and generally preparing to move their vehicles, but none thought the signal indicated an immediate departure. Due to the congestion in the parking lot, some vehicles actually pulled out of the lot using the alley and formed up on the street to allow the other vehicles space to move from their positions. This worked well and appeared to be just a “natural” occurrence with no coordinated effort or planning. One vehicle actually ran out of fuel soon after the start of the “Cruise”. Fortunately the vehicle was located very near to a fuel station and the vehicle in front of it quickly towed it to the station. This did cause a back up for the rest of the convoy and some civilian traffic on the highway. The location was quite fortunate as it was a planned turn around and the front of the convoy had a convenient area to wait for the vehicle to fuel.

3. Location – The Armory location worked well. Restroom facilities, military museum, and library tours were used by the Owner/Operators and the public during the Rally. The garage was converted into a temporary kitchen for the meal. The preferred location for this event is the Armory for the previously stated reasons. It appears I will have to give some serious thought on my options for vehicle parking as the Rally continues to grow.

4. Public parking – The attendance by the public was excellent. It is almost impossible to get an accurate count of those attending. There was a guest book at the front door, records at the Registration Table, and headcount during the meal. Still, counting attendance is like counting chickens in a barn lot. I just take a good guess – and then double it. My estimation for this year is well over 250. Not bad for a six hour event.

5. Transport vehicle parking – I do not know how many transport vehicles there were this year. Most of the participants knew of the available parking and just proceeded to that location. At least two trailers were parked there after unloading the vehicles at the Armory Friday afternoon. No vehicles unloaded in the Fareway parking lot. I had made that request in earlier messages to the participants. There was no “armor” present at this year’s event, so all of the transport vehicles / trailers were of the smaller version. There were no large semi-tractors and trailers as in previous years. Thanks to Atlantic Bottling Company for the use of the transport vehicle parking area.

6. “Cruise” route – Coordination with Wal-Mart prior to the event allowed use of their parking lot for the “Ice Cream Social” portion of the cruise. This worked very well with much more of the public at the scheduled stop. I noticed Wal-Mart’s customers would drive by the parked vehicles on their way to or from the store. Many of them would park their cars and get out in order to view the vehicles in the convoy. Total distance for the route was 5.6 miles with a total travel time of approximately 20 minutes. This time did not include the refueling stop or for the Ice Cream Social. A quick count of the vehicles in the “Cruise” gave a close estimate of the ice cream needed and it was purchased in the store.

7. Registration – Efforts to capture information about the vehicles and Owner/Operators continues. There is still incomplete information on vehicles and Owner/Operators. The incomplete information makes it difficult to accurately publicize the event in the local media. It also creates accuracy issues with historical records for the event. Moving the location of the Registration Table to the inside of the building did not seem to be an issue. The Owner/Operators seek out the Table when they arrive. The inside location also provided a more comfortable setting for those working at the table.

8. Weather – Rain was forecasted prior to the event. I know of at least one individual that did not bring their vehicle due to the possible weather and another that did not attend because he thought we would be “rained out”. There is a tremendous amount of planning prior to this Rally. There is not a “Rain Date”. If it does rain, attendance may be reduced and we may get wet, but we will have a Rally. It did rain for about 15 minutes during the meal but it turned out to be a beautiful afternoon. Temperatures in the morning were quite nice and then slightly cooler, but still very nice in the afternoon. The seats on my Jeep were dry before we left on the “Cruise”.

9. Schedule – The 9:00 AM published start time for the public worked better than previous years. The public did not arrive excessively early and those that did were able to see the various displays located within the Armory. Some of the newer Owner/Operators were unsure of the scheduled start time. As in previous years, those members of the public that arrived early – and then left early – did not see those vehicles that arrived at a later time.

Logistics
1. Trophies – All Owner/Operators were presented a trophy – one per vehicle. These trophies were more of a “gag gift” than anything else. A different trophy was used from the previous year. One individual even mentioned that he still had his trophies from previous years. Many trophies were on display during the Rally (usually sitting on the dash boards of the vehicles – even during the “Cruise”)

2. “Welcome Bags” from Chamber of Commerce – The Chamber provided “Welcome Bags” for distribution. These bags were filled with various items from local businesses in the community. They were quite nice and all those receiving them appeared to be appreciative. “Welcome Bags” were located beside the Registration Table to ensure they were received by the “out of town” individuals. There was an ample supply of bags and the excess ones were returned to the Chamber of Commerce.

3. Meal – The Host (ARISE) provided a kitchen for the public as well as the Owner/Operators. The menu consisted of pulled pork sandwiches, beans, chips, and cookies / bars. Water and lemonade were also provided. The meal was a free will donation. Forty three meal tickets were issued at the Registration Table. These tickets were issued at the discretion of the personnel working at the Table. Owner/Operators, their guests, and others were given meal tickets. They surrendered the ticket at the kitchen for their free meal.

4. Door prizes – All prizes were purchased or donated by others. Registration for the door prizes occurred during the registration of the vehicle. Door prize registration and eligibility was based on vehicles or static display. This made it possible for the same person to be eligible to win multiple times, if they brought more than one vehicle. This year one participant did actually win more than one prize. This was a change from last year, where a participant could only win one prize. Due to the luck of the draw and one person actually winning three prizes, the “one prize per participant” will resume next year. I try and have door prizes for approximately ten percent of the participants. There were eight door prizes awarded. The names were “placed in a hat” (actually they were placed in plastic Easter eggs and then placed in a canvas military communications equipment bag). A member of the public was picked at random and invited to draw eight eggs. Eight gold colored plastic Easter eggs were then placed in a bowl. Those eggs identified which door prize they won. Many thanks to Mr. Bob Boots for the hand carved combat boot. Seven other prizes – four miniature ammunition boxes filled with various tools and other items; and three “Dry boxes” filled with various items purchased for the event. Winners were: John M. – Hand-carved boot, Blake B. – three items (Stained ammo box and two Dry boxes), Scott L. – Unstained ammo box, Bob M. – Stained ammo box, Charlie S. – Unstained ammo box, Paul K. – Dry box

5. Expenses - I purchased all supplies for this event. Expenses this year were in excess of $800 including advertising, door prizes, gifts, and miscellaneous display supplies. There is no cost to attend the event by the general public or the Owner/Operators. I always enjoy comments from the new Owner/Operators wanting to know the cost to attend the event. I simply informed them there is no cost and I would even provide them a free meal.

Steve Livengood
BA-DA BA-DA BING BANG “Guy”

Bobert

Thank you for all the effort you put in to make this happen. It gets better each year.

I enjoyed the ice cream social time. There were a lot of shoppers coming to take a look and it was also a good time to check out everyone's equipment again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks