• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

T-34-85 price and availability?

ChaseR83

Hey guys,

Long time forum lurker here. I posted a similar query over on G503 and was advised to ask here as well. For the last year I have been learning and researching trying fulfill a 25 year dream, owning my own historic armored vehicle. I looked at Ferrets, M8s, Half-tracks, etc. but no matter what I knew what I really wanted was a tank.

As much as I'd love a Sherman, anything that is not a shot up wreck is out of my price range. Wouldn't mind an M3 Grant/Lee but their rarity makes that unlikely. I'm a fan of WW2 British armor, but the rarity coupled with the fact I simply don't think I can stuff myself inside one rules them out, despite their (relative) affordability vs. US tanks.

That leaves Russian armor. I don't think I can squeeze into a T-54/55, and the later tanks are simply too large do get through the shop door. Which brings me to the T-34, or more specifically the T-34-85 since I know the 76mm tanks are rare these days.

I think a T-34-85 would fit the bill perfectly... WW2 vintage design, built in large numbers, simple and easy to work on (for a tank), and much more affordable that US iron...

Can anybody give me an idea of current pricing and availability is for the T-34-85?

I've read through lots of old posts on various forums people seem to refer to them as "cheap and plentiful". Ten years ago somebody said they were going as cheap as 10k, a few years ago 20-40k, but I can't find any good current pricing. I'm sure they have gone up like everything else. They don't seem to be "plentiful" either, we can talk about Shermans being rare all day, but their are half a dozen for sale online right now if you have a heavy enough wallet.

The only recent sale I've seen is a James Julia auction from about 6 months ago where a "project" condition T-34-85 sold for 46k. Is that an average price?

I saw a website for a company called Mortar Investments selling T-34s with prices "starting" at 83k USD... but that appears to be a tank that has already been refurbished... I'd much rather have a project. I've been around long enough to know that anything that is 70 years old that looks "like new" is too good to be true. I'd much rather buy a project that I know needs to be completely gone through rather than a field tank that was barely coaxed into running with a quick re-spray inside and out.

I found very little info on the company online.... none of it was positive, and one person said (in 2017) that they were getting ready to close.How are spares for a T-34? For a tank built in such huge quantities I don't really see anything online as far a spare parts vendors, where as a simple google search for "Sherman tank parts" brings up a dozen vendors both in the US and Europe.

Do we have any T-34 owners on the site? If so I'd love to hear your personal impressions of the tank.

Thanks in advance :)

L1A1

There was a time not to long ago when you could've picked one of those up for 25-35k not so much anymore. ( I can remember back in '89 the Czechs were attempting to sell them for scap value of the steel in order to get hard currency. You could get a running one for around 5k -maybe less!). From what I've read about them they are a crude machine. Most of the owners who's accounts I've read were in the UK. Thought there was a T34/85 owner up in Baltimore,Md-thought he was a member on here? If there are parts dealers for them they will most likely be in Europe and eastern Europe at that. Good luck in your search!

Matt

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with your search! There are several members here that might be able to help you. A search for "chieftain" might bring you some favorable results. Try member Augdog1964 for some info.................... has always been personable to me and has quite a bit of armor.

Last edited:

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too have been looking into this. Check out mortarinvestments.eu. Its overseas but they can give you good quotes on costs of vehicle, shipping, cleaning etc. Could be a good option and the stock changes so you could luck up.

ChaseR83

I too have been looking into this. Check out mortarinvestments.eu. Its overseas but they can give you good quotes on costs of vehicle, shipping, cleaning etc. Could be a good option and the stock changes so you could luck up.
Have you researched them? Or gotten additional info directly from them? I only ask because I have tried to research them and I have found almost nothing about the company... save for a few puff-pieces written for military vehicle sites. I've never found anybody who was an actual customer of theirs. I was able to find 2 references to them on collectors websites. One person said they were completely uninterested and unhelpful with providing additional information on their vehicles and another who said they were going out of business in 2017... neither sound like a company I want to send money too.

The photos of the T-34-85 on their website is at least a year old. I am very wary of their "cleaned/restored" tanks at what I assume is a premium price.... I've seen plenty of photos of the how the Eastern Bloc countries stored old tanks... rusting away in fields by the hundreds. A quick re-spray on the inside and outside is not going to change that.

I've read the T-34 operator's manual and the know maintenance intervals... you have to tank the tank halfway apart every 1000kms. Has that service been done? I wouldn't trust 31 tons moving at 32mph with 50's era Soviet oil and grease in the transfer boxes and bearings.

In the last couple years their price jumped from the mid 50's to 83k USD for a T-34... I can find no other evidence of recent sales to back up that increase.... the T-34-85 that sold at the Julia auction last November (here in the US) went for 46k.

ChaseR83

A search for "chieftain" might bring you some favorable results. Try member Augdog1964 for some info.................... has always been personable to me and has quite a bit of armor.
By "cheiftain" do you mean the The Chieftain on Youtube and his videos? If so I've watched them all many times... I use his videos to get an idea of how I would fit in tank.... since he is 6'5" and I'm 6' tall. I he can cram himself into a tank I know I can...

I've searched through Augdog's old posts and I'm hoping he will find this thread at some point. I'm not sure he still has his T-34...

ChaseR83

From what I've read about them they are a crude machine.
Matt
Thank you for the reply... I have read that too but it doesn't bother me too much. Simplicity has a quality all its own. Many other tanks of the era are loaded with very interesting features that would make for great conversation when showing off one's iron... gyro stabilization, torsion bars suspension, pre-selector gearboxes, mechanical ballistic computers, or even the crazy oscillating turrets... but trying to locate missing parts or restore 40's or 50's state of the art tech would be a nightmare today.

The T-34 with its simple albeit crude technology would be much easy for a regular guy like me to restore and maintain, I don't have a full time crew of tank mechanics. I'd love to find a T-34 with the improved 5-speed gearbox... but even if I couldn't it wouldn't be the only crash-box in my collection.

Augdog1964

Stay away from Mortar Investments...

Read my post / Sticky on buying armor overseas.

The 45k T-34/85 as in rough shape... it would take a lot of money to bring her back. It could be done however.

How do I know? I bought the PT76 from the same auction.

If you are too big to fit in a T55, driving a '34 will be ****... the T55 has a LOT more leg room for driving once in. Parts far more plentiful... they only made 90k of them LOL!

Good luck with search... a nice '34 will run you almost 100k, projects less..

jdmcm

I agree with Augdog, the T-34/85 drivers position is much more cramped than our Type 69 (Chinese T54). Decent T34's are a 100k and remember parts and pieces have to come from Eastern Europe, and each load of parts comes with inevitable ATF paperwork. You really want a T-34/85 then convince Aug to part with his, at least your dealing in the USA, tank has been gone through mechanically and if I know Dave he has a container of spares for it. Because these days getting the tank is the cheapest part, keeping it outfitted with tracks, clutches, transmissions, final drives etc. is where the real dollars add up

ChaseR83

Thank you to all that have replied,

I've watched videos on the T-55 as well, and I just can't see how the driving position could be better than the T-34, but I will trust actual vehicle owner's opinions on that. But it is just not driving.... it is the space in the other positions as well. I think I've have to grease myself to get in the commanders seat. I'm just under 6' tall and kind of stocky, with broad shoulders and fairly short legs for my height. Just by watching videos ( I know not ideal research), every position seems to be roomier in the 34-85.

If I'm going to be putting in the money and sweat equity... I don't always want to be stuck driving... sometimes I want to be the guy sitting on top of the turret.

The T-55 and all the other newer and more modern vehicles have another distinct issue... more state of the art 50's tech. All of the fancy power everything, stabilization systems, fancier optics, IR systems, etc. sound really neat until they are all rusted and broken and one has to try and and repair and restore them. I want as many things working on my tank as I legally can, because I want to be able to go to Cannon/Mg shoots. Since that is not the scope of this website, I will not go into further detail short of saying I am fully aware of the BATF's rules and regulations.

I'm really not a BMP fan.... and IIRC prices have been steadily climbing on them as well.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're right! Your $, get what you want. That's the fun part. Good luck with search! Keep us informed as we ( I ) are living our armor dreams with your help.....thanks!

I have a remote control Leopard II........that's my extent...LOL

teletech

Have you considered an Abbot?
I know it's not a "real" tank, but it's pretty affordable compared to a MBT plus, they made a lot of the FV43x vehicles so spares are easy to come by.
I don't know how they fit, but these guys would know: the fv430 forum - Index page

[url]http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/view_large.php?ad=90703&cat=1

[/URL]Could be another option, the M24 is WWII as you preferred and with side-by-side controls you have a way to train new drivers so you can ride in the commander's seat more often. I don't know, but I'd suspect that side-by-side setup also suggests that alone you could spread out a little. Tankers did tend to be on the smaller side, so nothing that old is likely to fit all that well.

Last edited:

L1A1

[URL]http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/view_large.php?ad=90703&cat=1

[/URL]Could be another option, the M24 is WWII as you preferred and with side-by-side controls you have a way to train new drivers so you can ride in the commander's seat more often. I don't know, but I'd suspect that side-by-side setup also suggests that alone you could spread out a little. Tankers did tend to be on the smaller side, so nothing that old is likely to fit all that well.
I think that if the OP doesn't want to go the price for an Sherman than he's definately not going to like the prices that M24s are bringing these days. They are a really nice tank BTW....
Matt

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know if you've already done this so I'll just throw it out there.

Have you contacted any other places that sell some of the unusual military vehicles? I was thinking about Idaho Motor Pool. Now, he (presume it's a "he"), doesn't have any tanks but occasionally has an APC. I gotta wonder where he gets them from. Maybe talking to these people they might give you some of their contacts. Also when you do your searches on google, put on the extension of a country code, like .uk, etc. Google translate is also very good if you come across something that you can't read.

Apologies if I'm being obvious. Research and finding things is a skill of mine and intuitive but I know to some people it isn't.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks