• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Russia's new "Stealth Jet"

o1951

Close-up photos of Russia's new 'stealth' jet reveal its true purpose — and it's a big threat to the US
jet.jpg

© Provided by Business Insider Su-57 Moscow Victory Day parade 2018 Russia's "fifth-generation," "combat-tested," "stealth" fighter jet has a lot of dubious claims made about it, but recent close-up photography of the plane from Russia's Victory Day parade on May 9 reveals it's just not a stealth jet.
Russia has tried to sell the plane as a stealth jet to India, but India recently backed out of the program. Considering a shrinking economy and defense spending, it's unclear now if Russia will ever produce the Su-57 in reasonable quantities.
Business Insider asked a senior scientist working on stealth aircraft how to evaluate the plane's stealth, and the results were not good.
The scientist, who spoke on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of stealth work, pointed out six major problems from the pictures.
First, take a look at the seams between the flaps on the aircraft — they're big. For reference, look at the US's F-22, the stealthiest fighter jet on earth:
© Provided by Business Insider f 22 underside The flaps at the end of the wing have very tight seams, which don't scatter radar waves, thereby maintaining a low profile.
Secondly, look at the Su-57's vertical rear tails. They have a wide gap where they stray from the fuselage. Keeping a tight profile is essential to stealth, according to the scientist.
© Provided by Business Insider T-50 PAK FA Look at the F-35's rear tails for reference — they touch the whole way.
© Provided by Business Insider f 35 Third, look at the nose of the Su-57 — it has noticeable seams around the canopy, which kills stealth. The F-35 and F-22 share a smooth, sloped look.
It's likely Russia doesn't have the machining technology to produce such a surface. The actual nose of the Su-57 looks bolted on with noticeable rivets.
Finally, take a look at the underside of the Su-57 — it has rivets and sharp edges everywhere. "If nothing else convinces that no effort at [stealth] was attempted, this is the clincher," said the scientist.
Russia didn't even try at stealth, but that's not their purpose

© Provided by Business Insider Su-57 As the scientist pointed out, Russia didn't even appear to seriously try to make a stealth aircraft. The Su-57 takes certain measures, like storing weapons internally, that improve the stealth, but it's leaps and bounds from a US or even Chinese effort.
This highlights the true purpose of Russia's new fighter — not to evade radar itself, but to kill US stealth jets like the F-35 and F-22.
The Su-57 will feature side mounted radars along its nose, an infrared search and track radar up front, and additional radars in front and back, as well as on the wings.
As The Drive's Tyler Rogoway points out, the side-mounted radars on the Su-57 allow it to excel at a tactic called "beaming" that can trick the radars on US stealth jets. Beaming entails flying perpendicular to a fighter's radar in a way that makes the fighter dismiss the signature of the jet as a non-target.
Any fighter can "beam" by flying sideways, but the Su-57, with sideways-mounted radars, can actually guide missiles and score kills from that direction.
Russia has long taken a different approach to fighter aircraft than the US, but the Su-57 shows that even without the fancy percision-machined stealth of an F-22, Moscow's jets can remain dangerous and relevant.

jet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sorry, I can not go to the links, msn is NOT allowed on my lap top, so If you can, how about POSTING the plane pictures so we all can view them.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rear.jpg front.jpg SU-57 underside.jpg

I momentarily allowed MSN on my laptop, and instantly regretted it. But I got the pics!

And Prince Harry is taller than most people realize, and Celine Dion's son is an aspiring rapper...good to know.

o1951

OK, you guys started it. Going off topic for a sec. Why isn't MSN allowed on your systems? I run Win 7 or 10, depending on computer, MS office, Hotmail, MSN. Actually like MSN news. No issues.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
OK, you guys started it. Going off topic for a sec. Why isn't MSN allowed on your systems? I run Win 7 or 10, depending on computer, MS office, Hotmail, MSN. Actually like MSN news. No issues.
IF I answer this question fully, I will get banned from the site for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time, just let say I do not like the way msn treats our (everybodys) PRESIDENT.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks