• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Very happy with 700R4 in M1009

Iceman3005

What stall convertor are you running? Any trans I do gets a 1200 stall, with an anti balloon plate welded on. The TC's I use are rated for 600 HP.

impulsive21

Steel Soldiers Supporter
alpine44 I have a 84 m1009. just had some issues with torque converter I think . anyway if I going to pull all this crap I was thinking of an upgrade.
is there anything needed other than the trans and np241 for this swap or can it be done with the np208tc. im looking at my options . also I know the th400 is strong but slow is the 700r4 just as strong or more for speed or economy like the 4l80e. any advice is greatly appreciated since my {mechanably} is not that great but have mechanic friends to help.

Winston Wolf

If you really want the lock up to work like it should, it can be done, and here's how to do it...

On some of the civilian diesels, there was an electrical switch instead of the vacuum switch that is on the military versions throttle. I don't know the part number off hand, but they aren't cheap or easy to find. That switch is fully adjustable for a minimum and maximum throttle. You wire that switch in to the TCC circuit and adjust it so that when you let off the throttle, it unlocks. Then the next adjustment is just off idle, and that engages the TCC solenoid. Then there is a range, mine is set at probably half throttle, that unlocks the clutch. I also have a B&M speed sensor in the circuit that only allows lockup over a set speed, mine is around 45 I think.

So, as you accelerate normally, it shifts through the gears, and once you get to 45 (or whatever speed you choose) and if the throttle is from just off idle to under 1/2, it will lock up. As soon as you start putting your foot into it (hills, heavier acceleration) it will unlock. Once the load is light enough again, it will lock back up. If you really have to get into it, it will unlock, then shift into 3rd as normal. But no matter what, if you are over 1/2 throttle, it won't lock up, putting stress on the lockup clutch. I do have override switches for lockup, but really never need anything but it to work automatically. If you drive a stock vehicle with a 700r4, this is how they drive. You also need it wired into the brake circuit, btw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks