• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bfgoodrich Baja vs Goodyear Wrangler MT opinions

what are the current opinions on these two tire models?
wear, UV resistance, grip on ice, mud, pavement, etc..

bfgoodrich baja 37x12.50R16.5LT
goodyear wrangler MT 37x12.50R16.5LT
CAD3790B-77A4-41D4-B41C-B04EE05490BA.jpeg
5B511EC1-34A0-4E90-9C2D-95E7301F82B2.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
MTs are a good all around tire. bajas are ok along with the goodyear MTR there is not much difference. The Baja and MTRs have E load ranges available so they would wear slower and could carry more weight.

Dock Rocker

what are the current opinions on these two tire models?
wear, UV resistance, grip on ice, mud, pavement, etc..

bfgoodrich baja 37x12.50R16.5LT
goodyear wrangler MT 37x12.50R16.5LT
View attachment 727935
View attachment 727936

They all pretty well suck. They are a descent middle of the road tire. They don’t do anything great but don’t do anything terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run the D range Bajas and I am very happy with them on even spaced d 24 bolt wheels.

The sidewall is much softer on the bajas than the latest kelvar goodyear E MTR's. I get a very smooth ride and excellent traction. Really no worse than my daily driver tahoe or durango which says a lot for a hmmwv. The runflats do take a few miles to get happy, then everything levels out. I did have them all balanced. Air pressure is a big variable. Many trains of thought. I run empty with no weight so I do 30 front/35 rear. Wear is even with no issues.

Now I am city/highway with occasional dirt roads so the traction is great for me. I do not need stiff sidewalls as no rocks in my future so your ymmv.

I find the bajas rode better than the older goodyear mt

snowtrac nome

The good year ires were the only approved tires fro the hmmwv's, running other manufactures tires at the pressure recommended for the hmmwv resulted in tire failure. I tried it with my bfg mt's on my old chevy pu I had 3 sidewall failures before the tread was even 50 percent I went back to the bfg recomeded pressures and dealt with the crappy ride.

orgnal

I switched from Goodyear Wrangler MT to BFGoodrich Bajas and I like the ride a lot better after the switch. BFGoodrich Bajas feel a lot less bouncy on the road compared to Goodyear Wrangler MTs.

McReddy

snowtrac nome

as I remember the m 998 was 20 psi in the front and 25 for the rear. highway handling I believe could improved with more air pressure. where I live the roads are dirt after a good rain the wash board and potholes can be a killer. The softer tires make the ride a little more bearable air them things up to 50 and even the hmmwv will rattle your teeth out. my experience it the other tire brands don't stand up well to the heat generated in the sidewall from low pressure. Just my 2 cents I gave up trying to make pickups ride nice and went out got an lmtv now my tires just bridge all but the worst road conditions.

erasedhammer

I have BFG Baja load E with 24 bolt paired spacing.
I run 35 front, 30 rear. They run pretty well, came pre balanced and are smooth at all speeds.

I plan on taking out the runflats and replacing with pvc beadlocks to lighten the tire. nearly 40lbs per tire, should ride better and have better acceleration/braking, plus a small bump in mpg.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks