• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote fuel tank for mep802a

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

I'm looking to add a remote fuel tank around 150 gallons.
Any recommendations for how and what to use for the line connection?
The tank is designed for a transfer type pump (all fittings on top) but I planned to pipe it directly to either the remote fuel pump or the main fuel line pump supply.
Was wondering about if line was to fail is there a check valve or some safety device to prevent tank from siphoning out.
Any information that anyone might have or know would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So just use the AUX FUEL setting on your machine as intended. The fuel accessories you will need can be found here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?171024-Generator-AUX-fuel-connections

You will just need the fuel line, and the 2" bung adapter... and you should be good to go! It will fit into any 2" bung fitting (which you probably have on your transfer tank already). Run the set in the appropriate run setting as called out, and your machine will refill itself on demand.

If you want to not use the aux pump, then it will take a little bit of reconfiguring... but not that much (you will simply be plumbing to the inlet of your main fuel pump instead).

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And if you do as Light-in-the-Dark says, there will be no problems with "Was wondering about if line was to fail is there a check valve or some safety device to prevent tank from siphoning out." That is what "Prime and Run Aux Fuel" is for. No need to re-invent the wheel.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was referring to the line from a 150 gallon tank that feeds the 803a. If that line is breached that 150 tank can siphon out, no wheel just fuel every where.

Thank you,

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you will want an anti-siphon valve for an above ground tank then. You will probably need to do some custom machining to make it work, along with the factory aux input line.... but its possible. Do you have multiple inlet/outlets on the top of the tank?

Chainbreaker

Not elegant or automatic but you could always insert a simple cutoff valve inline with the fuel line coming out of bung on your aux tank. When you are running genset you open it only when genset is in aux/run and when genset is off you close valve on tank. Prevents a 150 gallon mess if your aux hose were to somehow spring a leak when not being used. The only downside is another thing to remember to do on pre-run/post run check list.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going for an on/off valve you can choose a solenoid valve and wire it to the AUX fuel pump.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any recommended brand for that solenoid like red hat? I presume that solenoid for the auxiliary fuel supply is 24 volt DC supplied?
If you are going for an on/off valve you can choose a solenoid valve and wire it to the AUX fuel pump.

Hi,

I'm looking to add a remote fuel tank around 150 gallons.
Any recommendations for how and what to use for the line connection?
The tank is designed for a transfer type pump (all fittings on top) but I planned to pipe it directly to either the remote fuel pump or the main fuel line pump supply.
Was wondering about if line was to fail is there a check valve or some safety device to prevent tank from siphoning out.
Any information that anyone might have or know would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Took that pic from another members post not my property but a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Any recommended brand for that solenoid like red hat? I presume that solenoid for the auxiliary fuel supply is 24 volt DC supplied?

There is no solenoid in the Aux fuel system. When S1, pin five gets voltage, the pump runs. Nothing more.

Chainbreaker

Took that pic from another members post not my property but a great idea
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that's one of my MEP-002a's rig's aux tanks. However those 2 shutoff valves in pictures on top & bottom of tank are not specifically being used for that purpose there. They are used for the tank's sediment sump drain and for the desiccant moisture filter on top (removes moisture from air during operation, top shutoff valve prevents breathing when not in use).

However those brass valves are fairly inexpensive and would work to shutoff aux fuel line. Since my unit has new aux hose and is up off ground on trailer with short hose run I am relying on the Aux pumps solenoid valve to shut off fuel supply when not running in aux fuel transfer mode. However, the solenoid is downstream so there is still a slight risk in my setup...that if the aux hose were to somehow spring a leak I might come out one morning to see a 50 gallon diesel wet spot below trailer. I do fuel hose inspections often on all my rigs.

However with that said, for the OP's intended purpose with a 802a unit I like "Diesel Addicts" recommendation to use a solenoid at draw source instead. Its upstream and automatic so nothing to remember to configure each time.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, the solenoid shut off valve idea hook to aux pump sounds like what I'm going to try for.

Thank you to all that put in there ideas .

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been traveling so I've not been able to answer the question. Yea, something like a redhat solenoid valve with a 24v coil would work.

Chainbreaker

The MEP-002a /-003a uses a "KIP 6x323 Solenoid" or equivalent. They are on eBay and a few other places for around $40 or cheaper depending on supply and availability.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

If you do utilize the KIP 6x323 24V fuel solenoid you will need to source a female 3 pin (2 pins used) keyed connector as shown in the photo I took below:

IMG_0180.jpg IMG_0181.jpg

Last edited:

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no solenoid in the Aux fuel system. When S1, pin five gets voltage, the pump runs. Nothing more.
S1 pin 5 ??

Does pin 5 have 24v dc when aux is running.

S1 location

Thank you,

Guyfang

Staff member
S1 pin 5 ??

Does pin 5 have 24v dc when aux is running. Yes, all DC circuits have 24 volts, and pin 5 is for Aux operation.

S1 location Start switch. If you look at the inside of the control panel, all components are marked.

Thank you,

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, got it. Would you know as to
Where to get the conector for the KIP solenoid? I did find the KIP solenoid on ebay.

Thank you,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks