• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Update on the 71 marine/navy truck

MikesDeuce

So I’m still trying to figure out how to view/post pics of yours and post mine.....

I will be happy to update that I got my 3rd shipment from Boyce and it included a new-to-me temp gauge and a primary fuel filter canister (as mine didn’t have the necessary hardware to mount new one properly)....

Put on the new primary filter without s glitch (or leak)....

Also installed new temp gauge with my daughter, easy enough.

My temps reading between 160-200 after a whirling it around the block.....

But what did notice is /still/ blue smoke in the exhaust. The previous owner ran tranny and WMO in her... since I’ve ran nothing but road diesel, MMO, diesel kleen (both variants), and Lucas injector cleaner. Yes I did flush the in tank pump. Yes, mucho powerrrrrr tho lots of it. She whines up to 2500-2600k easy no prob!!!! .... whereas before she would barely hit 1,800k...

I guess what I’m asking is that....... I took her for a 9 mile drive on Saturday to my uncles house for mother’s day and saw a leak from the IP which looked liked diesel gas mix... coming from the IP......

I’ve read and spoke to a lot of fellow soldiers about O ring changes in the IP but could this be related to my “bluefish smoke”.... also would it be more conducive to replace the IP with a reman unit or to actually to gamble with / and or change out the rings myself....?

Again, I’m a mechanical engineer but seems like anything on this truck is imrimidating as **** (grantid I rode on these ugly beasts for over 7 years)....

I just want the IP to be awesome and not sure to rebuild or to replace!!!?? Due to my current and upcoming job, I truly want to be that jackhat who drives up to the meeting in a 2.5 (of course road diesel) .... meaning I’d be and prefer it to be daily driven, DAILY.

Any and all feedback is much appreciated sirs and fellow gals.

Thanks in advance!

Ps: I just adjusted to the handbrake/em-brake with my “hands” and oh what a joy :) to park on a hill!

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the previous owner was running waste oil in it you probably need to flush and clean the tank , not just the in take pump.

MikesDeuce

Yes sir, porkysplace, I have done so. However, my SS-mentor (who isn’t as close as I’d like him to be, but close enough), suggested that as well.

He advised to remove tank, drain, take to rad shop and have them do their magic and boil/clean then seal it.

However, I decided to do the poor man approach... not cause poor ...yet. But cause I knew there will be other things for sure to come up that would negate the cost of $400 to clean (not even seal) the tank. I called everywhere local and most outsourced to same guy that quoted me $400 and apparently he “advised” against sealing it because “he’s been in the business for 939292 million years blah blah”.

Sounded to me he either didn’t have the means to seal a tank or didn’t want to seal mine...

Anyhow, I drained it, flushed it with fresh diesel, ran some diesel kleen, more fresh diesel, then added a bottle of Lucas injector clean. Still a smoken.

As advised by my SS mentor, he said itll take a while for all the seals and rubber internals to become reseated again... yet after the small/sporadic oil/diesel leak from the IP, I’m curious and asking if it may be due to bad or going seals on the IP...?

What y’all think?

Btw just got her tagged today. Not commercial. Actually sent wife to get it done and thought I’d have glass or razor blades in my supper and she said it was a breeze. I’ll keep y’all updated in case I need new kidneys or have a prolapse.

Thanks again and much love from the mosquitobites of south GA!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was reading one of your other threads , it looks like you met Ron ( 73M819 ) he is a wealth of knowledge. It sounds like the o-rings on the hydraulic head may be getting bad ( there is a thread in the stickies on this ) .But just incase you need them here are the o-ring sizes , Viton o-rings seem to be the way to go.

O-Ring Sizes:

Large O-Ring: 2.484 x .139 = -230 or 230 (depending on which standard)
Small O-ring: 2.109 x .139 = -227 or 227 (depending on which standard)
Actuator O-Ring: .426 x .070 = -013 or 013 (depending on which standard)

Thanks to Frank8003's post in this thread for the sizes.
[h=1]Injection pump O ring replacement[/h]

dmetalmiki

You can scrub, clean, wash, coat, add stuff, kick scream! whatever..Deuces ARE smoky beasts.
(No matter the what!).
You should try a five tonner..or (not) follow one.

MikesDeuce

Sorry for the last reply fellas, I was out of country for a week....

I understand they are smokey as heck but the ones I’ve been around in the past or diesels in general always smoke black, thick black not bluish...?

MikesDeuce

So another update from this past week. I’ve kind of
paused the smoke issue as I found the front drivers side wheel leaking brake juice and also axle 2 drivers side as well leaking...

After speaking to my MV-Mentor for hours in the past few days, I’ve decided to go with his wisdom and work on the brakes first then move back into the blue smoke/popping issues....
however, while I wait on $ and parts, I’ve been instructed to work on the loose ends I can work on without $ and parts. Lol I know, I know, what a paradox!

Basically ive been doing a lot of research on the HH and FDC and it’s driving me nuts! I’m stsrting to think my minor leak is from the fdc but was wondering if the popping misfire smoke could be as a result? I know what the fdc does and how it does it but how much of an effect does it have on idle??

i guess I’m about to melt out here in 93 degree weather and pull the air filter and attempt to clean it out...
the blue smoke and pop literally keeps me up at night so if any advice or leads would be greatly appreciated.

im going to post some vids up soon to better portray my “pop” in hopes of getting it resolved before my brain “pops”

thanks guys!

MikesDeuce

Ok so about 4 gallons of sweat later, took the air filter off and surprisingly it was very clean.

decided to poke around the IP leak area while it was idling... saw that it was leaking from the HH, but not from where the HH mates to the IP, but rather from the upper part (where the lines injector lines attach to the HH)

could a line connection be loose or will one of the o rings cause it to leake from up there as well?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Line connection can be loose but do not go all ape when tightening. The head can also crack, causing it to leak. Also there is a hex head centre bolt. Make sure that is tight. After cleaning everuthing, run it briefly and see if you can determine where it leaks from. If it is the hex center bolt, it should seal on its own but some have placed a copper gasket underneath to stop a leak.

MikesDeuce

Cattlerepairman, thanks for the advice!
When I looked at it, it seemed like the “leak” of fresh diesel was coming from the top of the HH right under the silver “plate” where the lines to the injectors when into the head...

but do you think that the leaky HH or fdc or anything here would cause her to “pop” on idle without the handtrottle engaged?

Btw it’s had nothing but pump diesel with some dieselkleen and Lucas for about 2-3 solid tanksworth.

new filters, still no oil change yet bc I’ve been wanting to see if it’s been makin oil which so far doesn’t seem so. Oil still thick (and black) not runny or smelly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks