• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duramax Diesel Engine Conversion Kit

Iceman3005

For the price of there motor mount kit, you could ad a turbo to the old 6.2 and turn up the pump, that should add almost 100 HP. then for another 600 bucks add a water meth kit and that should add another 60-100 HP. that should put the HP and torque right around a stock duramax. for only about 1000 dollars. A lot cheaper than buying a used duramax and transmission.

Last edited:

Jozseph

FWIW.....

I have a 6.2na in a 86 M1031 and a 6.5 turbo in a 99 Suburban.

A Durmax is a much better engine.

A Durmax LML with a 6l90 or better yet a 8L90 in the M1031 is what I would like.

Would make the M1031 a sleeper.

Regards

Joseph

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the price of there motor mount kit, you could ad a turbo to the old 6.2 and turn up the pump, that should add almost 100 HP. then for another 600 bucks add a water meth kit and that should add another 60-100 HP. that should put the HP and torque right around a stock duramax. for only about 1000 dollars. A lot cheaper than buying a used duramax and transmission.
Agree and not to forget the TCM and other small trinkets. Mine just started to go and it cost $650 just for that plus $300 to program. I am glad I added the Edge Insight CTS2 as I can clear codes while on the fly as I had to do when the TCM was getting tired.
My TCM went out in the yard one day for the last time and would not go in any gear plus I could not clear the codes. I shut her down unplugged the TCM and plugged it back in fired her up. She was working again so off to the dealer I went for the new one.

Last edited:

Barrman

Besides the electronic complexity. Where would the intercooler go? I know if a radiator gets a nip and a tuck here or there. That an early year Duramax intercooler with a few modifications can be made to fit after the entire front valence is reworked. However, that is for a 6.2 radiator. How much more capacity does a Duramax radiator need to be to cool the extra horses?

I think the idea of the kit is great and that 20 years from now it will be the normal square body modification. Kind of like the "Put an LS into a '57 Chevy" stuff you find everywhere these days. I'm just pointing out some of the required items to get dependable long lasting use of the swap that don't seem to be addressed yet.

Iceman3005

Would be cheaper and easier in the long run to just drop a 12 valve cummins and a 47rh trans in it. Probably only have 2 grand into it. Plus you only need 5 wires and your up and running.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

ridenby

Found the following;

"gm square body duramax diesel engine conversion '73-'87 C & K SERIES......"

Looks like simple swap and bolt and to me it does not look expensive{the conversion parts/kit] compaired to fabricating everything yourself.

http://www.precisionfabricationplus.com/duramax-diesel-engine-conversion.html

I have no interest in the company, only a possible purchaser of the kit.

Regards

Joseph
Seems very reasonable. Particularity time/materials to fab.

LT67

FWIW.....

I have a 6.2na in a 86 M1031 and a 6.5 turbo in a 99 Suburban.

A Durmax is a much better engine.

A Durmax LML with a 6l90 or better yet a 8L90 in the M1031 is what I would like.

Would make the M1031 a sleeper.

Regards

Joseph
I agree with the Duramax being a much better engine... my 04 GMC 2500 Duramax truck moves on down the road with very little right foot on the loud pedal. Having said that, I **** sure do not want that much power in a 1985 M1008. I'd wind up wrapping it around a tree. I'll stick with my factory 6.2 naturally aspirated....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I miss my duramax. (And the Cummins I had) That said, my 1008 will retain a 6.2 (but I did turbo it). It is what it is. The only creature comforts and upgrades to the 1008 will be a 700R4 or 4L80e, radio, cig outlet, and maybe AC. If I want another Duramax, I'll buy the truck that matches to get a much more comfy ride. The other factor is, I question the frame/suspension being up for the task for a long term run.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks