• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 LWS Shield Dimensions

74M35A2

Anybody have the LWS (chicken) shield dimensions and approximate bend angle? Looking to make one vs pay $900. Thanks.

74M35A2

Don’t need blueprint level, just approximate of each flat face, the “U” cut out and position, and the bend angle.

Example:

D1375BF7-DD25-497F-A6F9-ECE3AB6A3A23.jpeg 058290B0-6CD7-4BDE-B1D7-92886CECC065.png

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks to be only about 20 degrees. Welding the bend will partially defeat the point of using ar plate, leaving you with a soft/vulnerable seam. If you have access to a press brake, ar500 will bend, it just takes a little more tonnage and little harder hit due to more spring back vs softer steels. You can help avoid the risk of cracking by bending across the grain, using a lager die and pre-warming (warm, not hot) the metal.

74M35A2

I don't think anybody that sell or makes/sells them is going to give me dimensions.

Thanks wsu. From your frontal pic, I should be able to scale it, simply using one of the windshield frames as a known reference (measure mine). I don't know the bend angle, and it will be harder to gauge the dimensions of that panel due to the angle view from the front, but should be able to pound out one close. I'll likely just trim the bottom of the shield up a pinch if it is in contact with the cross bar, as I'm not on a 100% accuracy job, but your work looks great.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Throw a little $ at his Paypal, and see if wsucougarx will make a paper template and mail it to you, then send it to 98g when your finished.

PureMayhem

This could be done pretty easily with SketchUp and the frontal picture of WSUCougarx truck. You can import the photo into SketchUp and then use a known dimension on the truck to get the dimensions of the shield (or any other dimension on the truck for that matter). You would then have a model in SketchUp that could be used to build it. The same way they build all the models of buildings in Google Earth.

74M35A2

I'm going to try and have our CAD guy at work scale the dimensionals from wsu's 2-D frontal pic tomorrow, given the windshield total width as reference off my truck, if he has a pinch of free time. That should be close enough to do what I want. Angle will likely just have to be an educated guess, unless there is a shield at the Findlay show this Saturday I could measure.

Length of the 50 cal ammo can in the one pic would provide even better resolution, since the photo is larger in total, if anybody knows or can find it. I'm finding 11", 11.5", 12", and 12.5". I do have the LWS cross bar though, so could use that, but the larger the item in the photo, the more accurate the resolution will be.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope to make it to Findlay for a few hours tomorrow. Will keep my eyes peeled and tape measure at the ready also.

74M35A2

Thanks, take one of your kids protractors too!

Also, I just copied the closer up picture into the "Paint" program under Windows Accessories. I remember that program having an X-Y coordinate display at the bottom edge for the cursor, so using the close up pic and the known cross tube diameter as reference, that will do it easily. Probably just a few minutes of poking around, and I should have most all of it. I'll post what I come up with. It won't be super accurate, but reasonably close for anybody wanting to make one (steel, aluminum, cereal box, whatever).

Phone conference with Japan this evening, so I'll just sit on the end of the meeting table and pound this out while there. :)

LWS Shield Dimensional Trial.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

My writing sucks, but here is what I came up with. The bend angle and length of that bent fin are going to be off, and much longer than the 4.6” estimated. The rest may be reasonably close (?). The rectangular mounting bolt pattern seems to be about 2.33” x 5.88”, approximately. Start with a flat rectangular plate of 17" x 40" (this is assuming bent fin length is about 6").

8A1F8167-D239-4CF7-BBC2-5135B5935278.jpg

I'll take a protractor and tape measure to Findlay on Saturday, and see if anybody will be cooperative.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Interesting, thanks. Besides being a mirror image, it seems the dimensions are slightly different. Wonder if that is something somebody made for themselves (their own design and dimensions), or if mine is way off.

I was at Findlay this past weekend, and was told by a guy walking around that he was at Knob's Creek machine gun rally, and a guy came in with a pallet of these shields, and wanted $75 for them. Definitely less than the $800-$900 they want for these otherwise, but, it what it is if they can get it.

74M35A2

The triangular "weapons tray" on my LWS ring is not like the Humvee one, so I am told. Mine is symmetric on both legs (same length), and looks to not require what is called a "bearing sleeve", which is a tube with 4 square headed set screws in it. A bearing sleeve looks to be typically retained by a pin through the center of it. I think the receiving bore of my M939 removed LWS tray is ready to accept a pintle directly? It has steps within it and a pin which goes through the bore at the edge of it, not through the center. I have purchased a UPA (Universal Pintle Adapter) with handle and lock, shield, and shield mounting arm, as well as a small piece which goes into the top of the UPA for mounting whatever you want.

Appreciate any advice anybody has on what type I have, the nomenclature, or needs to complete. I wonder if the shield will sit high enough without a bearing sleeve to rotate and not hit anything.

Thanks.

95A71E75-8B75-433E-8833-CE74906454C5.jpg1DC8A7A5-5CBB-453F-9CAD-CC2941627616.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks