• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KS to the ba-da ba-da bing bang event !

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far so good!

This is the first real trip since I got my M925 onto 16's. I've taken a few little 40 mile trips to shake things loose and adjust the new seat and retorque lugnuts, but this is really first extended drive.

Driving about 200 miles each way. KS and NE back roads, speeds 50-60 with speed limits 50-65. The 16.00 AT3s make a huge difference. Its like a different truck!

55mph is 1600rpm. At this speed it's quiet enough to have a conversation in the cab. The ride is smooth, like 6 big marshmallows. It'll run just over 70mph, but the tires are rated to 55. 55 is comfortable, just loping along. Feels like 42mph on g177s. You guys know the sweet spot....

The speedometer is off by 24%. The bottom end power took a huge hit. There's no comparison between this and my M818 with 16''s and turbo. The M818 has a LOT more power.

But with judicious use of manual shifting you can generally compensate for it. For the hills, immediately downshift when you hit 1500rpm. There hasn't been any hills that I haven't maintained at least 50mph on, but then KS and NE are not known for being hilly.

The truck is just a joy to drive. I have the soft top on, and have it opened up and folded back the first 6 inches. It isn't flapping. I've decided the stitching coming loose across the front is a feature and not a bug - to allow for increased air circulation. (Janet says now that I have the top on that it no longer looks like it has been stolen and stripped)

The rear window stitching let go about 10 miles ago, all at once and with no warning. I'll restitch it with fishing line...

The MRAP seat on the 5ton springer base is ideal, although I'm looking out the very top of the windshield. You guys taller than 6,2" will want some other seat base. I have mine completely compressed and it's still almost too tall, but the mounting bracket i fabbed is taller than it could have been.

I brought along the bare essentials of breakdown equipment - wrenches, jack, jackstand, cribbing, lugwrench, towbars, chains, and air lines. Hoping not to need any, especially since my spare is in the front of the bed...

I'm dragging along the GETT trailer. It's towing dead level and behaving nicely. Backing that short trailer is nearly impossible. By the time you can see it, it's already so far out that it can't recover. I've solved this mostly by avoiding backing. When I have to back, I get out every few feet and walk back and look at it. I'm hoping to Shanghai a ground guide if any tight maneuvers are required at the event. Hey, I cheat! Only results count!

I'm stopped about 20 miles from destination, holed up in a super 8. There's some old tractors on display...

Some pictures - a couple of you have expressed interest.

ppppppfhdje.jpg

20180518_154619.jpg

20180518_154849.jpg

20180518_132635.jpg

20180518_154723.jpg

20180518_140731.jpg

20180518_154650.jpg

20180518_154958.jpg

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, looks fantastic! Much better now that it's not sitting on blocks.... :mrgreen:

What happened to the LWS?

Pics from today -
Hey!

No fair posting pics already.

I just got my weapons collection back in the vault and won't have time to post pics until tomorrow, but I do have 174 pics to choose from.

Great time at the Bing Bang Rally today and for you guys that don't know, 98G is a wonderful guy.

Thanks for coming to the Rally.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stayed in a motel last night instead of driving home. I just got home a little while ago.

I could have driven last night, but it would have been a chore. Driving today in contrast was enjoyable.

Pic of the boot I got at the event. Couple of pics from today's drive. I tried to wing it without GPS and wandered well off the beaten path....

20180520_085507.jpg

20180520_130006.jpg

20180520_130618.jpg

20180520_130851.jpg

71DeuceAK

98G, that truck is a thing of beauty. Right now I'd give anything for a long-distance trip riding shotgun in an M939 series truck. I remember you texting me about the seat install but then I've been out of cell service ever since. Glad to see you've got her up and out on the road, makes my heart sing seeing these trucks still used and loved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks