• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 info

Kaiser67M715

Just purchased an m105 trailer, initial inspection I didn't see the data plate, which of course has the VIN on it. Would the VIN be stamped anywhere else on the trailer?

I'm going to try and recover it tonight, it's in the back of the property in long grass, and the landing skid had broken so it's currently pintle down in the dirt. It doesn't seem to be in bad overall shape though.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Kaiser67M715

If you can't find a S/N to register it with try to get the DMV to VIN it as a home build.
I would need what is called a VIN verification form, basically have a certified guy(leo, dmv, inspection station) say no legible VIN, and get a new one issued. That would allow me to register it all right with no issues. Just paper work.

Kaiser67M715

So the plates were still intact, had to rewrite bill of sale, cause in NH can't get temp plates without a full bill of sale, or some pretty good pile of paperwork.

Reason I didn't see plates was it was buried in long grass. Pintle was buried in dirt, but surprisingly still rotated easy.

But some pics, decided to just trailer it instead of running back and forth to DMV. Plus wasn't sure on wheel hearings, brakes , etc. Didn't need something failing on way home (roughly 20 miles).

Pulled onto trailer really easy. I was afraid it would pull one way or other.

On a side note, that M135 in background may also join my collection.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pintle ring should not rotate.

Kaiser67M715

The pintle ring should not rotate.
It didn't feel loose, but did rotate around. What should I look at to make sure everything is OK? Is it simply just tightening the nut? I had read that many have issues with them not flipping when doing government auctions.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
If the lunette hitch rotates without pulling it forward out of its socket then something is probably wrong. It should be fixed once it's seated in the casting.
Trailer looks good!

Kaiser67M715

I'll have to do some research then. I don't know if I'll have it presentable in time for Weare, still need to order tires for my deuce and do some painting....just a few of many things in my to-do list.
If the lunette hitch rotates without pulling it forward out of its socket then something is probably wrong. It should be fixed once it's seated in the casting.
Trailer looks good!
Over all condition of trailer is very nice, a few of the edges have bondo shoved on them, but a majority of it seems to be more cosmetic then actual rust cancer. Of course I'll be fully inspecting brakes and replacing most of the wiring, plus all the rubber hoses.

My home computer keeps kicking me off the site, are there technical manuals for this trailer? If so I'll get to the public library tomorrow to print off a copy.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to do some research then. I don't know if I'll have it presentable in time for Weare, still need to order tires for my deuce and do some painting....just a few of many things in my to-do list.Over all condition of trailer is very nice, a few of the edges have bondo shoved on them, but a majority of it seems to be more cosmetic then actual rust cancer. Of course I'll be fully inspecting brakes and replacing most of the wiring, plus all the rubber hoses.

My home computer keeps kicking me off the site, are there technical manuals for this trailer? If so I'll get to the public library tomorrow to print off a copy.

Here is the link to the TM's

TM9-2330-213-14&P.pdf
TM9-2330-213-14&P Operators, Unit and direct support and maintenance manual M103-105-107 Incl. Parts.

Kaiser67M715

Some pictures, looks like there is an extra collar on the lunnette, that allows it to rotate. So should be an easy fix there. Thanks for the link to the manual, was very helpful.

There are dents all over, only 2 real concerning rust areas, and the tailgate is pretty beat. I figure on a complete rewire and brake overhaul as well.

Kaiser67M715

The threads on the lunette ring look totally gone. Looks scary to me
With the two silver washers the PO put on, the nut is right at the end, so you can't see the threads in the pictures. The nut itself is marked up, it looks like some one had a pipe wrench on it at some point.

Kaiser67M715

Oh ok I see. My nut was totally rusted off I had to buy a new one. Hate when that happens....
Yeah I'm going to have to get a new nut as well, the little turrets on the end the cotter pins go between are broken off in some places. But it's making a decent storage trailer right now, I don't figure on doing anything to it this year, next year for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks