• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PM fluid change out and coolant filter

Probably asked already, but I am still a newb and can't find the info. I am about to do my first PM and changing all the fluids. After reading a LOT of conflicting info, I have decided to go with Rotella T4 15w40 for the motor, Rotella SAE 50 for my tranny and transfer case, and Rotella 80w90 for the differentials and wanted feedback yay or nay. The question that I can't find answers for is this. I have read to put a non-detergent oil in the tranny.....why? Just spoke with Shell Corporation and they explained that it is yellow metal friendly and detergents were the norm for older vehicles. And looking for suggestions on how to flush the sludge out of the oil/transmission pans (without dropping them) and still be able to use the old fluids as fuel. Also changing out the coolant with Rotella ELC and considering installing a coolant filter.....again any feedback would be appreciated .

And as a side note, if you live in Central Texas the folks below sell Rotella product in bulk.

Hays City Corp
512-444-1941

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Use green coolant and distilled water with SCA additive. The multifuel was not built during a time of ELC. Plus 4gal of coolant and 4gal of distilled water with additive is under $70.

Flushing the motor by using just diesel as an oil replacement is fine for a few mins. Or a mix of oil/diesel. It will release stuff but may clog the pan screen. Dropping the pan is the best way to get everything out.

Non detergent oil.
https://www.fillingstation.com/articles/earlyengineoil.htm

Tranny flush
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=37357&share_fid=20191&share_type=t
Probably asked already, but I am still a newb and can't find the info. I am about to do my first PM and changing all the fluids. After reading a LOT of conflicting info, I have decided to go with Rotella T4 15w40 for the motor, Rotella SAE 50 for my tranny and transfer case, and Rotella 80w90 for the differentials and wanted feedback yay or nay. The question that I can't find answers for is this. I have read to put a non-detergent oil in the tranny.....why? Just spoke with Shell Corporation and they explained that it is yellow metal friendly and detergents were the norm for older vehicles. And looking for suggestions on how to flush the sludge out of the oil/transmission pans (without dropping them) and still be able to use the old fluids as fuel. Also changing out the coolant with Rotella ELC and considering installing a coolant filter.....again any feedback would be appreciated .

And as a side note, if you live in Central Texas the folks below sell Rotella product in bulk.

Hays City Corp
512-444-1941
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scrounger

For cleaning the transmission and transfer case just use Dexron III ATF. Just drain the fluid from the transmission and transfer case and refill with ATF. Put the transfer case in neutral, start the engine and allow it to idle for about an hour. Don’t drive it or put any load on the drive train. One can run through the gears on the transmission, but don’t drive it. Drain the ATF and refill with appropriate gear oil.

rustystud

I like your plan on using Rotella T products. As far as "cleaning" out the transmission goes, does it need it ? Is there lots of sludge up there ? If so then use the ATF idea of "Scrounger" . As far as cleaning out the engine goes "do not" use diesel fuel !!!
You can cause some serious damage to the cam and injection pump internals. Instead buy some engine oil additive like "Rislone" . Put it in before you drain your oil. If you cannot find Rislone there are plenty of other engine cleaners out there to choose from. Or even use ATF. We did that a lot back in the day.
Use a half and half mixture of engine oil and ATF. Run it for a while and drain.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What about tranny fluid......what would be optimum for the tranny/transfer case T1 SAE 50, or Shell Spiraxx 80w90? My Duece is as old as I am, and I am really trying my best for her to continue operating for many more years.
CSM Davis will tell you to KISS. Keep it simple stupid. The latest and greatest thing isn't always what is best for these old trucks. Why we have someone in the 5 ton forum running ELC rather than low gycol coolant and was dropping liners every few months. Not a problem with a deuce but you know what i mean. it has ran all these years on that old technology stuff. leave it be with what it had in it.

Last edited:

Scrounger

As Simp has said keep it simple. Coolant, use plain green stuff with SCA and check it every year for freeze point and acidity. Transmission 80W/90 GL1. The newer stuff isn’t always compatible with the old soft metals in the transmission. For ease of logistics use the same stuff in the transfer case and differentials. For engine oil Shell Rotella 15W-40.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Detergent oils are used when there is a filter in the oil system. The detergent will grab the dirt and carry it to the filter. You use non-detergent oil in areas with no filter like the trans. The dirt will fall to the bottom of the case where it belongs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks