• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gulf Coast Folks May Want To Order Fuel

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And so the fun begins again. Ive got a couple hundred gallons put up... might work through it with my truck and tractor through this year, to put up fresh fuel before winter.

csheath

Yep, just topped up my tractors and pumped the final 5 gallons out of my second can the other day.

As soon as I run enough fuel out of my backhoe I will pump the fuel from the generator into it and fill the generator with fresh.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm hurricane proof as I got my generator running again (wasn't during Harvey) and have about 300 gallons of fuel. That's enough of a ward to keep everything away for the entire season (unless the gennie goes down again and then one will hit).

csheath

I'm hurricane proof as I got my generator running again (wasn't during Harvey) and have about 300 gallons of fuel. That's enough of a ward to keep everything away for the entire season (unless the gennie goes down again and then one will hit).
That's what I thought when I got mine. Got hit by two the year I got it. Have logged 50 hours in a year and a half.

csheath

I'm doing it wrong paying for regular on-road diesel. Thanks, will look into that.
Its just a convenience for me. My cost often ends up costing about the same as on road at the pump. The main advantage to me is not having to carry cans. They come pump it in and I pump it out. No lifting.

csheath

How long can you keep treated diesel in a shed given the heat here in FL? I don't have other diesel equipment so my concern is getting stuck with a bunch of bad diesel.
I don't know. I think it's good for several years but I go through a couple hundred gallons a year. I treat mine with biocide and lubricity additives. My pickup tube is far enough off the bottom to leave 5 gallons so I can keep check for water. After each drum becomes empty from the pump, I use a smaller pump to remove the final 5 gallons and check to see if I have any water. So far I have had none. I have a filtered vent on the drums to allow for expansion and contraction. I thought that may increase my chances of condensation in the drums but so far it has not.

NormB

New 5 day forecast gives a 60% chance for development.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

I ordered a 100 gallons to be delivered tomorrow since I just emptied both of my drums.

View attachment 729215

Thanks for this post.

Not to hijack the thread, but I’m looking at options for fuel storage on my farm. 55 gal drums vs an upright 250-275 gallon heating fuel tank (stand taller but no deeper than the drum), bottom drain, gauge, more or less airtight too.

Suggestions - advantages, disadvantages - would be welcome.

And good luck prepping. I was in St. Pete in August ‘’85 for Elena, rooted right in down in Pinellas Point (refused to evacuate, stayed to chase looters away), rough ride.

Godspeed.

justacitizen

i have had excellent results with the NATO gerry cans. the fuel in them keeps and keeps without additive. they don't leak and are easy to fill and pour out of. you can even get an adapter so you can use them as an aux fuel tank.

csheath

Thanks for this post.

Not to hijack the thread, but I’m looking at options for fuel storage on my farm. 55 gal drums vs an upright 250-275 gallon heating fuel tank (stand taller but no deeper than the drum), bottom drain, gauge, more or less airtight too.

Suggestions - advantages, disadvantages - would be welcome.

And good luck prepping. I was in St. Pete in August ‘’85 for Elena, rooted right in down in Pinellas Point (refused to evacuate, stayed to chase looters away), rough ride.

Godspeed.
The main advantage to drums is availability and cost. I had a tank available but it looks like it has a galvanized coating inside. Wasn't wanting to put diesel in it. The operator manual for my tractor warns against storing diesel in a galvanized container.

I also have a lot of 5 gallon cans but I don't like lifting them.

The aux fuel adapter that comes with most of these will fit the jerry cans and a 55 gallon drum. Drum just uses the extended pickup tube. That is another advantage to the drums.

NormB

How long can you keep treated diesel in a shed given the heat here in FL? I don't have other diesel equipment so my concern is getting stuck with a bunch of bad diesel.
Neighbor of mine in Tennessee recently salvaged a hay harvester of some kind (I don’t know models/types) from where it had been abandoned in a field for about ten years. Had a tree growing up through part of it. He tinkered with the IP, cut down the sapling tree, turned the engine over by hand a few times, drained the fuel filter, and started it with fuel that had been sitting for ten years out doors. No cetane boost or anything. Wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it. Ran kind of ragged, but it ran. John Deere. Old fuel.

Worry more about water and a good biocide, I think.

Bmxenbrett

If you treat the fuel 5yrs is not a long time. You would want to keep it in the shade and rain off the barrel.

Heat prob isnt your worst enemy its large and fast temp change. This builds condensation inside a partly used drum and water is needed for algee.

If i didnt alreaty have a home heating oil tank in my basement i would be useing 25-55gal barrels stored in a shed. I should note that im not in FL or any major hurricane ally. Im in NY but we do have large trees, ice storms, large wind storms and the rare hurricane.

gatorbob

i have had excellent results with the NATO gerry cans. the fuel in them keeps and keeps without additive. they don't leak and are easy to fill and pour out of. you can even get an adapter so you can use them as an aux fuel tank.
Do you have a source for the adapter? I haven't been able to find anything that would allow the use of the bung adapter for the MEP or have the right fitting to attach the hose.

justacitizen

Do you have a source for the adapter? I haven't been able to find anything that would allow the use of the bung adapter for the MEP or have the right fitting to attach the hose.
http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-can-adapters-2-tube/

would have to adapt to your fuel pump but that should be easy. my self i just refill tank on genny with pour spout when i check the oil and coolant. my generators get shut down and checked at least every 24 hours but mostly every 12 hours.

csheath

Have you looked inside the door compartments? Most of the units I've seen had the bung adapter and hose in them. Mine was missing the tube so I just threaded a piece of 3/8" aluminum tube I had with a 1/4" NPT die. Screwed right into the bung adapter.

Come to think about it my hose was in the front door compartment and I found the bung adapter floating around in the bottom of the engine compartment.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks