• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New wannabe owner here

phoneman

Been checking out this site for awhile and decided to sign up. Always wanted a deuce though my buddies think I'm retarded. My dad and I had a m37 weapons carrier that we picked up years ago with intentiuons to fix up and never did. Dad finally let it go. Only current steel soldier so to speak that I have is a 1967 ford bronco. In 67 ford sent somewhere around 120 of them to the military to try. They never took off but from what ive read, they kept em in service as officer vehicles etc. I have the marti report on mine showing where it was sold to us govt but unfortunately someone removed the military tag so I'm not sure what branch it served in or where. When I sanded it down for paint I hoped maybe there would be some numbers on the door but those had been remove long ago. Fenders have been cut and it is somewhat modernized from what the military version would have been but its still a military one nonetheless . Anyway, I'm in SC, love the outdoors and piddling with old tractors, and trucks. Been trying to read up as much as I can on these things so I can get a good one someday. If any of you fellas are around the midlands of SC would love to ride sometime. Have plenty of dirt roads in the state forrest to go take a sun drive on.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Love the early Broncos and yes, the military did use quite a few. They would be bare bones, no power and no 302 etc. What color was yours originally?

phoneman

The last color i got to was a real dark green. Not an OD but dark. Mine is bare bones. Inline 6, no power steering or brakes. Ill get some pics uploaded. It brought both of my girls home from the hospital when they were born. As much as my oldest loves riding in daddys broncos she would love a military truck.

Flyingvan911

Deuces are great trucks. They are very useful. When you get one, your buddies won't think you're so crazy anymore. Download the TM's and ready through them. Research is your friend.

phoneman

Well I like simple stuff. Figure the old A2 would be perfect. No PS, 5 speed, from what I'm reading pretty easy to work on. Nothing against people that do, but I don't want to make one something its not. Only option I would think is maybe do those single wheel swaps. Buddy of mine that used to drive em in the army said that the single wheels made a world of difference off road etc. Those big ol Michelins and goodyears look pretty nasty too. I told him I wanted to show up to opening day duck season when all the idiots are trying to put their boats in the water with the deuce. lol Behind my office the power company has a few deuces and what I believe to be 5 tons sitting there. Makes the craving even worse to look at em every morning

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky. If you like simple, you'll love a M35. May just need to get a couple bigger tools. Best part is not having to set the spark plug gaps.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Bronco. That's my favorite body style.

Have you looked at the bobbed trucks (4x4) in deuce and 5 tons?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from central Illinois!! Nice looking "munchkin" in that Bronco! LOTS of good people here, TONS of great info!! I LOVE my deuce......can even carry 2x4's in it....lol.

Take your time, get what you want............winch? hardtop? heater?.....................This site has a TON to offer, dig in!

phoneman

Id like hard top and a heater. Winch would be a bonus. I really like the duals but think id like the 11.00 tires that arent the ND ones. So around my area ive seen a few in the 5500-7500 range. I honestly would like to buy one i could drive now. I restored that bronco before the kids came along and had lots more time. No problem with working on one, i just cant handle a full on redo. Found one at a place in indiana that redoes them. They look new from pics for around 13k. Id like to find one mechanically fit and i can paint or do little things later

phoneman

Welcome aboard from central Illinois!! Nice looking "munchkin" in that Bronco! LOTS of good people here, TONS of great info!! I LOVE my deuce......can even carry 2x4's in it....lol.

Take your time, get what you want............winch? hardtop? heater?.....................This site has a TON to offer, dig in!
i showed my 3 year old a few videos and asked her if she wanted dad to get one? This morning on the way to church we stopped and looked at an old junk logging one. She said, that deuce doesnt have the star on it. Lol. Cant get anything by her

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hiya phoneman, and welcome to the site. I don't much about South Carolina or what constitutes the mid-lands, but I'll be getting an education soon! My wife has accepted a job with your state and we will be relocating from here (Costa Rica) to somewhere, 30 minutes or less, outside Columbia. Right now we are checking places in Lexington and Chapin. I'll be looking to make some new friends and connections in the local OD world, and look forward to meeting you.

I have a pair of deuces up in New England. They both have winches, one is a hard top singled out with 1100 tires. the other is a soft top with dueled 900 NDT's. I'm currently advertising the soft top on Craigslist up in the Catskills of New York if you wanna go have a looksee. It needs a new coat of desert sand paint, but it's a reliable machine that gets frequent use.

Anyway, if you are still looking for a truck this fall, maybe we could create an adventure: recovery of deuces from New England to the south, in a convoy! Meanwhile, have fun and keep us informed of your passion! And one more thing: check the event calendar on this site for upcoming events in your area. You might find something interesting by attending some gatherings.

Rick

phoneman

There is lots to do if you like being outside. Columbia is kinda crowded but you are 2 hours from everything. Catch redfish at the beach or rainbows in the mountains. Lots of good fishing. Got some decent deer, lots of hogs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks