• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 Deuce, new owner - new member

KevinGaus

ADB41A8B-6B46-4193-98FC-EA47D3C8AD4B.jpg53689CDF-A7E0-4C42-9F94-433FE79383E7.jpgE78AAAAF-90DE-466E-B62F-C464122FACEA.jpg
Here’s a shot of that trouble making engine. The truck. And what 4 days of working out in the heat to getting her running has got her looking like. Note, she hasn’t moved. I anint no quitter. I will fix her.

rustystud

Oh yeah I’m in. Yes ain’t going anywhere. That could be considered a Deuce and a half pun. Cuz she ain’t going going anywhere. I’ve done mostly all I know what to do. See what’s up is I spent all my bubblegum money getting this truck. And Diving in any deeper for repairs is money. Call me sick, or mad. I’m in:
Thankfully most of the work needed on our Deuces doesn't cost much money, just a lot of "sweat equity" !

tommys2patrick

Welcome from Colorado! It certainly looks like she had been someones baby. I see a lot of work was done in the engine bay and the outside looks like new paint. try to just work on one thing at a time until it gets sorted out.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Central TX! From one new owner to another, Best of luck! This forum has answered a lot of questions for me and given me inspiration to boot. Download everything you think useful and read read read. Some of the old pros on here will go out of their way to help you with info is you come across the right ones.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love how these trucks, some over 50 years old just don't die and if they do its cheap and easy to fix them in most cases. The M35A2 is the best truck EVER made! I am proud to own one and willingly except the butt pain that is involved.

KevinGaus

I’m still figuring it out. Hope I’m doing it right. I’m just going to put my progress and Qs here. If that’s not what I should do by all mean tell me. Next step for me is tracing the gauges back for function. At this time I only have a tach, and speedo. No temp, air, oil, fuel, or voltage. I need to know what the engine it doing so I don’t mess anything up when test running. I’m sure I will need to get some new gauges. These are pretty ragged. While I’m there, I need to address the shifter. It swivels And is hard to get into the right gear position. I’m trying hard not to over clean, straighten, and dress everything up as I go. focusing only on the mechanics, and getting her to run true. 5F27D28B-474F-4A95-A7C4-E55B6B3C4133.jpg2D36F43D-B161-42B1-A6FD-8302212FD0CD.jpg

mcv1964

your looks like a dream in comparison to what I am working with! But mine is going to kind of be a frankenstein when I get it done. My long range goal it to stretch the fram and put a bud body on it from the cab back.

It will be a 1951 6x6 M135 school bus! I'm thinking maybe the first of it's kind.

People talk about trouble getting insurance on a MV (military vehicles) but I am really upping the annie and bucking the odds and going to add a school bus to the mix which insurance companies hate even more than MV's.

Oh it WILL be cool but I may never get to drive it on the streets....lol!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just incase your firing order plate was some how got put on wrong. You can see it says Fan so that faces the cooling fan and cylinder number two is right above the fuel inlet port. Also there is an arrow with name plate that points to the Ambac tag on the side of the Head.

Attachments

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you suspect a cylinder not firing you must find out. You could have trash blocking a port in the HH. You could have a injector not popping or even piston problems. You can use a screw driver or stethoscope and listen to each injector for uniform popping. You could feel or IR gun on the exhaust manifold. You could maybe see if there was to much blow by.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you planning to adjust the valves (there is a helpful drawing on this site so you only have to spin the engine twice), adjust the fuel and then check again re smoke? I also found that I could not hear the turbo well. Is it spinning?

KevinGaus

Yes. I’m checking the TMs, starting at number one. I will be adjusting the rockers before I run it anymore. Then figure out why I’m blowing unburnt fuel. With this other motor I can try different things until it’s running right.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you planning to adjust the valves (there is a helpful drawing on this site so you only have to spin the engine twice), adjust the fuel and then check again re smoke? I also found that I could not hear the turbo well. Is it spinning?
Second that, the turbo should be well defined spool up. C or D, you should hear the turbocharger .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks