• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 Deuce, new owner - new member

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What causes the valves to start clattering as the power drops off? Happens when I’m heading up a hill, or just driving in 3rd and 4th? I need to set the valves, and read I guess. That smoking ain’t gonna cut it.
Advanced timing or as you believe something is not correct with all cylinders or injection. That puts to much load on the engine and the valves are talking. If you have ever driven a farm tractor and put it in high gear when you take off the valves ping just as it starts to get going.
I would stop driving it till you get everything correct.

Last edited:

KevinGaus

Yes Sir. I am no longer test running the machine until I get at least the valve lash set. I purchased a running Hercules and I will start swapping parts back-and-forth until I have this thing sorted out. If I replace the injector pump how many gears and gizmos are going to come flying out of there when I take it off, and will I have to reset a particular marking to time it, installing the replacement? And Thank you for the help and advice. Keep it coming, I will put it to good use and appreciate it.EB0EF64A-9CA2-4A16-9EAB-2A47289C11E0.jpg

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interested in the domed shaped covers for the bridge plate numbers?
Is there any around.
They are all over eBay and any one of the 50 vendors for military truck parts. Not trying to be rude but I see them all the time when I am looking for other parts.

KevinGaus

What manner of lazy, no good, shortcut is this? I don’t know if I can just solder these back together. Or if these are special wires that need end from end continuity .F214A6FF-0BEF-4532-B038-14DCDF9A7E7C.jpg2FD28B73-B874-46C4-B8CE-EEC5D1DE35D3.jpg

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but considering their age I would just get a new one. At this point the insulation is starting to come off.
First thing I asked for in my rebuild was to inspect and replace the wiring, when its 50 years old it’s probably time for new wires and connections. Out of all the ways the M35 could kill me (split rims, break system, etc.) I would hate to go out to electrical fire.

KevinGaus

I had my daughter come out and do some wrenching on the truck with me. We pulled the injector head out, and found an extra retainer clip for the button down in the pump. I don’t know why was still running but it was. I’m hoping that could be the reason for all my issues. I have a match set of injectors getting worked over now. I will be glad to get them back in. Since I have the radiator out, I’m going to check valve lash anyway, and I think we might be on the homestretch to getting this thing down the road probably. A21C51EA-96DF-401E-B546-D2E50B6745FD.jpg

KevinGaus

754B0EDE-8E11-4B86-A7EC-E82E1CED830D.jpgCan someone tell me what the four bolt holes are used for? Is it an info plate, just a square piece of metal to reinforce ?
More importantly what am I missing to make this look a little better besides the obvious cap.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 732821Can someone tell me what the four bolt holes are used for? Is it an info plate, just a square piece of metal to reinforce ?
More importantly what am I missing to make this look a little better besides the obvious cap.
Looks like it was converted from the two prong style. That is a NATO slave port. It also looks like one of the ones you find under the curb side seat of a Humvee, Not the upgraded one for the M35A2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks