• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 Deuce, new owner - new member

KevinGaus

New member here. My name is Kevin. Thanks for letting me join up. learned quite a bit already, but have to admit, I’m going through it figuring out the sight works. I will get it. I recently bought a Deuce and am hoping some you been there done that guys can kindergarten me into fixing this truck up. I got questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

NormB

You got questions, we got answers.

Look into the deuce forum, download ALL the relevant manuals, READ the manuals (esp. portions pertaining to your question) and ask away.

Welcome to the madness.

Norm

jbayer

Do I post my questions in restoration ?
Welcome aboard.
If it's a general restoration question, then yes.
If it's a Deuce specific question, then the Deuce Forum.

Try to at least search your question first, if you can't find your specific answer, see if there's already a thread that has to do with it, and post your question there.

Jeff

Last edited:

King

Kevin, welcome! I once resided in Corinth, great place to live. Once you select the right forum to post your question, ensure to include as much information about which truck you have to avoid confusion, there are several versions. Pictures are highly desirable on this site, so the more information and pictures you provide the more likely you will have a good response to your question. Good Luck....

KevinGaus

Thanks. There’s just so much here. I don’t want to be that Guy that asked same question for the hundredth time.
But I hear it’s going to happen from time to time

KevinGaus

1968 Deuce

9DEBB14D-1496-4247-A24F-EF1119D457BE.jpg763F6872-4162-47BE-817E-D06491DB3715.jpg
So here’s how it went down.
“What’s with the truck?”
”what truck babe?”
I’ve been working on it. Got the lift pump running with a fuse, bypassed FDC. Replaced fuel lines, new fuel filters, and it still runs like I’m dumping dirt down three cylinders. Previous owner replaced the injector lines and the injectors. Because of the poor job done on the lines, makes me think they botched the seals smashing the injectors down in there .
I’m sifting through The TMs now but Geez to much information. Looking at the FDC somebody’s been in there monkeying around probably trying to turn up fuel 174BE763-F26F-4BE2-AA19-B088FCD5C8B7.jpg74F09076-9F4D-4827-8544-090D96C76670.jpg

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I crisscrossed a couple lines. I figured it out pretty quick though. Was replacing the injection pump and got a bit confused putting it all back together.

KevinGaus

I’ve cleaned the tank. Replaced the lift pump hose, got the lift pump cleaned and running. Checked the fuel line to the injector pump. Replaced the fuel filters. Bypassed the FDC, and replaced the fuel lines there. Deleted the fuel sprayer and sparkplug Above the turbo. Checked that the lines were spraying at the injectors, and I’m still not laughing.
She won’t cold start without either. Still white smoking unburnt fuel, and no way trustworthy. I’m starting to feel less smart. Anyone in or near the 75067 zip that knows their stuff and wants to lend me a hand?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from central Illinois! TM's are your friend. LOTS of great people here, TONS of good info. Sounds like you are improving your truck at a fairly rapid pace. Patience is a virtue, ya know? LOL Take your time, ENJOY what your doing. Having a friend help makes it all the better. I'm not great at the mystical "search" but, with multiple attempts, I find out the stuff I'm looking for usually. I don't find that this is a "race", it's a WONDERFUL adventure with a piece of living military history. Sorry if I wasn't much help. Life's WAY too short to skip the good stuff.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve cleaned the tank. Replaced the lift pump hose, got the lift pump cleaned and running. Checked the fuel line to the injector pump. Replaced the fuel filters. Bypassed the FDC, and replaced the fuel lines there. Deleted the fuel sprayer and sparkplug Above the turbo. Checked that the lines were spraying at the injectors, and I’m still not laughing.
She won’t cold start without either. Still white smoking unburnt fuel, and no way trustworthy. I’m starting to feel less smart. Anyone in or near the 75067 zip that knows their stuff and wants to lend me a hand?
It's a diesel and they need fuel, air and compression to run. That's it.

- you have fuel to the injectors. Good. Does the hydraulic head at the injection pump deliver fuel at the required pressure to the injectors and do the injectors actually open when they should? We don't know. The right way is to pull the injectors and have them pop tested. If they and the items below check out, the finger points to the hydraulic head.
- do you have sufficient compression? It would be worth the while to do both a compression and a leak down test. Leaking rings or valves make for hard cold starts and crappy running engines.
- check the timing of injection pump to engine and of hydraulic head to pump. If someone has been in there before, they could have messed it up.

mcv1964

Like someone else said "Welcome to the madness" .... but then again it could be "Welcome to the sickness" now I prefer "Welcome to the best addition anywhere around!"

KevinGaus

Oh yeah I’m in. Yes ain’t going anywhere. That could be considered a Deuce and a half pun. Cuz she ain’t going going anywhere. I’ve done mostly all I know what to do. See what’s up is I spent all my bubblegum money getting this truck. And Diving in any deeper for repairs is money. Call me sick, or mad. I’m in:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks