• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armored Cabs (LSAC / LTAS) For Sale

chadnick

Has anyone been able to get their hands on a Low Signature Armored Cab (LSAC) or a Long-Term Armor Strategy (LTAS) cab for their Stewart & Stevenson FMTV? Or maybe even the whole truck? Are they still too "new" for government auctions? Will we ever see them? Thanks for your input.

scottmandu

Has anyone been able to get their hands on a Low Signature Armored Cab (LSAC) or a Long-Term Armor Strategy (LTAS) cab for their Stewart & Stevenson FMTV? Or maybe even the whole truck? Are they still too "new" for government auctions? Will we ever see them? Thanks for your input.

All surplus armor is to be scrapped. The government sold 3 million pounds of new LSAC cabs a few years back and all were scrapped. One can buy a cab from Oshkosh for $25K but you will likely need another $100K in parts to get it to work, as there are substantial differences in the truck between the armored cabs and soft cabs.

There were a few cab shells that sold out of Sealy that pop up on Ebay every now and then.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About a year ago a new armored M1089 wrecker was for sale on eBay. The story was that it was built for Spain’s military but when their government bankrupt they couldn’t pay for it and it ended up on eBay. I saw the price around $75,000.00

Third From Texas

A buddy sent me a link the other day, but I got it too late to do anything with it.

Seems a certain Liquidation auction had what he thought were a couple LSACs in a lot of cabs (7) being sold as scrap. The auction ended, but he said the opening was $250 for all 7 cabs (many with interiors, a couple with AC, and at least one that was NOS). I just thought it interesting. Likely an opportunity missed. I hope whoever purchased the scrap finds a home for some of them.

Untitled01.jpg

Untitled02.jpg

coachgeo

A buddy sent me a link the other day, but I got it too late to do anything with it.

Seems a certain Liquidation auction had what he thought were a couple LSACs in a lot of cabs (7) being sold as scrap. The auction ended, but he said the opening was $250 for all 7 cabs (many with interiors, a couple with AC, and at least one that was NOS). I just thought it interesting. Likely an opportunity missed. I hope whoever purchased the scrap finds a home for some of them........
may be wrong but I suspect the auction winner had to sign to agree... and show proof.?? these are destroyed completely before scrapped for metal value.

I could be wayy wrong though

scottmandu

There are 3 LTAS cabs in the civilian market, but they are bare cabs. You can purchase a new cab from Oshkosh for about 25K, but you still need glass, seating door parts etc. I totalled all the items up and came up with about $58,000 worth of parts needed to have an LTAS cab.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with Scott that the armor has to be scrapped. My recollection is that it needs to be cut into pieces no larger than 18" x 18". However, the interior, electronics, door parts, etc. are non-controlled and unless the demil order states no parts recovery (some of them do), then the new owner of these can get a lot more for those parts than they could ever get for the scrap.

amcwill

An acquaintance of mine bought several A Kit and B Kit armored LTAS's that were acquired through a bankruptcy sale when Stewart Stevenson closed its doors in Sealy TX and the government production contracts were given to Oshkosh. They are badass. He has a few and I have been trying to buy one ever since.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks