• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulled over thread

MikesDeuce

Figured many of us have either A) been pulled over
B) haven’t yet.

I asked my MV mentor about this before I even bought mine... he said not to worry and all will be well...

Wellllll I got pulled over tonight just making a quick .5 mile run to get fuel and gummy bears for my daughter after being out of country for 2-3 weeks...

The officer (sheriff) didn’t even ask for my credentials and basically asked where I got it, how I got it registered and a few war stories .... he was a very awesome guy. Albeit, I live near ft benning so MV’s on the road are a daily part of life, maybe not mine cause it’s got a little tiny pink bow on the hood (for my daughter).

Thought I’d share my experience and I’m sure fellow drivers have some fun stories to share as well so post em up :)

In my experience(s), LEO’s love it because it’s a sign of someone “one their side”. If you don’t understand what I’m tambout then you must reread many deuce stories in Katrina and other crises-times. Heck, just pulling up to Walmart to get some grease, I’ve met the coolest of folks... this gentleman was defin a keeper.

Godspeed

CMPPhil

Curiousity Stops

Hi

In nearly 40 years of driving some odd MVs I have been actually stopped (flashing lights) a couple of times all stemming from the fact that my trucks are right hand drive, being Canadian Military Patterns from WWII. I have made it my practice to pulled over and stopped when a police car has followed me for more than 3-5 miles, I'll pick a safe spot for both of us and pull over, these all have been curiousity stops they usually lead to few minutes just talking about the trucks. This happens about once a year.

I make it a practice of giving the police a friendly wave when ever I meet them on the road. Which is almost always reciprecated with a wave back. Living in rural New Hampshire with driving distinctive MVs I have the advantage of being a familiar site to the police officers. Every time I need to check the acuracy of a speedometer on one of the truck I just swing by the town police station and ask when they are going to be out with radar, the result is generally oh I'll meet you on such and such straight road in half and hour.

Cheers Phil

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Leo's in Columbus are used to seeing military vehicles on the road and not just from Fort Benning. At one time we had about 25 Veterans/prior service folks and even active duty folks in a group called Columbus Antique Militaria Organization(CAMO) and did all kinds of displays, parades, air shows and other events.

Folks have been deployed, moved away, lost interest and even passed away leaving about 8 core members left and most of us are getting too "experienced":whistle: to do a whole lot anymore.

We still get together on Saturdays for breakfast and hang out for awhile and maybe even tinker with some MVs.

You should meet with us when you get a chance. If you're interested, PM me and I'll let you know when we are doing something or you can come to my place and just look around if ya want.:beer:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have had a few scold me about leaving my truck running when I go in places. They say a "carjacker" could just hop in. I just laugh. Heck there is not 10 people in a 150 mile radius that could drive the CAT 16 speed or figure out how to even operate it to be able to put it in gear to just drive off. Truck is scary enough just sitting in a lot, not to mention for someone to gutsy just jump into an unknown huge truck and drive off.

Heck if it was a deuce I would assure him that after a few minutes their arms and legs would be tired from shifting and turning so much. not to mention not a fast getaway.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Papabear, I’m still trying to figure how to Pm(using my phone) but I think I know how to find ya :)
Mike, I just sent you a PM with some contact info and my business address (that's where my vehicles are).

I'll be in NY City from May 30th until about 6 June.

You are welcome to come hang out whenever you get a chance.:beer:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been pulled over several times due to curiosity. The first time was the local County Sheriff who wanted me to promise him to loan him the truck if there was an emergency.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have NEVER showed a plate (it in the cab somewhere) when I drive a MV (a plate just does not look right on a MV.). This includes all my GL. recoveries, my 52m52 that I owned in CA., all my m819 driving, moving 1070s around, 819 recoveries, BART recoveries in FL. Swiss's trucks, ect., ect., I am going on about 25 years driving MVs without showing a plate and have NEVER BEEN STOPPED.

Now the rest of the story,

About 3 or 4 rallies ago, SWISS asked me about the not showing a plate thing, told him more or less what I said above, well you guessed it, Coming to the rally, Swiss in his 923 got stopped in Athens (I think) NO PLATE, by the time the LEOs was done with him (1 1/2 hr later) besides the local who did the stop, the state patrol, commercial enforcement, the DOT, and a few other agencies had also gotten involved. I understand that it was a REAL circus on the side of the road, all the LEOs vehicles had there lights on, a whole bunch of LEOs, ect. around a army truck made for a very interesting scene for drivers passing by. In the end Swiss got a ticket for NO plate and was a UNHAPPY camper when he got to the rally, now he has the plate on magnetic strips so he can put it on when he drives a MV, I still take it off when I drive his big trucks and have not been stopped, even now this me not getting stopped bits his A$$ and causes grumbling. :beer:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too, almost never run my plates and the local LEOs know this and don't care. However, I do have my plates on a magnetic holder designed for used car lots and I keep the plate in my truck. That way if I ever get stopped for no plate I can pull it out and my excuse will be that I forgot to put it on. All of the times I've been pulled over in the past I haven't had plates on and they didn't even mention it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess you have never been a victim of Police Brutality while alone.
:driver:rofl:jumpin::whistle:

I have on a dozen or so occasions been pulled over by CIVILIANS. Some simply waved me over. but others got to honking, waving, and gesturing as though both back axles had just fallen off the deuce.

Each of these instances was for a curiosity stop.... And, as a good ambassador for the MV Hobby I gladly complied.

There was one vet who had done this - former Army Transportation guy in Vietnam - who, with his son, I gave a ride to. After some good conversation I pulled over and let him drive it and relive some memories. He said it was good for him as most of his time in southeast Asia wasn't what he wanted to remember. But the driving these trucks part he loved. After dropping them back at his car he thrust a $50 bill into my hand and insisted that I keep the deuce and history running so it can be shared with others. I accepted those marching orders and hope to do so for a long time.

Carry on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks