• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Powering a dump bed with m925 hydraulics + adding auxiliary circuit

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the fifth wheel off my m923a2 to put on a 10yd Heil dump box. Finishing up a new subframe for it now, and am tackling the hydraulics next. From my m936 donor, I pulled the winch, controls, and transmission PTO which are all mounted up now. What I would like to do (if possible) is use that PTO and controls to also power / control the dump bed, along with adding an additional hydraulic circuit to power tools like a hydraulic jack hammer, or post setter.

Is there a slick way to do this?

The dump bed subframe already has a hyd. tank built in and a control valve for the cylinder.

IMG_1762 (1).jpgIMG_2149.jpgIMG_2190.jpgIMG_2194.jpg

Was in a pinch and have been using the truck without the dump ram, using the 936 crane to tip the box. Ready for this thing to dump under its own power!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You just use a selector valve to send fluid to whatever side you want to operate after your pump. Pull the handle in the cab for bed. Push the handle in for winch flow

Or get a two or three way valve. Each handle has it's own operation

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tobyS

You need to know if they are both open center valves. Like Wes said you need a two position, 2 circuit selector valve. If the bed valve is a closed center, then use the valve from the 936 and put the selector valve after the main valve (that came with the PTO)(it is open center). That eliminates the one with the bed and would go direct to your cylinder.

Is it a push only type extension cylinder? Does it have a pilot check at the base of the extension cylinder?

If they are both open center, the selector valve goes after the pump but before either valve (both are used).

You just use a selector valve to send fluid to whatever side you want to operate after your pump. Pull the handle in the cab for bed. Push the handle in for winch flow

Or get a two or three way valve. Each handle has it's own operation

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I did that at first it works for a cheap solution. I ended up putting a 3 spool control valve with power beyond on and plumbing the pump to it first and then to my winch valve. Everything works mint np stopping and switching and the 3 spool is set to a different relief pressure with it's own return to the tank. The winch relief stays the same that way. It allows for much better flow that way to. The selector valves are restrictive. Another suggestion is to find a way to vent the tank.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

tobyS

Also the winch valve doesn't hold in neutral so as soon as you quit lifting it will come right back down.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
That needs a pilot operated check valve....same as the ones at the bottoms of cranes and some dumping cylinders. It takes pressure on the reverse to open it.

This winch is a crane winch and locks the load, so it takes reverse pressure to move. The brake only locks in the pull direction....has a one way clutch inside.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks