• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery charging

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you looking at a charger to plug in, or a maintenance solar unit? Are you charging one at a time, or both batteries?

Chainbreaker

Are you talking about charging/maintaining your gensets batteries while unit is offline and not running? If so, you can use a 24V charger/maintainer for the two 12V batteries connected in series (24V configuration). Or, you can use two 12V charger/maintainers connected to each battery. I prefer to use two 12V charger/maintainers so that each battery is measured and charged independently so it gets exactly what it needs. If one battery were older or had a marginal cell it may required additional charging whereas the other battery might not. I think of a 24V charger as averaging the required charge between both batteries when connected in series.

Also, when using two 12V charger/maintainers it is not required to disconnect the battery leads (they can remain connected in series). The battery charger/maintainer only sees what is connected between its two +/- charging leads.

Obviously, for any genset model that utilizes a single 24V battery you must then use a 24V charger.

Last edited:
Are you talking about charging/maintaining your gensets batteries while unit is offline and not running? If so, you can use a 24V charger/maintainer for the two 12V batteries connected in series (24V configuration). Or, you can use two 12V charger/maintainers connected to each battery. I prefer to use two 12V charger/maintainers so that each battery is measured and charged independently so it gets exactly what it needs. If one battery were older or had a marginal cell it may required additional charging whereas the other battery might not. I think of a 24V charger as averaging the required charge between both batteries when connected in series.

Also, when using two 12V charger/maintainers it is not required to disconnect the battery leads (they can remain connected in series). The battery charger/maintainer only sees what is connected between its two +/- charging leads.

Obviously, for any genset model that utilizes a single 24V battery you must then use a 24V charger.
I actually went with a 24 V charger when I asked that question I was having a brain fart I left the terminals on and I connected the charger on to the correct terminals
Here is a pic

I use that really sticky 3M double-sided tape maybe not the best idea but I didn’t want to drill anything inside the generator housing did not want to cause any metal filings to scatter and I’ve seen this red 3M tape literally hold up curtain walls and big buildings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks