• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much power to get my 88 humvee moving.

james riseborough

I am building a 1988 HUMVEE slant back. I have installed a 6.5 TD with the 480 4 speed trans and military 37" on the 16.5 rims. The trans computer is a US Shift unit and is hooked up correctly (as far as I can tall and having discussions with their tech team) When I put it in Drive and give it gas I need to get on it to get it rolling. It has shifted into second but I have not taken it over that. I have even removed the shifter unit and put it manually in gear to make sure it is in drive. The transmission was recently rebuilt as was the motor. Do these military HUMVEE's really take that much power to get them started or should I keep looking... I have built trucks, cars and bikes and have never run across something like this. Thanks for any help. James

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Sounds like your computer is not working, and the 4L80E is starting in safe mode 2nd gear.

dhaumann69166

Just out of curiosity have you triple checked your tranny fluid? Sounds almost like it’s a touch low on fluid. Freshly rebuilt tranny’s sometimes take a little while to get all the air out of the torque converter, tranny cooler and lines. Most likely not your problem but definitely worth getting it warmed up and trying to drive it around a little and then check fluid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks