• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 starter problem????

Brad

Went to start the truck today to clean it up for tomorrows Memorial Day Parade and it will not start?
The starter just seems to grind like it's not kicking in. It had done this a few times over the years but always did engage and start right up before.
But, before I jump the gun and tear off the starter, could this be a low battery? Maybe not enough juice to throw the Bendix and engage it??
What a shame, miss the parade that is really the only reason we keep this truck running with insurance and plates.

SturmTyger380

Does your truck still have the lever you pull back on to make the starter work?

On my M211 that lever pushes the rods underneath the cab to make the bendex go out to the ring gear. Then it also pushes on the switch for the power.

Is your linkage from the lever free?

Brad

I took the starter off hit me in the face. I took the starter apart and th this afternoon and as I was doing it a little roller bearing actually fell and it is pretty well worn out, the Bendix part. I think that's what it is called the gear part and a bearing that zips out and engages the flywheel.
So now I need to get a starter. This one does not have the manual linkage. I am thinking it is a standard GMC type starter like was used for years so I hope I can find one local?
And suggestions would be appreciated???

Brad

Thanks all, been tied up with family emergency but all is ok for now.
During all that I remembered a local business that rebuilds starters and such.
Got it done for undar $90 which surprised me.
I am heading out the door now to install it.
Thanks ag

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks