• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802A Fix-up Thread

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Been a while since I posted!

Didn't do a whole lot but did tweak some stuff.

Added some washers under the fuel storage tank. When running under load, it would vibrate a bit & was hitting the mounting rail of the trailer. Was pretty loud. Raising it up the 3/8 inch remedied that.

Put some bigger, screw type hose clamps on the fuel lines going to the injection pumps. Even though I had them mostly good, they still seeped a bit. With the better clamps, they could be squeezed tighter. Only ran it for a bit afterwards but it seemed good. I think since the hose I got was SAE & the OEM hose is metric, the slightly bigger size coupled with the expansion of the hose when it gets hot made it a little looser than it should have been.

I decided to go with sand & painted most of the trailer already.

Greased up all the shackle fittings.

Added a neutral to ground link that goes through a 30amp switch inside the power box. Then, ran a wire from the ground to a grounding lug that the rod & cable can be connected to if needed.

Since the kickstand in the back was to long now with the smaller wheels & tires, I cut it down & welded on a piece of angle iron. Don't make fun of my welds... I'm by no means a welder. I only have a $70 Harbor Freight welder too! But, it works great now. That kickstand really reduces the vibration noises.

I haven't really been out to my off grid place to run it hard again. I plan to run the house with it this weekend for 12 hours or so just to see how it goes.

Will upload some pictures when I am home this evening. Really happy with this project even though it has been a lot of work. It's gotten to the point where I should be able to just use it & not work on it... besides the regular service.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Our area requested "reduced power usage" since I guess Texas hit a record for power consumption Tuesday. Great excuse to start up & hook up the generator! Going to let it run the house over night.

Also going to be going out to my off grid place tomorrow for 2 1/2 days. Will be running the whole time out there as well.

Hopefully the tow with the new trailer, the new tank, & the generator all are trouble free. First time really using it since I have moved it to the trailer & did some other improvements.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Got back this afternoon. Ran pretty good! Put about 45 hours on... just about all non-stop.

Got my dyed fuel permit & filled up the new tank. Worked like a charm! I think I'm going to add a netter vent for the tank so it doesn't build up pressure with the heat. Noticed it had leaked a bit & when I opened the cap, a big whoosh came out.
Had a few minor issues with the trailer. Should be easy fixes.

Didn't think to much about it but my cord being left to touch the back of the trailer wasn't good... wore through the insulation a bit. Thinking I may put a sleeve of sorts on the first few feet of the cord to avoid this because it will be hard to not have it touch the trailer edge.
Noticed an oil leak. Landing by the engine mount that is near the oil filter side by the radiator. Can't tell exactly where it's coming from. Doesn't seem to be very serious but will figure it out and fix it. Have a few ideas on what it might be but we got some much needed rain right after I got home so it will be messed with sometime this week. Seems to be from the large hex screw in the block or seeping from the injection pumps.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Here is a picture of the 30A switch I added for the neutral & ground bond if it is needed. Just need to run a wire out to the grounding stud now.
69779475_598204900584084_5599235549673029632_n.jpg

I changed out the plastic covers to metal on the outlets. Plastic already broke a little & rattled a lot while it was running.

70407774_2364593077116709_4164099204404215808_n.jpg

Started looking for the point of the oil leak. Almost certain it is from the fuel injection pumps. I have messed with them many times & am wondering if a small amount of something got under the shims. Going to do it all one more time & make sure it's cleaned up real nice, than change the oil. It's due anyways... been about a year.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Mounted the grounding stud that I ordered & ran a wire from the ground on the output cabinet to it.

69982439_2255675624722505_7752726194767790080_n.jpg

Last thing I want to do is get a fitted tarp for storage.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I’m also looking for a tarp for the 802

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't dug in deep looking, but I found a place to get a custom made tarp. Was thinking of just going the route.

EDIT: I am going to have these covers available from now on.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Mounted the grounding stud that I ordered & ran a wire from the ground on the output cabinet to it.

View attachment 776541

Last thing I want to do is get a fitted tarp for storage.
Suggestion. Run the cable under the fender. That's what we did, and you don't trip over the wire in the dark. We mounted a few cheap cable loops on the under side to keep the wire up, and not snag or hang down.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Suggestion. Run the cable under the fender. That's what we did, and you don't trip over the wire in the dark. We mounted a few cheap cable loops on the under side to keep the wire up, and not snag or hang down.
That was my first thought & a good idea but with how I use my trailer, I didn't think it would be the best option.

A lot of the miles I drive with it a true off-road. Lots of mud, rocks, & tall brush. I was worried even if it's secured well that a twig or something would grab it & rip it off. Or, wear down the insulation. Probably over worried about it but I have had it happen on my truck a few times with wires I had run.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I changed the oil & loosened the fuel injection pumps again. Made sure they were clean under the shims & what not. Torqued them back up. Ran for a little while & did see oil come back out but I'll need to run it under load for a long while to see if it really did the trick.

Got an expandable plug to replace the coolant overflow bottle cap that kept leaking. A bit more of a PITA to remove but it should seal better. Got sick of the slight puddle of coolant after a long run time.

When I have a day under 90 deg, I'm going to put a few more coats of paint on the trailer. I have put one on it so far. Not super pretty but at least it all matches now!

Replaced the LED bulb that goes in the Combat Short indicator. I removed it quickly to try in my MEP-831A that was missing one & didn't know the LED's in this unit required a resistor & it burnt out.
Here is a link in case anyone else needs one. They have multiple colors.
https://www.aero-lites.com/product-p...e-327-24-28vdc

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Tinkered a bit today. Taking the trailer to have an adjustable channel put up front so the trailer can ride level.

Replaced the constantly leaking cap on the coolant overflow with a plug.

Found a sturdy place for some extra oil, coolant, & rags.

70996965_387524705278374_2347198609356750848_n.jpg70920644_2972416929441428_8340248317514481664_n.jpg71511428_1291512704363720_4559068172220628992_n.jpg

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know what a good replacement radiator overflow bottle is? Or have a NOS for sale 802A? Mine is broken on top.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone in E-pay has more then 10 overflow bottle caps for sale.
Its not the bottle cap it's the piece the top hose fits on that is broken off so hense I need a new bottle

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SamE0717

did the search engine thing, got the usual 113,405 or so return hits on several different combinations of insulation, 803a insulation, MEP-803a insulation, sound proofing, etc.The insulation inside the cooling exhaust section of the genset is really broken down on mine.I've sourced the ratchet rivets (Fastex part# 236-17406-04-01-01), waiting to hear back from distributors.The "sound controlling blanket" NSN 5640-01-386-9618, plastic urethane foam 1" thick, 24" by 54" is interestingly absent from any searches I can find on this site except for two hits that are pages from the #-641/642-24P manuals but nothing about replacing the stuff that I can find in under an hour or so poking around.Anyone else replace theirs? What did you use? Did you reuse the fasteners? Substitute something else?Thinking about a big piece of FATMAT hood liner at 3/4" with some 80 mil NOICO material underneath.Thanks in advance.Norm
View attachment 743131

Yep.

Sides and rear (fuel tank end).
Part #23 (manual is 642-24P)
Did you ever complete your insulation replacement around the side / rear (fuel tank end) ? What did you end up using ? I'm thinking I need to do the same thing with my 803A

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Did you ever complete your insulation replacement around the side / rear (fuel tank end) ? What did you end up using ? I'm thinking I need to do the same thing with my 803A
You might have me mixed up with someone else... I wasn't really looking for the insulation. I probably should, but I haven't.

SamE0717

You might have me mixed up with someone else... I wasn't really looking for the insulation. I probably should, but I haven't.
Maybe I screwed up the quoting but I was trying to ask @NormB ... way earlier in this thread, like on Page 6. NormB had a couple posts about working on redoing his insulation and I was curious for a followup on how it turned out and what materials he used, I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 803A.

SamE0717

Maybe screwed up my quote, new poster, but I was attempting to reference NormB from much earlier in this thread, Page 6, where he talks about insulation replacement for a couple posts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks