• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802A Fix-up Thread

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Everyone,

New member here. Finally got myself an MEP 802A for use at my off grid place & as backup at home.

Going to document what I do to it here. I have $200 in parts on order for repairs. Going to do some step-by-step videos & upload to YouTube that I will share here for the community.

I've been reading the site for a while & figured I'd join. Good information.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Welcome, you've found THE best place for info & help with gennys. Post some pics for us, may give you a few suggestions.
I plan to take some. It's a unit reset in 2006. Purchased from a retired couple that got it in preparation for hurricanes but got way more than expected.

Demoh

Welcome to SS! Good choice going 802... an underrated gem.
Agreed, I run 802 as my primary backup source even though I have a handful of 803s. my 3ton ac and heatpump water heater have no problem with it. Last weekend did a nice run on it, 5 hours @5kw then 1hr@6kw no issues.

There are a few threads that list all the manuals, fluids/filters, etc that would be helpful.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Agreed, I run 802 as my primary backup source even though I have a handful of 803s. my 3ton ac and heatpump water heater have no problem with it. Last weekend did a nice run on it, 5 hours @5kw then 1hr@6kw no issues.

There are a few threads that list all the manuals, fluids/filters, etc that would be helpful.
I have been spying those threads for a while. :) Joined to share my step-by-step videos. First ones should be up by tomorrow.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
What kind of parts and repairs did it need?
Fuel level sending unit, top fuel tank well nut, & the double float switch for the auxiliary fuel pump & low level shut off.

I thought I was also going to need to do a thermostat, but that wasn't the case..... the coolant was a bit low & I think a large air bubble was in there. Topped it off, shook my trailer & it burped.... added more. No more high temp shutdown.

Last edited:

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I received my auxiliary fuel hose yesterday. Got one new for under $50. Going to add a pickup line to the 50 gallon fuel tank on my truck so when I bring it out to my off-grid place, I can hook into that fuel source & run for days & not worry.

The auxiliary fuel setup is easy to use, but I may make a video on it as well. Before I got mine, I searched & didn't find much on it.

I also ordered a few things for mounting it to an aluminum trailer that I picked up. Once I start on that, I will share as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks