• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802A Fix-up Thread

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
An open stator winding would read infinite ohms in a pair of it were burned open and much lower if it were shorted.

Don't forget, the readings in that table are "temperature" dependent, they are not cut and dried for all conditions.

You might try pulling off the stator cover end and look at the visible windings for any indication of over heating.

I found indications of overhearing in one of my sets and am in the process of changing the stator.
I knew about the temperature formula & tried to use it but my temp was less than 10deg from the 77deg in the TM. I think my high readings were just from my meters not being super high end.

I did check the stator & that's how I found the broken wire. It looked very clean.

57133833_2237156473212450_795178680497209344_n.jpg

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Why buy battery hold downs? What you have works and dosn't look bad. Maybe shorten up the J-bolts a bit, but other then that, it's good to good! That's money saved for important things like beer! Gas for the bike!

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Why buy battery hold downs? What you have works and dosn't look bad. Maybe shorten up the J-bolts a bit, but other then that, it's good to good! That's money saved for important things like beer! Gas for the bike!
Yea, I'm actually happy with the hold downs that I made just not sure how long they'll hold up. Yes, trimming them down is a must but I just wanted to get it all together for testing!

Chainbreaker

I noticed in your post #99 in the second picture with battery you have a bag of moth balls in place. I recently learned that trick from my Electric Gate Contractor. He said he always puts a bag in with every gate controller electronics box. Said it keeps the bugs, etc. out. Said that he has had to replace controller boards where spiders built webs and when the webs got wet due to condensation/dew they would short out sensitive electronics.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I noticed in your post #99 in the second picture with battery you have a bag of moth balls in place. I recently learned that trick from my Electric Gate Contractor. He said he always puts a bag in with every gate controller electronics box. Said it keeps the bugs, etc. out. Said that he has had to replace controller boards where spiders built webs and when the webs got wet due to condensation/dew they would short out sensitive electronics.
Yes, it definitely helps. They also help keep snakes out... they don't like the smell. Copperheads & Rattlesnakes are all over my area. For the few bucks it costs, I always put a bag in anything that is enclosed to help. Certainly can't hurt!

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
So, stupid me made a big goof tonight....

Long story short, I thought the mechanical fuel pumps were injectors. Started removing them to put new crush washers in since I thought that's why they were leaking. Well, after them not coming out, I stepped back & looked... realizing the complete idiot mistake I made.

Went to the TM for the engine (TM 9-2815-252-24, Section 3-13), & one of the first things is CAUTION! To retain governor setting leave one fuel pump in position.

I have already taken the clamps off each pump so they're loose but haven't removed them.

Am I screwed here? Or can I just clamp them back down in their proper positions?

I didn't force anything once I saw that they wouldn't just come out easily.

I'm worried because I made the mistake on a smaller diesel (MEP 502A Yanmar engine) of not getting the fuel pump on the governor correctly & the engine ran away. Luckily, I just stomped on the decompression lever so that it stopped firing. No way to do that with the LPW2!

I'm not doing anything until I hear from someone who knows what to do. I don't want to have this thing run away & blow up in my garage.

Thank you all in advance, as always!

EDIT: Wanted to add this picture. This is where I was at when I made this post.
59659012_452580538847823_1516692366856028160_n.jpg

Last edited:

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
My next question since I can't seem to find it in any TM... why would they leak? In the diagram, I'm not seeing any sort of washer or gasket... just the shims.

The fuel was seeping out from the area right above the shims where it meets the pump.

Just needed to be tightened down a bit more maybe?

EDIT: Found this thread on here;
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145515-MEP-802A-Injection-Pump-issue

Still really doesn't answer my question about why it may be leaking but has a lot of information on the injection pumps for others that may end up here in the future.

2ND EDIT: After an hour on the Google, I found Lister Petter part number 751-12842. It's an injection pump gasket. Might be the issue. The gasket isn't shown on figure 4 of the TM Eng9-2815-252-24P, page 12 on the .pdf file. Could this effect the fuel injection? I know the shims are critical to timing. I'd think a gasket could mess this up?

Last edited:

Ray70

There aren't any "gaskets" between the pump and the engine block, only the shims. But... either way, there is only engine oil present in that area, not fuel.
If you're leaking fuel over there it's gotta be either the supply line, injector line or the lift pump itself. There's no physical way to leak fuel from between the lift pumps and the engine block.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
There aren't any "gaskets" between the pump and the engine block, only the shims. But... either way, there is only engine oil present in that area, not fuel.
If you're leaking fuel over there it's gotta be either the supply line, injector line or the lift pump itself. There's no physical way to leak fuel from between the lift pumps and the engine block.
Great points. I actually randomly thought of this when I was driving at work today... it would be an oil leak.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Well, I guess with where I'm at, I need to just put it back together & run it again... keeping a real close eye on exactly where the leak is coming from.

Part of me is hoping that that I put it all back together and the leak just stops!

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
So, put everything back together as the TM said too. Pulled it out of the garage to start it up & it shut down with a low oil pressure light...

60000401_2245185129078075_4090828647177388032_n.jpg

I forgot to put the oil pressure line back on that I had taken off just to give more access to the injection pumps. How fun! Tried to start it 3 times.

The good news is that the cut off switch works & the injection pumps are still in the rail properly. Would have been extra bad if it ran away spraying oil out....

If I take the batteries out & cover the alternators, would it be okay to soak the engine with a cleaner & then rinse?

I'm a bit worried about a fire if I don't clean the oil off good.

jamawieb

So, put everything back together as the TM said too. Pulled it out of the garage to start it up & it shut down with a low oil pressure light...

View attachment 764450

I forgot to put the oil pressure line back on that I had taken off just to give more access to the injection pumps. How fun! Tried to start it 3 times.

The good news is that the cut off switch works & the injection pumps are still in the rail properly. Would have been extra bad if it ran away spraying oil out....

If I take the batteries out & cover the alternators, would it be okay to soak the engine with a cleaner & then rinse?

I'm a bit worried about a fire if I don't clean the oil off good.
It will be fine to pressure wash with everything in place. After I'm done servicing new to me units, I pressure wash without covering anything. Just make sure you don't spray directly in the generator head or alternator. Also be careful with the fuel return lines, the pressure washer will cut right through them.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
It will be fine to pressure wash with everything in place. After I'm done servicing new to me units, I pressure wash without covering anything. Just make sure you don't spray directly in the generator head or alternator. Also be careful with the fuel return lines, the pressure washer will cut right through them.
Okay, sounds good. Do you use anything like a degreaser or engine cleaner? I'd guess power washing won't really get all the oil off. Was thinking of getting some engine cleaner & spraying it all, let it sit for the recomended amount of time, then a good rinse. Maybe a few times. I do have a power washer. Good to know I can clean it up with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks