Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: MEP 802A Fix-up Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,598 Times in 695 Posts

Howdy,

Go to this thread.

Read the 2nd post quick links.

Once done, you will be up to speed with lots of info.

MEP-802A MEP-803A Filters and Parts
    ~~Later Mike

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daybreak For This Useful Post:

mousegun (04-02-2019)

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    Howdy,

Go to this thread.

Read the 2nd post quick links.

Once done, you will be up to speed with lots of info.

MEP-802A MEP-803A Filters and Parts
    I did & ordered all my filters off that before I even had the generator at my house.

Colonel
    Thanks

Ran for 3.5 hours @ 100%. Cleaned off some of the crap built up over the years. Tested the auxiliary pump & it works great. Now to get a hookup to the house & really stretch it legs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,598 Times in 695 Posts

Howdy,

The 2nd post has links to stuff like the Infamous well nut, and Ultimate well nut, a fuel return lines...
    ~~Later Mike

Colonel
    Thanks

Well, it's been a while. I broke my foot & wasn't able to do much. Got the generator mounted onto a trailer. Not as good as the military trailer they should be on but I got it for only $400. Painted it all sand. Going to do a few more coats. I wired in & put 7 outlets on the side of the generator. 240v twist lock & 6 125v outlets. Put a generator interlock on my house & ran everything on a 104 deg day for 5 hours or so. Can't run the whole house, but the important stuff can be left on without worry over overload. A few days ago, got the trailer tags as a custom trailer so it's serviceable!

Plan to make the gap to the rear an under deck storage area for generator cables, minor tools, extra fluids, etc. Tread plate on top with a handle that opens from the rear. Also plan to mount some 40mm ammo cans up front & maybe a jerry can holder for my Sceptor MFC's. Spare tire mount will go somewhere as well.

Picked up an auxiliary fuel hose from eBay for ~$40. Put a fitting on my truck's 45 gallon bed tank to run off of when at my off grid place.

If I can find a way to do it without major work, I'm going to put 4 jacks to level it & get the tires off the ground when it's needed.
    KIMG1064.jpg
    Last edited by CallMeColt; 08-05-2018 at 17:52.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CallMeColt For This Useful Post:

69birdman (08-05-2018), Light in the Dark (08-05-2018), uniquify (08-07-2018)

4 Star General Light in the Dark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 669 Posts

Looks good from here

Thanks

Nice trailer, looks plenty heavy enough for your plans. My little cheapo trailer is about maxed out with my 803a.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69birdman View Post
    Nice trailer, looks plenty heavy enough for your plans. My little cheapo trailer is about maxed out with my 803a.
    It get's the job done!

There originally was a 20KW generator on this trailer that was taken off. It's a 3,500 lbs axle so I'm good to go.

Colonel
    Thanks

I'm also kicking myself in the butt.... 2 weeks ago I could have gotten an running, but in rough shape, 802A mounted on the proper trailer for $500. Doubt I'll ever get that opportunity again. I made the mistake of bringing the wife & she wasn't having it. She's usually okay with my projects but this one she said no too. Gotta let her have a win every once in a while. Figured it could have been a great parts machine & I could have gotten the proper trailer. Oh well!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CallMeColt For This Useful Post:

69birdman (08-09-2018)

Colonel
    Thanks

Wanted to share an update. Used it at my off grid place last weekend. 8 hour round trip towing. Ran into some issues out there.

No Fuel shutoff issue popped up again at 0330.... had to take the panel off & unplug the float switch. The new gaskets & well nut I put on the top of the tank started leaking. Then at 1030, it stalled out.... no fuel in the tank. Found the fuel return line came off & the radiator fan spread it all around the inside for me! Lovely! Got that put back on & besides a mess, it kept chugging along for another 24 hours. I had a friends friend weld some diamond plate onto the trailer for areas to stand. Some welds broke making some wonderful vibration noise! As I was packing up, I noticed another fuel leak running down the side of the engine block. Not exactly sure where it was from. Lastly, the frequency gauge started bouncing around.

I decided I was going to just remove all the covers & replace all fuel return lines, clean it up, etc. Ended up completely removing the fuel tank. Ordered the better parts for the 2 well nuts. Ordered the proper NSN 3 pack of fuel sender gaskets. Got 15ft of fuel return lines & the tees.

Came out the next day to find a little coolant where the low part of the fuel tank goes. Appears as if the radiator has a leak.... great. Started the process of removing it. I did find that an information plate of some type was left in the fan shroud area that must have hit the fan & bounced around. My best guess is the leak is from that. Also finding that whoever worked on this unit last used whatever hardware they had & some of the captive nuts are stripped. Also noticing that some parts are missing like the battery tie downs, guards, etc.

Really, really wish I just got the $500 parts machine. Would have been worth it for just the radiator, not to mention the trailer. I was only able to find one new radiator for $350, but it's not an exact bolt on as Lister Petter has so many variants of the LPW2. I'd have to fabricate proper mounting brackets.

Oh, & before I even went on the trip, one of my electrical plug boxes had the tabs snap off so it was hanging...

Wish me luck everyone! Looks as if I purchased my unit at a high price that came with the bonus of being a money pit! I'm sort of at that point of no return though.... just need to fix it 100%. In to deep to walk away.
    Last edited by CallMeColt; 09-09-2018 at 10:41. Reason: Grammar errors

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast