• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915 series, pictures of your toys

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, is that an A2? What is the top speed you are able to achieve? I have heard they are not able to keep pace with an M915 w/ the 16 speed Cat.
Yea A 2 and won't keep up Cat and it's over drive. Top speed just about 62 at 2100 rpm because of the 4.56 gearing 11R24.5 tires. Pulls the hills real well and I just drive 55. I thought about a gear change but since I don't drive it much I will just pay the extra fuel. I much rather have the Allison seven speed over the Cat but that is a computer controlled transmission. Mine is the HT740 non computerized which is fine with me.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea A 2 and won't keep up Cat and it's over drive. Top speed just about 62 at 2100 rpm because of the 4.56 gearing 11R24.5 tires. Pulls the hills real well and I just drive 55. I thought about a gear change but since I don't drive it much I will just pay the extra fuel. I much rather have the Allison seven speed over the Cat but that is a computer controlled transmission. Mine is the HT740 non computerized which is fine with me.
That is what I was afraid of. I looked into an M915A2 but did not think it could mange the speed the M915 w/7155 Cat managed. Any idea if the M915A4s are any better? Do those still have the HT740 (4 speed?) or do they have the Allison 7 Speed?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe the seven speed but has to be reprogramed to open up 7th. Have not done much reading into the A4's. I have driven the Cat and yea has plenty of gears if you would ever need them. Problem is someone to fix them if they break and you can destroy the transfer case if you don't let the RPM / road speed drop before you drop out of 16th or drop to low to fast. At my age give me an automatic or a Fuller 10 speed lot less thinking. A simple gear set change would make the A2 a nice highway machine. I don't do that much highway driving, just once up to Denton farm park for the rally in NC. pulling 35k GVW. Hills were no problem and the Allison does not even drop a gear plus you see more things at 55mph. LOL

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally found a photo. Had the M915 since around 1995ish and did a frame off restoration on it and it entered its first show in 1999 at the MVPA Convention in Tobyhanna. It does have the 16 Speed Cat and I do not see what everyone dislikes about it. Took this photo in 2017 while heading to Carlisle Barracks for Army Heritage Days. This truck has been as far as Evansville for the convention in 2009. Has added A/C, air ride seats, and custom rear fenders

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does have the 16 Speed Cat and I do not see what everyone dislikes about it.

Don't know about dislike and it was not hard to master as long as you know the does and don'ts.
There is something to be said about and automatic just set it forget it. Wish I had the Allison seven speed but my little Allison four speed does it's job well for what I do.
I have never met a machine I don't like only some people.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's hard not to like an automatic transmission in stop and go traffic, I don't care what kind it is.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's hard not to like an automatic transmission in stop and go traffic, I don't care what kind it is.
This is so true, as I'm on the verge of a recovery on Saturday in my 915 Freightliner clone. I'm heading down and back through Atlanta the day before the super bowl is held in.... Atlanta. I'm leaving early but I'm guessing the return trip will not be fun. I've painted the truck and I'll post pictures soon.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally found a photo. Had the M915 since around 1995ish and did a frame off restoration on it and it entered its first show in 1999 at the MVPA Convention in Tobyhanna. It does have the 16 Speed Cat and I do not see what everyone dislikes about it. Took this photo in 2017 while heading to Carlisle Barracks for Army Heritage Days. This truck has been as far as Evansville for the convention in 2009. Has added A/C, air ride seats, and custom rear fenders
Is that a 901?

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hammer

Actually, I have the 5th wheel off my M818 on it currently.
I have another sliding hitch that will go on it soon as I can get some time to splice it together.
The Landoll trailers have an adjustable neck height. I can set it ON the ground, or about 3" off the ground (like I did for the forklift,) or raise it about 2' off the ground if needed for more clearance. It has 7 positions. I LOVE that trailer!

Lukes_deuce

Finally got to the pull the trigger and joined the big boy club with a 915a1! What a difference from a 5ton. I love the big cam, she towed the trailer and 923a2 with out struggling.

20190623_103908.jpg

Has any one installed a PTO onto the Allison? Im having a hard time finding a pto for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks