• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tiny House On A Steel Soldier “Redux” Expedition Build

After spending ten months and 20,000 miles on the road in our m931a2 with a m109a3 shop van piggybacking on its back, we have come back to our shop in Philipsburg, Mt. to build a true expedition vehicle. The family learned a lot living full time in a military truck, having the time of our lives. The setup we left with last year was just a step above camping, now its time to take it to the next level.
The goal:
When we hit the trail next time the truck performs like a true expediton vehicle so the family never wants to stop.

Attachments

Last edited:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please keep us updated with lots of pictures of the build.

And thanks for providing us with a lot of info from the last trip, it was great reading!

Coming back to the shop in February, we spent more time cutting wood to burn with -40 below nights then working on the project. The shop can burn up to 20 cords of wood during the winter season, this season being rougher then many. Plus the fact that we had been gone for almost a year, tons of issues needed to be solved just to get life stated again.

Attachments

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
**** a 10 month vacation and 20,000 miles with an entire family on the road? What’re you doing for work I’m in the WRONG field

First we had to get the shop up to a working temp. Move out of the m931a2 into a RV behind the shop. Then it was time to rip out m109a3’s current interior and decided how deep we were going to get into this remodel.

Attachments

Last edited:
Because of mold issues of the previous trip we decided to strip it down extracting all the fiberglass insulation and to check the integrity of the box. I have to say that ripping out the insulation was a major pain.

Attachments

Last edited:
Off to buy Steel

With the M109a3 stripped down to the frame from the inside, and completing a inspection of the original frame build and its years of use. We decided to beef up the internal structure by building the walls and cabinets out of steel tubing. We planned on welding a hidden roll cage system that would give our kids a fighting chance if we were to lay the rig on it side.
As always when I decide to fabricate in steel, prices rise 30% a week.

Attachments

Last edited:
Starting the tack up with my Lincoln Electric 3200 weld/pac burning .030 flux core. I quickly became displeased with the quality of my welds. So I ordered a Miller Multimatic 200 mig/tig/stick inverter welder, welding the frame with C25 argon/co2 mix .030 wire. My wife wanted a better shower/tube solution, so I decided to cantilever a larger tub/shower out the back of the m109a3. We purchase a Hypertherm 30xp Plazma cutter so cutting the tub/shower hole would be easier then with a cutoff wheel.

Attachments

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting the tack up with my Lincoln Electric 3200 weld/pac burning .030 flux core. I quickly became displeased with the quality of my welds. So I ordered a Miller Multimatic 200 mig/tig/stick inverter welder, welding the frame with C25 argon/co2 mix .030 wire. My wife wanted a better shower/tube solution, so I decided to cantilever a larger tub/shower out the back of the m109a3. We purchase a Hypertherm 30xp Plazma cutter so cutting the tub/shower hole would be easier then with a cutoff wheel.
I have that same welder. You're going to like it a lot!

Plazma cutting into the M109a3 was touch and go. I tried to clean my cut area as best I could. The original builder sprayed in a rubber rust proofing which was hidden in mass behind panels and frame members. i couldn’t get to it to clean up causing horrible fumes and torch like flames on the opposite side of my cut line. Quite unnerving at times, causing us to where gas masks and hold a fire extinguisher. But my thirteen year old daughter and I got it done.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks