• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m998 hard starting with cold engine

crazzyrman

My '86 m998 doesn't want to start when the engine is cooled down, it restarts just fine when out running around as long as I restart within a couple hours. The truck was starting right up after letting the glow plugs cycle until sometime over the winter & when the issue started I just assumed that it was because it was below freezing & I hadn't put any additives in the diesel, but now its in the 70s & the truck is getting even harder to start. The truck had a new glow plug controller put in about 2 years ago & a rebuilt injector pump installed March a year ago.
At this point it seams like the only way I can get it to start is after the glow plug cycle, I have to crank & crank & crank the starter while rapidly pumping the accelerator & the truck eventually starts.

NormB

Any smoke? White? smell like unburned diesel?

Without knowing more specifics, I’m guessing it’s glowpugs. Highly unlikely they’d all die all at once. Circuit’s blown, not heating. Pull a cap off one, attach a VOM to it and ground and turn switch to position 1. You should read 24 volts. No power, no glow, hard to start.

Low voltage, no voltage? control box.

Which PCB did you install? Latest model, Nartron S3 straightened starting problems right up for me (the one with the three plugs, one port aft not used).

The compression on these things is something like 23 to 1. Pumping enough diesel into the chamber should change the PV=nRT equation enough to hit diesel’s flashpoint eventually. Only takes one cylinder to fire, backpressure/warm exhaust bringing up the temp of a few other cylinders.

Does your engine kind of start, rattle, ping, smooth out in a minute or so?

Protective Control Box sounds like the culprit. Not the first time one of those has gone t!ts up not long after installation, grounding problems, not disconnecting batteries when working on wiring, the older boxes weren’t that robust. Simpler, but less protection to ground faults.

Oh, and do you have the grounding harness (Kascar type) installed?

That’s all I got.

Good luck.

crazzyrman

White smoke while cranking, goes away very quickly once is starts.
Once it starts it smooth out to regular idle sound within seconds.
Its the newer "good" glow plug controller box.
I don't remember if the previous owner installed the grounding harness (I think he said he did, but that is a 2 year old memory), how would I check?

NormB

White smoke while cranking, goes away very quickly once is starts.
Once it starts it smooth out to regular idle sound within seconds.
Its the newer "good" glow plug controller box.
I don't remember if the previous owner installed the grounding harness (I think he said he did, but that is a 2 year old memory), how would I check?
The gound wire connects battery, engine, PCB (up top at head bolts), starter, frame IIRC, all wires come together to one larger lug bolted to the most convient place on the engine to do it, which is under the dog house.

crazzyrman

Was the gpc or pcb replaced 2 years ago? What does the wait light do when cold?
Yes the glow plug controller was new 2 years ago, its the new "good" version, the wait light comes on with the ignition at position 1 for about 10-15 seconds (I haven't actually timed it) like it always did.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a temp switch in the pass head at the back of the block (coolant) and its function is to retard the timing at the injector pump until the temp is up a bit. Mine was bad and had the same problem and when replaced the problem was gone. Just a thought.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks