• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Mileage..

LT67

..... or lack of :D

Just curious what some of y'all are getting for fuel mileage from your CUCV. My M1008 with 35's gets 17-18mpg on the highway running 55-57mph. Stop n go driving while running errands it just drinks fuel... 10-11mpg. That sound normal?

Iceman3005

Mine seems to get around 17-18 driving back and forth to work. If I do a lot of stop and go, it gets around 15. It's never dropped below 15 mpg.

Barrman

Diesel engines are great constant speed motors. Make them pull a 7,000 pound square barn door up to speed, sit at a light and repeat is not showing their good side. Especially if you are trying to keep up with traffic when pulling away from a light.

Your numbers sound pretty right on.

blueblaze

18mpg? Wow. I've only gotten that with a Blazer. I get 15mpg regardless if I have a load or not, with slight variations. Even with the nv4500 swap. I do have my pump turned up though and heavy 33s, but its an entirely new injection and fuel system. Even before with the 400 I only got about 15mpg. The overdrive just increased drive ability and top end. With the 700r4 installed prior to the Nv4500, it was such a dog. The OD in the 700r4 was too low for anything bigger then an ant hill and the constant downshifts didn't make it worthwhile. Sometimes I wish I lived in the prairies. Meanwhile my 85 half ton C10 with a cummins and a 5 speed does 32mpg easily, more if you drive like a senior. And can still do a 2nd gear burnout. The turbo is definitely the key to using all the fuel the engine can deliver.

nyoffroad

As a truck driver I've learned a few things about fuel economy.
Tires with tall side walls are NOT your friend, the flex more and cost you money.
The more aggressive the tread = lower MPG , not what you want to hear!
Synthetic oils and greases are your friend, use them and you'll love em.
Your pump is turned up lets say 10% well that equates to a 105 LOSS in MPG
The rest is how you drive.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a 6.5 turned up 1/4 turn, and a ram air snorkel tube on a otherwise bone stock M1028A1. I get 19-21. Towing my tractor I get 17. I mostly only run 50MPH.

Last edited:

LT67

Cool.... thx for the responses.

I figgered my mileage was about as good as it's going to get considering the gearing, tires and minor lift. It's still much better fuel mileage than the 406sbc in my 79K20... lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks