• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 for 1 :) BEST fuel mileage/Engine Combo for a Deuce

neil2007

I'm considering doing a PS 7.3 idi, Automatic swap into my 53 Reo Gasser... Was wondering what combination people think is best the best all around combo...

Also, I was wondering what the best Fuel mileage (if any :D) has been that people have gotten on a regular basis in their modified deuces...

Please post MPG, Engine/Trans and Tire combo.

Thanks!

Neil

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm considering doing a PS 7.3 idi, Automatic swap into my 53 Reo Gasser... Was wondering what combination people think is best the best all around combo...

Also, I was wondering what the best Fuel mileage (if any :D) has been that people have gotten on a regular basis in their modified deuces...

Please post MPG, Engine/Trans and Tire combo.

Thanks!

Neil
A powerstroke and an IDI are two different engines. Same displacement but different animals.

A DT466 is a cheaply sourced motor with tons of power and zero electronics if you wanted to run one. You can buy a whole school bus with an allison AT545 and swap the whole powerplant in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

neil2007

I currently have PS on the brain... I've got a modded 2008 F250 6.4 and an International 7.3 (My bad... Thanks for pointing that out... although I know the difference, my fingers were too fast on the PS and my brain didn't catch that fact that I typed it in front of the idi... (long night last night) :-o)

I also DO have the whole school bus that I was thinking of using the complete powertrain, steering, and brakes from. OR I could also go the other way, I've got a Fuel injected 5.4 with an Auto and a Divorce mount 205 (IF I can't make the spacing work out right for the factory 2 1/2 ton transfercase).

What are some thoughts on going with either option?

Thanks!

Neil

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever you put in be prepared to upgrade all the other stuff that's going to break from all that extra power.

snowtrac nome

I think a 7.3 idi would be a dog in a duce and I'm no fan of the power joke. your best performance and economy would come from a 12 valve cummins which you can get an sae bell housing for which means you can keep the transmission. I like the cornbinder and cat options too, but for economy and power nothing beats the b series cummins, and as far as reliability the 12 valve is at the top of the hill.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob it, put on the biggest tires you can and you'll probably get the best mileage.

teletech

I have nothing against the 7.3 in a 1-ton vehicle but it doesn't have the torque for a deuce. I think you'd do well with The DT466. A Cummins 5.9 or DT360 might get you a little better mileage than the 466, they will be a bit marginal for power but should provide about the same performance as the multifuel.
I will recommend you stay far away from the Allison AT series, with no lockup they really hurt mileage and power. Go find an MT series if you are going to run an auto box.
Honestly, I've been reading threads about it for a good while and desplined hubs on a regular multifuel deuce seems to get about as good mileage as most of the swaps that have been done so if you want an out of the box solution there it is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks